It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
(female)

IheartAmber HB User
I can't get my toddler to brush his teeth

For the past 2years I have been struggling to get my toddler to brush his teeth. I try to help him, but he wants to do everything on his own, which basically means he eats the toothpaste As soon as I try to help him he starts throwing a tantrum, kicking, screaming, and fighting with me. I have bought everything imaginable for him including expensive battery operated toothbrush which land up in the toilet after 1-2 days.

Does anybody have an advice on how I can get him to brush and something that is not so pricey as the battery opt brushes? Thanks I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
(female)

Arzupedo HB User
Re: I can't get my toddler to brush his teeth

Hey there I hope that I can help you solve your brushing problem. I am a dental hygienist and I work in several pediatric dental offices. I get alot of the same complaints from the parents of my patients. One of my parents told me that they make brushing into a game. The parent and child take turns brushing and inspecting each other's mouth. This can be time consuming but it might be worth a shot.

You can also making brushing fun! If you are not comfortable using the spin brushes because they are too expensive you can try the Dr. Fresh Firefly toothbrush. It has a flashing light in the handle that acts a timer. The timer might not be so important for you right now until you can atleast get your son to brush, the flashing light might get him excited. They do come in various colors and designs like spiderman and range from $1-$3.00 at most local stores so you will not be spending too much even if it does end up in the toilet. I hope this helps please let me know once you try this brush how it works!

Keep Smiling!

Last edited by Arzupedo; 11-26-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
(female)

proudmommyof3 HB User

I can understand your frustration, and being a Mom of 3 I have experienced almost everything when it comes time for brushing. I have also tried the spin brush, but you know how kids are if one has it they all want it! I also found it to be over priced.

I have been using this dr fresh firefly toothbrush that the other person has commented on. My kids really like it, it's even less expesnive than a standard toothbrush and you get the added benefit of the light up timer! Give it a try I'm sure your son will love it!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User

My son is a little over two and in the morning while I'm getting ready and brushing my teeth, I let him do it on his own... if he eats the toothpaste and chews on the brush, then that's what he does, but after his bath in the evening, I brush his teeth, and that's just the way it is! He allows us to, even though he'd rather be doing it. But we just start with open wide, so we get all the back teeth. Then tell him to say cheese so we'll get the front ones, and then say "Tongue!" and he sticks it out. I know we're not brushing for the recommended time, but for now, we get one good brushing in a day, and that's as good as we can do.

Not to mention his daycare center has us bring toothpaste and toothbrushes for our children and they help him everyday as well. So that's a big help. I think they sing some kind of song to him, because he always tries to sing one when he's brushing his own teeth! lol

Hope it was somewhat helpful to you!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
(female)

IheartAmber HB User

I just want to say thanks so much for all of the great advice. I love the singing part! I can just imagine how cute he must looking brushing and singing together! I was at Target over the weekend and I found this firefly toothbrush. I let my son pick out the brush he wanted, I think he picked blue or something. But he did like it and I saw they even make flossing sticks, he asked if we could buy them too! Let's hope he doens't lose interest in his new firefly brush!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I just told my girls that it was Mommy's turn and if they screamed and threw a fit, I put the toothbrush away, they went to time out for throwing a tantrum, and they didn't get their teeth brushed. We did that a few times and they quickly learned not to throw a fit about it.

With my 16 month old now, we do Mommy's turn first, and then she gets to have a turn. With my almost 6 year old and my almost 4 year old, they brush their teeth first now, and then mom or dad will "check" their teeth to make sure they did a good job.

Closed Thread