It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

meldresler HB User
8 year old, intense abdominal pain, no fever

Hi,

My 8 year old daughter has been floored for about 3 weeks now with abdominal pain, apparently directly above her belly button with lesser pain on her right side and back/right. There seems to be constant low level pain, but then she has episodes of very intense "sharp" stabbing pain. When she has these episodes, her body temperature goes up about half a degree (to low 99s) but she hasn't run a fever at any point.

We've been to the doctor 7 times. They've done a kidney ultrasound and a stomach x-ray (kidney ultrasound was fine; stomach x-ray showed areas of build-up, but no general blockage, gave her miralax). They also found moderate microscopic hematuria in her urine, consistently (multiple tests). [They've also ruled out appendicitis multiple times]. She did take an antibiotic for 10 days for a presumed UTI although after the urine was spun in the lab, it was negative for infection, but positive for the moderate hematuria.

The latest is that a third pediatrician in the practice noted that her umbilical hernia never closed ... this is the exact spot of her pain, but he doesn't think this explains her pain. He thinks she is having abdominal spasms.

She's going to a surgeon for the hernia just because it should be closed up and a nephrologist for the hematuria (in 2 months). She's doubled over in pain at this moment. I have no idea what to do next.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
(female)

cdriscoll HB User
Re: 8 year old, intense abdominal pain, no fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldresler View Post
Hi,

My 8 year old daughter has been floored for about 3 weeks now with abdominal pain, apparently directly above her belly button with lesser pain on her right side and back/right. There seems to be constant low level pain, but then she has episodes of very intense "sharp" stabbing pain. When she has these episodes, her body temperature goes up about half a degree (to low 99s) but she hasn't run a fever at any point.

We've been to the doctor 7 times. They've done a kidney ultrasound and a stomach x-ray (kidney ultrasound was fine; stomach x-ray showed areas of build-up, but no general blockage, gave her miralax). They also found moderate microscopic hematuria in her urine, consistently (multiple tests). [They've also ruled out appendicitis multiple times]. She did take an antibiotic for 10 days for a presumed UTI although after the urine was spun in the lab, it was negative for infection, but positive for the moderate hematuria.

The latest is that a third pediatrician in the practice noted that her umbilical hernia never closed ... this is the exact spot of her pain, but he doesn't think this explains her pain. He thinks she is having abdominal spasms.

She's going to a surgeon for the hernia just because it should be closed up and a nephrologist for the hematuria (in 2 months). She's doubled over in pain at this moment. I have no idea what to do next.

You are not alone. My 8year old daughter is having the same pain since halloween. I spent halloween night in the er with them running test, abdominal xray, ct with contrast all with no answer other than it is not her appendix. The pediatrician told me to give her a stool softener but she has no issue going. We have another appointment tomorrow, this is so frustrating. Everything I read on the net is useless and vague.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

When I was 7, I had the same pain. It was from an umbilical hernia. Went in to have it fixed and at the same time they removed my appendix, which was so inflamed, it was about to burst. Hope you find an answer soon!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

songio3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldresler View Post
Hi,

Hello... recently my daughter is having the same issue with abdominal pain that has lasted a week now. She was hospitalized and given IV fluids but Dr. thinks it is inflamed lymph nodes due to some diarrhea that it started with.
What have you found out?

Thank you, Sonia

Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

cdriscoll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songio3 View Post
Hello... recently my daughter is having the same issue with abdominal pain that has lasted a week now. She was hospitalized and given IV fluids but Dr. thinks it is inflamed lymph nodes due to some diarrhea that it started with.
What have you found out?

Thank you, Sonia
We ended up in the ER again because the pain started to make my daughter cry, which she never cries because she has such a high tolerance for pain. They did another x-ray of her abdomine because they could not feel anything wrong and the last x-ray and CT showed nothing. When the x-ray came back the Dr got me and showed me, which they never do in the ER. She was impacted from her lower right side all the way to the top. It was amazing to see, she was completely clear on the bottom. When she went to the ER on halloween when this started they xrays showed nothing. They tried and enima with no result, she is such a trooper. They sent us home with instructions to take mirilax. I still had an appointment with the gastro coming up. We started the meds and it took 3 days of this stuff to even start to help. Needless to say she has gone a few times and says that there is less pressure in the stomach. We will still be going to the gastro this week just to make sure that we are getting ok or if this was caused by something else or has not been completely resolved.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
(female)

care_berry HB User

Just in case this might be helpful, I will post what happened to me here. When i was little, up until about 6 years of age, I had constant stomachaches. Doctors could never find anything wrong with me until our chiropractor did. He figured out that it was really food allergies to corn and milk that caused the issues in me. Once I got off those two foods, the stomachaches went away.

Closed Thread