It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
(female)

chamel97 HB User
Red spots on spine -- not bruises

While we were on vacation, I noticed 3 or 4 red marks along my 8-year-old son's spine. I wondered if he had fallen or something, and somehow the skin had bruised showing the pattern of vertebrae. The spots then became like scabs, peeled off, and now there are white spots (that was about a month ago). So that led me to believe that they were not bruises.

This morning, I noticed the same type of marks on my 3-year-old son's spine. At this point, they look like bruises along the vertebrae. He has more spots than his brother, though. He has also had cold-like symptoms over the last few days.

Another thing I'm wondering is if it could have something to do with chicken pox, as they were exposed to my grandmother with an active shingles outbreak (that was in July; our vacation was the middle of August). We do not vaccinate.

I appreciate any light you might be able to shed on this mystery.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Red spots on spine -- not bruises

I honestly do not know. I had shingles as a teen as a side effect to taking Prednisone for poision ivy/oak/sumac and I had one large spot for shingles along my spine. It was painful and very ugly, almost blue/black bruise like with black spots and it changed colors back tp red/pink. I went to a doctor for this.

It could be possible that it is related to chicken pox. I would encourage you do to two things. One would be to research this for yourself and see what you come up with and while you wait for an appointment with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Did you ask your sons what might have happened to cause marks like that?

As kids, we used to pull each other by the legs, down the carpeted hallway. After several passes up and down the hallway, we'd get little rug burns on our backs, right along the spine. Sliding down the stairs on our backs would do the same thing. Being kids, the rug burns never bothered us at all, and we really didn't notice them until an adult (usually Mom, who would yell at us for it!) pointed it out.

Anyway, could it be something simple like that?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
(female)

chamel97 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I did ask my 8 y.o. at the time, and he couldn't think of anything. But, since they are so rowdy, he just might not have remembered anything out of the ordinary, lol!

I'll assume it's nothing serious since there really aren't any other symptoms or anything. I guess my initial reaction is always to freak out a little bit.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
(female)

anastasia912 HB User

My 6 year old son has the same thing. I just noticed today while he was swimming that there is a couple new ones up higher on his spine. Before they would appear around where the tag of his underwear might have rubbed. I figured that was what it was. But now, clearly that is not the case. The spots lower down were the first to show up and now are scabbing and the scab is coming off. The higher ones are red, circular, a little smaller than dime and it seems to hurt him when I apply pressure to it. Did you ever find out what it was on your daughter?

Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
(female)

anastasia912 HB User

Hi I just posted about my 6 year old son. I just realized you were talking about your 2 sons, not daughters. My apologies. Anyway, my sons also leave whitish marks after they scab up and fall off.....he does have a mild sinus cold right now, but no chicken pox has been in our community that I know of and he's never had chicken pox. I think I will take him to the doc just to make sure it isn't anything serious. Also, my son didn't know where it came from either.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
(female)

dogloverjg HB User

My son has the same problem,except there 3 to 4 spots on his lower spine. I have not noticed any scabbing. I am very concerned. He has seasonal allergies, low grade fevers, and a sore throat from time to time. He is vaccinated.

Closed Thread