It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

Karolina810 HB User
Enlarged tonsil? Could it be cancer?

About 6 months ago the dentist told me that my 4-year old daughter has large tonsils. She also has a submucous cleft palate.Recently she was seen at a routine doctors appointment involving her cleft and the doctor seemed concerned that her tonsils were still large. He said that the left one was bigger than the other and that she also had fluid in her left ear as well as a small lymph node behind her ear. He refered us to an ENT doctor and gave us the impression that this could be a malignancy. My daughter has not complained of feeling sick or anything like that. occaisionaly she says she has a sore throat, but never anything significant. I am panicking right now because everything I find online says this could be lymphoma! Is this possible? I am terrified of my little girl having something wrong with her. please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

Karolina810 HB User
Re: Enlarged tonsil? Could it be cancer?

anyone have any ideas??? Have anyone's kids ever had tonsil problems??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User

My daughter also had really large tonsils, she was born with them like that. I found out about them when she was 6 and I rushed her to the ER because she was weezing and had a very bad cold. I was told that her tonsils were twice as large as they should have been and they were the reason she couldn't breath properly. Her large tonsils actually caused a lot of problems for her, she would get a bad cold every 6 months since birth and constantly have ear infections. I had to use a nebulizer on her a couple times because she couldn't get enough oxygen. After her tonsils were removed everything for her changed, she's now 11 and maybe gets a cold once a year if even that, she hasn't had one ear infection since the removal and her breating is perfect.
It was so sad that it took 6 years for me to find out that something as simple and weird as large tonsils could effect so much of my daughters health.

I'm not sure if my daughter's tonsil situation is the same as yours because I was never told anything about cancer but that could also be because her low oxygen levels were the major concern. I do hope this helps you in some way I know how scary it is when you're afraid that something serious could be wrong with your child.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
(male)

Grunt117 HB User

I'm 27. I've had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for 5 years now. They show no sign of ever going away. I don't have lymphoma. I also have nasty, putrid tonsils. It's better to get tonsils removed as a kid, if you have to.

Last edited by Grunt117; 03-13-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
(male)

Skippy599 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina810 View Post
anyone have any ideas??? Have anyone's kids ever had tonsil problems??
I had an enlarged tonsil a while ago it could mean a cold,flu,cat scratch fever or something of that nature but I don't think you need to worry about cancer unless you have lymphoma and that isn't very likely but if your really worried get a CT scan and make sure no other glands are swollen

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
(male)

Skippy599 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina810 View Post
About 6 months ago the dentist told me that my 4-year old daughter has large tonsils. She also has a submucous cleft palate.Recently she was seen at a routine doctors appointment involving her cleft and the doctor seemed concerned that her tonsils were still large. He said that the left one was bigger than the other and that she also had fluid in her left ear as well as a small lymph node behind her ear. He refered us to an ENT doctor and gave us the impression that this could be a malignancy. My daughter has not complained of feeling sick or anything like that. occaisionaly she says she has a sore throat, but never anything significant. I am panicking right now because everything I find online says this could be lymphoma! Is this possible? I am terrified of my little girl having something wrong with her. please help!

I forgot to mention my swollen tonsils just turned out to be Mono and im fine now still have the swollen lymph nodes which can last up to 6 months if you dont have any other immunity response which is impossible so it might be there for a bit look down her throat and check for white...

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
(male)

Skippy599 HB User

Things like that are often on one side because the body has a quarantine type effect and if your daughter has an ear ache then it's because all the nerves from her throat go through her ear.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
(female)

55555mom HB User

ok so we are running into similar situation.... how has this turned out? we have enlarged tonsil on one side....my daughter is 4 years old. is this normal?

Last edited by 55555mom; 07-02-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Closed Thread