It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Son had his meatal stenosis surgery

My 3 year old son had his surgery last Thursday and it went very well. The procedure was quick and he has a few stitches in his penis. He has some bruising but had no trouble peeing after the surgery and was eating and playing soon after we got home.

That's the good news....

The bad news is the post-op work we have to do for 6 weeks. Twice a day, we have to insert a small object into his pee hole so the surgery spot heals properly. Well, as you can imagine, is AWFUL! My poor son just screams and cries. I don't know exactly how much it hurts vs. how much he just hates us holding him down and doing it. I am sure it is uncomfortable for him and am hoping it won't be as bad a few weeks from now, once the surgery spot heals.

If anyone else has gone through this, can you please share your story? Thanks to those for their support.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 01-31-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

Triple Threat HB User
Re: Son had his meatal stenosis surgery

My DS had this same surgery done a couple years ago. We were told prior to surgery that we could try the "stretching" technique that you described with the little plastic thing OR the surgery - never was it recommended to do both.

I felt bad enough for my DS having to have gone through the surgery, I couldn't imagine having to do that, especially right after the surgery. NO WAY!

From the child development side of it all, the psychological implications that being held down and forced to endure the stretching just seemed barbaric. We choose the surgery and haven't looked back.

My DS's surgery was a success, and still is several years later. I do require HIM to pull open the hole with almost every shower, but this was way after the 6 weeks and the stitches were gone and tip had healed.

HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Son had his meatal stenosis surgery

Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't say we are stretching him at all. The spot could easily heal shut so they asked us to simply insert a very tiny tube into the hole. It still is something we hate to do, but it seems logical so that the area does not close on its own. We never heard about the stretching technique verses the surgery.

It sounds like they didn't have you do any of this with your son and I am wondering why our docs are asking us to do it. I almost would like a second opinion, but I know we are working with some of the best docs in the pediatric urology field. I just hate having to do the post-op work.

Closed Thread