It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

kimde HB User
Tummy aches and chest pain

My five-year-old son has been complaining of stomachaches four or five times a week for months. It seems recently that they are hurting him more often and more intensely. He isn't really sick--just the consistent tummy ache. Last week he said that his chest hurt on the left side, just below his nipple. It doesn't hurt to the touch, but in his words, "down deep inside." I figured he had heartburn, but honestly don't know. It has been occurring more often, and now I am getting worried. When I mentioned it to his doctor quite a few months ago, he didn't seem concerned and told me to keep a food log. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I started to take dairy out of his diet about two weeks ago, but he is still not well.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Tummy aches and chest pain

Have you been keeping a food log? It sounds a lot like acid indigestion or heartburn. I get it really bad when I'm pregnant (like now!) and what you are describing sounds exactly like what I go through after I eat certain things. Fried foods, tomato sauce based foods (pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, etc....), spicy foods, etc..... all make me completely miserable! If you haven't kept a food log, I highly recommend you do it. You might begin to notice a pattern of certain foods make him hurt worse, or whatever.

In the meantime, you might look into a children's antacid, like tums for kids or something like that. They help some, but finding the source of his troubles and eliminating it is really the only way to fix him! Hopefully it's just a reaction to something he's eating..... good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would take him back into the doc and ask for a full physical WITH bloodwork as well. getting the basic metabolics along with the hepatic and kidney labs could rule something in that even the doc may not be aware of is even possible. my son happened to suffer the same types of ongoing symptoms your son is having for years actually. unfortunetly his ped really did not think anything really about it, and also NEVER once actually tested his labs which would have shown abnormalities even back then. when he hit age 12, we found out all this time he had actually had an ongoing liver issue. without even doing any real lab work on your child just to try and rule out or in certain things that just CAN be there, he really does not even know what IS a possible here the way he is treating this.

just considering that this is an almost constant when it is just even there that often,and the ongoing nature of the symptoms themselves it does need to be much more looked into in the easiest way possible, labs and a hands on palpation of that liver/abdominal area too. tho this kind of stuff is more rare, it still needs some in depth checking out just to make CERTAIN that there is not something more underlying in his symptoms and pain he is having. pain IS our bodies way of telling us that something is not right inside our body. therefore it should be looked into to just find the actual reason for it so it can simply be treated 'appropriately'? it just takes ANY actual doc simply caring enough about any patient, espescially when its a child, to just rule things out that could be causing that particular pain and any other symptoms. he just should NOT have to continue suffering when there are some simple tests that can be done that would give his doc a much clearer view of the generators of his symptoms and presentation of them, ya know what i mean? i seriously would push this doc a bit to simply ask him to do whatever he needs to to find the main reasons for what he has been displaying. just tell him straight out 'i want to KNOW what keeps hurting my son, asap". if he wont or says he can't, i would move onto another doc who chooses to actually WANT to find out whats wrong with your son right now.

is there ANY family history on either side of ANY liver or kidney disease or problems that you are aware of? i am not trying to freak you out here, just looking at ALL possibles for the ongoing nature of these types of symptoms and what just IS possible here. hopefully this is more a minor type thing, but you wont really know that til certain tests are just done that rules things in or out.

just an FYI here for your sons pain? try using ice packs over the pain areas? this really did work well for our son with his pain. it could help alot with many different types of pain generators too. but you have every right as his mom to demand that certain things just be done when you have a child with ongoing symptoms and the doc simply cannot tell you right then and there what that real underlying cause actually is? tell him YOU want to know. having to watch our own child suffer is NOT what any parent should have to do either. good luck with this and i do hope his doc will just do the things he is supposed to do for any patients with unexplained symptoms. please keep us posted, marcia

Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
(female)

kimde HB User

Thanks for your replies. And thanks, Marcia, for insisting that I tell the dr to take this seriously. Frankly, I figured it was lactose intolerance, but he has been off dairy for about two weeks, and the stomachache continues. I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you just have to be a bit more aggressive with this doc, do it. you are your childs advocate here and can demand certain things just be done 'espescially' if that doc cannot TELL you right there whats wrong with my son. some docs can really make you feel stupid or that your over reacting in certain situations too, don't let them even take you down that road. i had to learn this the hard way that the whole time i DID have the ability and rights to just 'do' the right things for my child.

in that particular area where your son is complaining of pain? it would be within the areas of the spleen, pancreas and the left lobe of his liver(this kind of depends upon the size and age of your child too). make certain that these areas are hands on palpated and checked with labs too. good luck with this. hopefully nothing is seriously wrong and a simple answer can be found for this. but it has gone on more than long enough to require some better more in depth types of testing at this point. any 'good' doc should also know this too. your son IS/has been suffering real pain and you just WANT answers. its that simple. please let me know how things go, Marcia

Closed Thread