It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Need help with eczema in 2yr old

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has had eczema since birth. When she was an infant, we were able to keep it under control with a soy formula and unscented lotions.

As of a few month ago, it has gotten out of control. Her face is so red from scratching at night - it looks like she got into a fight with a cat! Her little hands are so red and raw that it looks like she burned herself! Help!

I've tried aquaphor, vaseline (as recommended by pediatrican), eucerine cream, Aveeno bath oil (what a mess!), and cortizone. I even gone into her room at night and smear vaseline on the poor child.

Tonight after the bath (with DOVE unscented soap), I noticed that her legs are now scaly red patches! Errrr!!!!

I'm so frustrated. It pains me to see her in such discomfort. She's constantly scratching and now recites on her own "Don't scratch, just rub Mommy."

I recently switched her to soy milk this week in the hopes of some relief as I have heard this can help.

Does anyone out there have a miracle potion/lotion??? Thank you!!!!

Last edited by LauraLu; 01-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Need help with eczema in 2yr old

Have you had her tested for any other allergies? She could have an egg or wheat allergy that is setting off the eczema. I would have her further tested. So sorry your little one is going through this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

once again HB User
Thumbs up Re: Need help with eczema in 2yr old

Laura I went through a bad case of exzema after I gave birth to my second child and I found out that my platelet count was down Have your daughters blood checked, I took 45 minute baths using the Aveeno oatmeal bath I also used a tar soap it did not smell good but it really helped the itching I had lost all my hair from this but now 30 years later I still have no problems. If I start itching I use Aveeno soap. Good luck

Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Have her checked for gluten intolerance and all other food allergies. Get her on some high quality, gluten free probiotics. Her little guts are probably a mess from all this. Get the inflammation in her gut and colon settled down and you might get some where. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Thank you so much for the replies. Allergies did cross my mind. I did read that people with eczema usually have an allergy to food. I'm going to make an appointment with her pediatrian about testing. However, she's had this since birth, so wouldn't that eliminate a food allergy? I mean she only drank formula for the first 7 months and still had eczema, just not as severe. Although maybe something in food brought it out worse?
Kittyroo, it's interesting that you mentioned gluten intolerance. It really does seem like there is a link here. I was actually tested for this (celiacs) last June because my own guts were such a mess (yeah TMI, sorry). All my tests came back negative, including food allergies. I went from 170 lbs to 133lbs in the span of 4 months. It still makes me wonder though considering my own little girl is so sensitive.
I appreciate all of your replies very much. It is definitely something I plan on exploring further. Thanks again!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi Laura, my son went through this as well from infancy - he is now 7 and still has outbreaks. I do remember the doc giving a prescription cream at one time but can't remember the name. Anyway aquafor worked the best - put it on while the skin is still somewhat wet from a bath. Also this may sound nasty but our doc had us cut down baths in the winter to only twice a week because water is drying to the skin. As for allergies yup - be prepared as my son is allergic to alot of things - foods as well as environmental. We had him tested at 2 and didn't come up with much (doc said testing at this age not always so reliable) Had him tested again at 5 and OH BOY! lots of positives. I wish you luck and it does get better. Cutting down on the baths really did help alot.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
(female)

tiredoftests HB User

hi there

i know exactly what you are going through! both of my girls have eczema. I have tried everything you mentioned and then some! Every miracle cream on the market. they all help for a week or so and then its back.

My eldest, at 6, is now starting to grow out of it, but my 2.5 yr old scratches herself raw. It is heart breaking.

I have been using "Cutivate" prescribed by her dermatoligist for the past several months. Although very expensive (120 per script) it works wonders! My daughter seems so much more content and happy. Her skin is so soft I have cried with relief. PLEASE take your little one to a dermatoligist. Her primary kept prescribing steroids which is horrible in large quantities to little people!

I hope and pray that this lotion will work as well for your daughter as it has mine. Good luck

Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

My doctor told me that virtually all cases of eczema are due to food allergies, with wheat and milk being big culprits. Also, Dove soap, even the unscented kind, sets me on fire!!! I have never been able to use it, nor can I use Gain laundry detergent.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Have you had her tested, or asked her doc about allergies yet?
I was going to suggest allergies as well--egg is a big one for eczema, but it's definitely not the only one that can cause it. You asked about her being on formula--it's totally possible that she was allergic to the formula, thus developed the ezcema. Cow's milk proteins are the biggest culprit for allergies in lo's, but the proteins are very similar to soy, so the two often go hand in hand.
I would get her on a dairy free and soy free diet to begin with, and *I* would go as far as reading labels (and it can be tough I know, I was on one while my nursling couldn't tolerate dairy and soy), but know that it can take up to 6 weeks for the cow's milk proteins to be completely out of her system. You might see results right away, and you might not. But it's a start. My thinking is that you might as well do them both off the bat, then if she improves, try soy to see if she can tolerate it. Kind of kills two birds with one stone, KWIM? I would also defintely see a pediatric allergist to have her tested (although as another poster mentioned, it MIGHT not be completely accurate at her age).

ETA: I would also start using a free and clear detergent (if you're not already), and not using any soap on her, unless absolutely necessary (I only use it on certain areas of my little guys with ezcema--armpits, bums, etc.), plus moisturizing RIGHT out of the bath, and no towel drying. It seals in the moisture that way. I lift them out of the water, moisturize with vaseline, jammies, and that's it. It's really helped.
Let us know how it goes!
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Last edited by WhiskersOnKittens; 02-08-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

How is your daughter doing now? Have things cleared up at all?

I went through the same thing with my youngest just after we started her on whole milk. We switched her back to gentle formula (parent's choice brand) and her itching rash, flaky dry skin, and all other eczema symptoms went away within a few days. After about a month we tried whole milk again, and it all came back, so she's been on gentle formula ever since..... and hasn't had a single symptom come back.

Unless you've researched the pros and cons, I would caution against using soy as a substitute, as a lot of researchers say it's full of estrogen and can cause future problems. I don't know anything else about it, but it might be worth looking into?

Closed Thread