It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

tashoooo HB User
constantly coughing

my 7 yr old son is constantly clearing his throat it doesnt bother him or i dont even think he realises he's doing it what could be the problem??

Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: constantly coughing

I would have him checked by your doctor. Often its a tic sort of a nervous problem that they are not even aware of. Make sure though its not a medical problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
(male)

jmhky HB User

Sounds like my daughter. She has allergies which keep her sinuses inflammed constantly. With her, the cough and throat clearing usually get worse and nonstop right before she gets hit with a sinus infection. After 3 years of chronic sinus infections, we're finally on the right track to hopefully give her some relief. In addition to her daily dose of zyrtec, and bi-weekly allergy shots, just a few months ago she was started on nasonex every day (prescription steriod nasal spray) and mucinex as needed (over the counter medicine that helps thin mucous). These 2 medicines have really decreased the amount of throat clearing and coughing in her. Since the nasal steriod spray shrinks inflammation in the sinuses and the mucinex thins that sinus drainage, it's a great combination to allow for the mucous to drain easier down the throat. It's the inflammation of the sinuses and thick sinus mucous trying to drain down the back of the throat that cause the constant throat clearing and cough in my daughter.

If your son hasn't had problems in years before, have you recently moved to a different house or a new location or maybe added a house pet which could've started this (which would tell you he possibly has an allergy to something new he's been exposed to).

You could also ask your son if his ears pop or feel full or if he has any ear, nose, or throat pain. My daughter often complains of her ears feeling "full" or something similar. And sometime complains of a sore throat when she's having a lot of post nasal drainage (down the back of the throat).

Also, has he been taking an antihistimine (benedryl, zrytec, allegra, claritin)? Although necessary to relieve allergy symptoms, they can thicken the mucous too. My daughter needs zrytec to help control her allergy symptoms, but we have to find the "fine line" of giving her enough to control her allergic symptoms without giving too much and causing thick sinus mucous, which just leads to more sinus infections because the mucous can't drain properly.

We've had to learn all this the long hard way so I hope maybe this will help you find answers or give you some direction.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

You should see an ent and an allergist, could be allergies though it can also be cause by gerd. Hope you get answers.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Whatever the cause of the coughing, you need a doctor to guide you through the process of obtaining a proper diagnosis. Whatever your son is experiencing, it needs to be discovered, so you can best help him overcome it. I would take your time, as this issue did not start recently. Any obstruction to the airways cause un-needed stress on the respiratory system. I wish you and your son the best,

Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
(female)

momto HB User

That was one of my sons first tics. He has since been diagnosid with Tourettes.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I agree with the others who encourage you to get a correct diagnosis, even if it takes many visits to different doctors along the way. I wish your family the best.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
(female)

SADMUM HB User
Smile Re: constantly coughing

Hi
I think I may be able to help you. My son from the age of 2 was clearing his throat constantly and kept coughing a lot. We saw our GP many times who either kept fobbing us off or told us it was asthema. He had constant ear infections and sometimes at night coughed so much at night he made himself sick. I used to cry a lot and was very desperate for help. He also used to say his ears were bunged up. By chance my dad worked with a guy whos wife worked at an allergy clinic. We went and they tested him and they told me he had an intolerance to cows milk products. My GP would not accept this but as he was no help, I did exactly as the allergy clinic told me. I was to cut out COMPLETELY all cows product and I put him on goats milk or soya milk. You have to check everything. Within 2 weeks he was completely better!!!! Yet not one medical person would accept this. I beleve it is because medical professionals wouldn't dream of telling someone to not give a child milk as they need to nutrients but goats milk is actually more nutricious. Years later when my daughter started the same I immediatley changed her milk and she was fine too. I spoke to her health visitor and she said she had written papers on this and no one would believe her either! Basically cows milk can be mucous producing in anyone. You can give small amounts when they are better and see how they react. My kids are now 18 and 11 and have both grown out of it now.

Hope this helps

Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
(female)

HAAR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashoooo View Post
my 7 yr old son is constantly clearing his throat it doesnt bother him or i dont even think he realises he's doing it what could be the problem??
Please know that chlorine tap water can cause endless daily coughing. I personally know because my children went through it when they were 3 and 6 years. Our 3 year old suffered the most because she was drinking more of the tap water than our 6 year old. After ten months of non stop coughs that would get so bad they could not sleep and needed antibiotics to clear up serious congestion, I found the cure. Other treatments from the pediatricians were also used but only worked a few days and the coughing would resume. I had taken a note and placed it in our kids medical box as to when the coughs started, and one day ten months later we discovered through our water company (the water company had been chlorine free) the we had been getting chlorination into our water supply at the same time (dates were a match) the coughs started. we started using bottled non chlorine water for their juices etc. The coughs stopped within 48 hours. our kids can't be the only humans in the world with this chlorine sensitivity/allergy. To this day even with my children being ages 22 and 19 if they start drinking chlorinated tap water at school work or a friends house the cough comes back.
The most noted return of the coughs after having years of no coughing came when our 6 year old became Jr high age and went to school and started P.E every day and started drinking from the water fountain at school because he was so thirsty. The cough came right away and as soon as I heard the coughing I asked questions to him and realized what was happening. He started using bottled water and ...no cough.
I am so grateful for a cure if our children had tap chlorine water as newborns the outcome would of been much graver.
just in case you has the same sensitivity as our children. How easy it was to just avoid chlorine tap water v.s. all the hundreds if not thousands of dollars spend on medications. Too bad our pediaticians did not have knowledge of this since it must be so rare. We could of avoided so many doctor visits and my kids would not of been coughing for ten months straight.
Our pediatician was also suggesting our daughter was developing asthma. Shes 19 now and has never had any asthma.
Maybe this information can help you and others.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
(female)

HAAR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashoooo View Post
Please know that chlorine tap water can cause endless daily coughing. I personally know because my children went through it when they were 3 and 6 years. Our 3 year old suffered the most because she was drinking more of the tap water than our 6 year old. After ten months of non stop coughs that would get so bad they could not sleep and needed antibiotics to clear up serious congestion, I found the cure. Other treatments from the pediatricians were also used but only worked a few days and the coughing would resume. I had taken a note and placed it in our kids medical box as to when the coughs started, and one day ten months later we discovered through our water company (the water company had been chlorine free) the we had been getting chlorination into our water supply at the same time (dates were a match) the coughs started. we started using bottled non chlorine water for their juices etc. The coughs stopped within 48 hours. our kids can't be the only humans in the world with this chlorine sensitivity/allergy. To this day even with my children being ages 22 and 19 if they start drinking chlorinated tap water at school work or a friends house the cough comes back.
The most noted return of the coughs after having years of no coughing came when our 6 year old became Jr high age and went to school and started P.E every day and started drinking from the water fountain at school because he was so thirsty. The cough came right away and as soon as I heard the coughing I asked questions to him and realized what was happening. He started using bottled water and ...no cough.
I am so grateful for a cure if our children had tap chlorine water as newborns the outcome would of been much graver.
just in case you has the same sensitivity as our children. How easy it was to just avoid chlorine tap water v.s. all the hundreds if not thousands of dollars spend on medications. Too bad our pediaticians did not have knowledge of this since it must be so rare. We could of avoided so many doctor visits and my kids would not of been coughing for ten months straight.
Our pediatician was also suggesting our daughter was developing asthma. Shes 19 now and has never had any asthma.
Maybe this information can help you and others.

Closed Thread