It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

JoJo's Girl HB User
Blood in Toddler's Stool

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has run across this. My daughter is 2 1/2 and has firm stools, kind of pellet-like but large. She has a movement every 3-4 days, and when she does there is bright red blood on the outside of the stool. Doc thinks it's probably fissures and said to use miralax but I don't want her system to get accustomed to it. I would love to try some other more natural methods. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what have you tried? I give her prune juice every day and have started giving her baby food prunes too but it doesn't make the movements any softer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

soccermom128 HB User
Re: Blood in Toddler's Stool

My younger son had the same problem when he was a toddler. He would get very constipated too. I never tried any medication with him and his pediatrician never recommended it either. Lots of fiber is all I can remember! Fresh fruits and veggies, I specifically remember pears being recommended by his doctor. Also (and I can't remember at what age it's safe), but popcorn is high in fiber and kids usually love it. I used to give my son snacks of popcorn and pears . He had the problem for several years and then he finally outgrew it. I know dairy can make things worse and bananas are not a good fruit if you're constipated. My son is 10 now and eats a lot of multi grain cereal. His favorite is Grape Nuts, weird for a kid . But anything that's whole grain is good. I would start with diet and see if anything changes. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Yup, probably fissures. My daughter had the same thing. Miralax is very safe to use and she will not become dependent on it. It just holds water in the bowels to make the stool softer. My daughter was on it for two years and no problems.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

JoJo's Girl HB User

Thank you so much for the replies...after trying some of the natural remedies we did in fact try the miralax and it worked. We have her on it every other day to see how she does. Hopefully she will grow out of it too!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Miralax is nothing to be nonchalant about. This a medicine that contains chemicals going into such a little ones body. I experienced this with my daughter and I never used any medicine.

I can tell you three things.
1)Make sure she drinks more water, especially when it is warm or hot outside.
2) Diet induced, evaulate her diet.
3)Natural methods can work.

My daughter at that age went through the same thing. The thing with Miralax is that it does not solve the problem and people tend to use it when one is having problems like these, but are they really looking into the cause or the root of the problem?

I can tell you it took me about a month to realize that my daughter needed more water because of the weather, less milk, yogurt and bread and we use organic apple juice to help her go. We let her take her time to push. The apple juice helped to her, but it stopped when I looked at her diet and water intake and as soon as I figured it out, she stopped. Miralax does not do that for you. I am glad you are looking into natural methods first!

Also, a doctor if going to tell you to go home and use Miralax or prescribe you something because they are in the business of using drugs. Many doctors no longer look into diet and nutrition or other simple methods because there is no money in that for the health industry and the second reason is that many people go to the doctor to get something, not for advice.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 06-18-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

I've gotta agree with the previous poster on this one...I wouldn't rely too heavily on the Miralax. Don't treat the symptoms. Treat the problem. It's most likely her diet that is causing her so much discomfort. I feel for you little girl - I, myself, had fissures after the birth of my own baby (a grown woman!). They are PAINFUL!!! Constipation and pushing too hard makes it worse, and they will not heal unless her system is healed first. Trust me. I learned the hard way!!!
I would suggest less milk (for the time being) and MORE water, grains, fiber, organic apple/prune/pear juice. This is definitely the way to go!

Closed Thread