It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

geogal HB User
Six year old and pubic hair?

My daughter will be seven this summer. Recently, she had to give a urine sample at the doctors. While I was helping her, I noticed that she had several long, straight pubic hairs. I would never be able to tell if she was standing there in the shower or something. Is this normal? I never asked the doctor because the urine test was on the way out.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User
Re: Six year old and pubic hair?

That is kinda young, but children are developing much sooner these days than ever before. I have a friend with an 8 year old daughter that just started her period. I didn't get mine til I was 16?!?!?! lol If you are really concerned, I'd call her doc, she might need her hormone levels checked, but honestly, I'd just slack it off to the foods and things that are injected into meats now days... its crazy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

geogal HB User

That's the thing though. We are big on organic foods and especially milk. Now, I know just because it says organic doesn't mean a lot but her diet really is pretty good comparatively. I think I will give her pediatrician a call. I did a bit of reading online. She is really tall for her age and looks like there can be issues with that.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
(female)

sjb81 HB User

I was going to ask if you were big meat eaters. I've heard a lot of reports that indicate that meat is a huge part of why we're developing so much faster than we did in the past...the growth hormones that are injected into the animals are being passed to humans as they eat the meat. But you being an organic buff as you say, I would consider other possibilities. (Well, I'd never just limit the possibilities in the 1st place...but the meat thing was the 1st thing I thought of when reading this.)

What did your ped end up saying about it? I'm sure people develop differently but I agree, 6/7 is pretty young.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

I wouldn't worry about it to much,she is young but like the others have said everyone is starting younger. But if you do feel she it to young get her hormone levels checked. If they are high then the doctor may give you a /you could ask for a hormone blocker for you to give her which would stop her from growing hairs and starting periods until you feel she is older enough.

Take care,

Dan.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
(female)

nitikasnv HB User
ya agree:

Hi,

Agree you are right.

Its not a health problem today this is very normal it depends upon your hormone.

But yes she is has to care about her food and her diet.

But if you very concerned then consult doctor.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

I don't find it to be normal at all.
Bisphenol-A, found in many plastics, can disrupt the endocrine system. It mimics female hormones. 93% of Americans have it in their urine. It is banned in Canada. The FDA has just acknowledged that it is a problem in the US. Exposure can occur from many sources, from a vinyl shower curtain, to the lining in the inside of cans, to plastic washed in the dishwasher, especially plastics labeled 3, 6, and 7.
Best of luck with your little lady.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I have to agree with Tommy here. I think you should have her checked out by the doctor.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Your daughter is a little young to have developed hair in her private area, though you must know that yes, it can be normal for her and no, it may not be. the only way to know is to request that her hormone levels be checked, it's a simple blood test that will definately put your mind at ease. If this is any comfort my daughter developed hair at a really young age and i did have her tested and everything was fine. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
(female)

Mamaknowsbest HB User

Well, I am only 32, but I also developed very early. I started growing pubic hair in 3rd grade and by 4th grade, I had a lot. In fact, the girls starting calling me "bush" in the locker room. I was so embarrassed that I shaved it all off. That was not a pleasant experience as I got super razor burn. I got my period right after I turned 10 and my sister didn't get hers until she was 14. We lived in teh same house and ate the same food. Anyway, some girls just develop early, but if you're really concerned just mention it to your pediatrician.

Closed Thread