It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
Why can't my daughter lose weight?

My daughter is 11 years old and weighs 115 lbs, shes the average height for an 11 year old. Since she was about 6 months old she has been chubby. I thought that she would lose the baby fat but she never did. We eat healthy and she's very active, either riding her bike, jumping on the trampoline, rollar blading and even the video games she plays requires her move so I just don't understand why she's not loseing weight. Her weight has never jumped up she gains weight like normal but she's over weight - does that make sense? I have two other daughters that are not over weight and they eat the same diet as my 11 year old. I have spoke to her pediatrian about this and I always get the same response just to encourage her to be more active and eat healthy. Since both of those suggestions are already in place and have been for a long time what else could be going on with her. I just want to help her lose weight. She's absolutly beautiful but she doesn't think so and she lets her weight bring her down and its heartbreaking to hear her say that she thinks shes fat and ugly.
I really don't know what else to do for her. I have actually thought of diet pills but I know they are not safe for someone so young.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User
Re: Why can't my daughter lose weight?

What exactly is she eating?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User

Like I said healthy, low fat food.
Here's a typical day for her:
Breakfast: either low-fat yogurt with a banana or cereal with skim milk - the cereal is always low fat, low calorie like cheerios or special k
Lunch: During the week her lunch is from school so that could be her pit fall but on the weekends with me, she gets turkey sandwiches with baked chips or fruit of some kind.
During the week she brings a morning snack which is usually special k bars, nature valley granola bars or fruit (dried or fresh)
She gets another snack after school: an apple with peanut butter, yogurt, veggies - mostly carrots or sometimes low fat pop corn.
Dinner: I don't cook red meat so she usually gets ground trukey or chicken breasts, I use wheat products and lots of veggies.
She doesn't get desert except on Fridays which usually consists of frozen yogurt or real fruit popcicles.
She drinks only water and skim milk she is allowed one glass of soda a week and its always diet.
I portion control so shes not getting too much food.
We hardly ever get fast food, maybe like once or twice a month.
She doesn't eat over at her friends houses too often, maybe once a month. Most of her food comes from me, and I monitor closely what she eats. Short of starving her and making her live off of veggies alone I'm at a loss. I'm not really sure if I could tweek her diet any further, shes pretty misserable as it is with what she's eating. Any suggestions on diet friendly kid food, does anyone see any mistakes in her diet.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

Her diet does look good. Have you considered testing her thyroid or adrenal function? Low function of either can lead to difficulty losing weight. Also, she's 11, there is a definite possibility that she may just have a growth spurt and "grow into herself." If I were you, I wouldn't even consider diet pills - those things are dangerous and she's way too young for that.

It's so sad that she feels "fat and ugly" try helping her focus on what she DOES like about her body and herself -and less about losing weight.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

raggedyanne95 HB User

Are there no children's exercise programs in your town?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Her diet loooks good, but I bet if you were to see what was for lunch at school......I bet she has more calories at lunch tan the rest of the day combined.

She may hit a growth spurt soon and just lose the extra weight. Has she started her periods yet? That often helps with the weight. But i agree that you should have her thyroid tested. That could be the source. Also, do you give her a good daily vitamin?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Are you certain she is only eating what you are giving her (besides the school lunches, which I agree can be HORRIBLE)? What grade is your daughter in? Are there vending machines at her school? Could she be sneaking foods when you aren't looking?

I only ask because I used to hit the vending machines at school and bring home all sorts of horrible junk in my backpack. I'd hide the junk in my room and my parents didn't have a clue.

My parents weren't strict about diet in our family. They encouraged healthy eating, but I think they raised us with a good balance of junk and healthy food. My problem was having undiagnosed ADD (not hyperactive, just inattentive, day dreaming, never quite focused on finishing anything.....), and because life can be so overwhelming for a young kid anyway, having undiagnosed ADD (I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my early 20's) can send a kid straight into comfort eating!

My point is, your daughter sounds like she has low self esteem and is probably suffering from what most young girls suffer from, which is having a completely unrealistic idea of what she thinks she should look like, which can lead to feeling depressed and hopeless, which leads to comfort eating.

I also imagine your daughter probably feels like she's getting a lot of pressure from you about what she is eating, which (please don't take offense to this) can actually make her feel so much worse about herself. I know your intentions are good, and you just want your daughter to be happy, because you love her, but be careful how you are approaching her about it. If she feels like you are unhappy with how she looks, it can send her into more comfort eating, but in private, when she knows you aren't looking (because she really doesn't want to disappoint you!).

So that's one theory I have....

I also have another theory, which I only just thought of after reading your most recent post. If the above isn't the cause, and she's on board with eating healthy all the time, and isn't sneaking foods, AND you've had her thyroid checked (because I agree with the others, that can definitely be a culprit), then I'd start looking at what's in the "diet" foods she gets.

Take a look at the ingredients in what she is eating. I'm not certain, but I recall Special K bars and Nature Valley bars having something in them that made me quit buying them. Possibly high fructose corn syrup? Artificial colors? I don't recall, but I do know that they aren't natural. The best way to lose weight is to stick with foods that are made with natural ingredients. Cut out high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors. You do have to read labels. If you don't recognize an ingredient, don't buy the food.

Last theory.... (and I'm sorry this is so long and scattered, I just keep having thoughts pop into my head as I go back and read your posts!

Is your daughter getting enough iron in her diet? You said you don't cook red meats, and I'm not sure what veggies she gets, so that's something you need to check. Low iron can lead to anemia, which can cause weight gain (and possibly thyroid problems, but I'm not certain about that...). Lean red meats are a great source of iron, so you might not want to cut them out of your diet completely. Have her iron levels checked! If she does need a supplement, get one from a natural foods store, to ensure that you're getting mostly iron in the supplement and not so much filler and artificial stuff! (same thing with vitamins in general!)

I don't know why, but I really feel for you and your daughter! I think it's probably because I battled so much with my weight growing up and I know how hard it can be! I hope something here can help.....

Last edited by marisuela; 03-24-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Closed Thread