It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
(female)

Whnew12 HB User
Painful Neck Lumps

Hi everyone. I am concerned about my daughter. She has 2 lumps at the back of her neck that are very tender to the touch and if she moves her head from side to side or up and down. She has had these for just 2 days now and this morning I noticed she now has 3 smaller lumps at the side of her neck which are also painful to the touch. I have read that this could be due to her fighting an infection but she is well otherwise. She has no other symptoms of illness/infection and is eating, sleeping and playing as normal.

If anyone has any advice or information for me I would be vey greatful, thank you xx

Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Painful Neck Lumps

hmmm....sounds like lymph nodes and they very well can act up or swell if a child has an infection. However, since she appears to be acting OK, then I am not sure what it could be. I suggest you take her to the doctor right away. Swollen lymph nodes are nothing to play around with. I once had an enlarged one in my groin area that cause me no pain or discomfort, but I had to have it removed. Luckily, it was benign.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would have to agree here just getting her evaluated by her doc and some labs done too just to really see how things are really would be the best thing to do at this point. espescially since it IS a painful issue and it also appears to be progressing. swollen lymph nodes too would be my best guess. just seeing what her white blood cell count/breakdown is would show more than likely if she IS fighting some type of infection or virus. but this is most definitely a 'see her doc' issue. hopefully it will just run its course here. but do get her seen. good luck and please keep us posted, Marcia

Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

Whnew12 HB User

Thanks for all your replies everyone I managed to get an appointment this afternoon and got my daughter in to see the doctor. He didn't seem concerned and just said the swelling will go down in a few days and there's nothing to worry about. The lymph nodes swelling is probably due to an infection which can be as little as a small scratch in the mouth and that if she seems well in herself then everything is ok. Def. glad I got her checked though.

Thanks once again xx

Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did that doc actually DO any lab work on her to really just 'see' how her system is responding to whatever this is? if he did not, i would seriously take her back for just that. its kind of hard to really say what is causing anything til you really start testing what would just show or not show in lab number changes when anyone is sick with certain viruses or bacterial infections. its ruling in or out possibles to get the best possible treatment and care. this just 'is' basic primary care for what she is displaying right now, thats all.

if he did not do labs,and espescially if she gets worse or nothing changes over the next few days,get her back in there FOR some basic labs. hopefully whatever this is will pass, but if not, you just know what to do there. good luck to her and you with this. marcia

Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

Whnew12 HB User

Hiya. No he didn't do any tests. He asked some questions and then felt her neck and said they will go in 10 days or so and if not to bring her back. I'm hoping the lumps will disappear in a few days, we're keeping an eye on her and we'll take her back to be checked if they do not disappear in a week or so.

Thank you xx

Closed Thread