It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

lfillmore HB User
son really fatigued

Hoping someone has seen anything like the symptoms that my son has. Honestly, we have believed that he has mono, but the test results continue to be inconclusive, the doctors are baffled and we are searching for directions to look next.

For over a month he has been extremely tired. He complains of headaches and sore throat, especially in the morning and sometimes late at night. Sometimes he also complains that his stomach hurts. No fever, no vomiting, he eats, but his appetite is way down. Eyes tend to be red, and look tired. Sometimes he sleeps during the day, but mostly just lies around on the couch. He has had good days. A couple of weeks ago he started feeling better. Played soccer, went to school for 3 days and has been down almost since. He has had days where he feels better, but hasn't looked right, and those days he can't handle a lot. A movie or out to eat can wear him out.

Blood test look good. White counts are around 5000. Nothing indicating inflamation. No swollen glands or spleen. Mono tests twice have been inconclusive only show the second epstein barr titer, but not even at a high enough level to make you think he has it. Strep tests have been negative.

We are starting a fishing expedition today with full blood chem panels and chest x-rays. He seems to be slowly getting worse.

The kid has missed so much school and just wants to go back and see his friends. He is saying that TV is boring and he wants to do something. He will turn 12 in the middle of this month.

Anyone seen anything like this that seems to be viral and has lasted so long?

We are just stumped and frustrated not being able to do anything for him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
(female)

SallyD HB User
Re: son really fatigued

just a suggestion..Have them check for addison's disease,,My Nephew had it and that was his first symptom...there is a thread on it here. Good luck sal

Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Addison's AND thyroid for sure. Some of the symptoms you list are dead on for low thyroid. So many MDs have no idea what a decent thyroid panel looks like.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
(female)

soccermom128 HB User

My 12 year old son had the exact same symptoms for about a month. He didn't seem quite as fatigued as your son, however, was complaining on and off of sore throat, headache and stomach ache with no fever or swollen lymph nodes. After a couple of weeks, I took him to the pediatrician and they suspected mono and did the "spot test". The test was negative but he had elavated lymphocites which apparently are often seen with the epstein barr virus, however can be elavated with other viruses as well. He gradually got better, so I'm assuming it was just viral. I do also have a friend with a 9 year old son that had symptoms very similar to your son. He was extremely fatigued (to the point that he would fall asleep sitting up), sore throat, headaches, stomach aches and vomiting. His doctor did numerous tests and the only thing they that was conclusive was the elavated lyphocites! This went on for a few months. I know there are some crazy viruses out there and so many of them too and it can get really frustrating when you can't get any answers. Your original post was about a week ago. How is your son now? Has he had anymore tests?

Closed Thread