It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
(female)

cyclingmama2 HB User
5 year old constantly sick

My 5 year old is constantly sick! I hate to put her on antibiotics frequently. Just this year, in January she had a respiratory infection and had amoxycillin, then February she had pneumonia and had azythromycin. Now she has a low grade fever again and night coughing. Doctor prescribed antibiotics "just in case" so we're riding it out without drugs for a couple days to see if it resolved itself. I was hoping for a blood test or something to tell me "WHY".

Could this be related to allergies?

Anyone else have frequently sick little ones?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

raggedyanne95 HB User
Re: 5 year old constantly sick

Has she started school?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
(male)

yelahamer2 HB User

[First of all remember children are targets for every bug floating around and will catch whatever their classmates bring to school . Do you give vitamins ar vit C, this could build up the system to fight off infection. Try 1000 mg day vit c (check with your doctor)

Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
(male)

yelahamer2 HB User

For "nochange" you have solid symptoms describing bulging discs. Pain is the most reported symptom. you may need to buy a special pillow to sleep on. This is a source of pain for many people.wrong pillow. Your neak needs to be in a neutral position to stop the pain. A pillow that is too high causes the neck to be forced up, causing pain. TOO hard,too soft all contribute to the problem. I use a memory foam contour pillow from wal mart. before I got it the pain was awful. ( I have ruptured disc at C%C6 and nerve impingment that effects my entire upper body.)Try to get a pillow that will put your neck in a straight position. Maybe this will help.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

I am not sure why the doc put her on meds for a resp. infection. Isn't this the same thing as a cold? You definitely need meds with pneumonia, no doubt about that!

It could very much be allergy related, but I doubt they would cause a fever. The coughing could be allergies. Let the fever run its course for a couple days and I recommend Tylenol or Motrin to help the fever. If the fever doesn't go away or gets higher, then it could be an infection and she would need antibiotics.

Kids pick up so many virus' and virus' need to run their course - meaning, antibiotics won't help a virus. Is there any chance you can switch docs?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

I feel for you. My DD is only 2 and is constantly sick. She has a fever at least once a month. I have stopped taking her to the doctor when she gets fevers. I used to run there at the drop of a hat. Now, I am going to buy stock in Motrin. It is a wonder drug. I give her a dose every six hours and usually within a couple of days the fever breaks and she's back to normal again. I don't know what causes the fevers........other than the only answer I ever got from her pediatrician.........It's a virus, keep her on Motrin and bring her back if she's not better in a few days, thanks for your co-pay. LOL. She has been on an antibiotic a couple of times, maybe 3 times in her life. Usually it's for an ear infection that developed from a virus she caught. If you child is in school now and did not go to daycare before school, that may be why she is catching everything that comes down the pipe. Everyone keeps telling me that my DD will have a stronger immune system upon starting school because of all the viruses she is getting at daycare now. But, in my opinion, it's better for a 5 yr old to be sick than an infant or toddler. At least a 5 yr old can tell you what hurts. Good luck, and know you are not alone.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I would definitely not give antibiotics unless your doctor is sure of what is causing your child to be sick. It's my understanding that overuse of antibiotics renders them ineffective later on when they're really necessary. That could just be a rumor, but it's worth looking into!

There's a lot of good advice on this thread already, so I don't have a ton to add to it. I just wanted to really add my own two cents on treating fevers....

Fever is the body's way of fighting illness. When you treat a fever and bring it down, you're essentially keeping the body from fighting as hard as it could be fighting and thus, prolonging illness. If your child isn't miserable from her fever, let it go and don't treat it. If your child is laying around and sleeping all day and she has a fever, that doesn't mean the fever is making her miserable, it means she's tired from her body fighting off an infection, but she's comfortable enough to sleep. Does that make sense at all?

A lot of people worry about fever getting high, because it might cause seizures. Recent studies show that it's not the height of the fever that cause the seizure, but the rapid rise in body temp that causes seizures.

So treat the fever according to how your child is acting. If your child is playing and having a great time, but is running a temp of 103.5, it's okay to let your child run 103.5 and not treat it. Just be sure to give a lot of fluids to avoid dehydration. If your child is miserable and can't get comfortable even to sleep, but her temp is only 100.7, then treat the fever. It just depends on how it's affecting your child. I hope that makes sense....

As far as WHY your daughter is always getting sick.... it seems to be the age. When you take her out grocery shopping, I assume she isn't riding in the top of the shopping cart anymore? So she's running around touching everything, getting exposed to everything? At the mall, she probably isn't riding in a stroller, so same thing there. She is probably around more kids now, which exposes her even more..... she should grow out of it, if that makes you feel any better.

Hope something here can help!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Could be issues with tonsils. I know on DH's side of the family almost all the kids had similar problems, tubes put in their ears due to numerous infections. And almost every single one of them was a completely different child once they had their tonsils and adenoids out. Apparently instead of filtering out germs and illness they were making them sick and were chronically infected.

On a side note has she ever been tested for an immune disorder, cystic fibrosis....? Have they ever run cultures to see what kind of bugs might be growing. When I was little we were constantly passing strep throat back and forth between the neighbor kids whose mother wouldn't give him his complete dose of antibiotic once he started feeling better. I've also heard stories of family pets -- dogs being strep carriers...

Old 03-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
(female)

SocialWorks HB User

I would take her to see a naturopath only to make sure she's taking everything possible that could boost her immune system.

I would also take her to a pediatric respirologist to test for asthma.

Finally, I'd take her to see an allergist. Granted, the test is not cheap and neither are the viles you might need to buy but it could help. In addition, the *****ing of the skin isn't pleasant either. You might want to consider this when she is a little older actually.

It's money money money. I know but it might be worth it in the long run.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Something else I usually caution about it the use of cleaning and disinfecting products. Lysol is the worst for causing respiratory illnesses. That is one thing that I have cut out over the years, and it's made such a difference in my kids! Even after spraying it and airing out the room when my kids weren't home, my kids had issues shortly after getting home. I NEVER use Lysol or other cleaners anymore, and like I said before, my kids are extremely healthy now!

Oh, I do clean, don't misunderstand! My gosh! I couldn't live in a dirty house!!! But I use natural cleaners (lemon, vinegar, baking soda, steam....) instead of commercial products. My latest greatest investment was a steam mop and I LOVE it! My floors have never been so clean! Sorry, this isn't an add for steam mops.....

My point is, be aware of what commercial cleaning products are being used around your daughter. If she goes to daycare, find out what they use to clean and when they clean. A lot of daycares will spray that stuff right in front of the kids (I worked in daycare for more than a decade, I've seen a lot of stupid teachers doing a lot of stupid things!) and the poor kids have no choice but to inhale the stuff! It's horrible!!!

Just another thing to watch out for.....

Closed Thread