It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

foulhook HB User
4 year old has been coughing for 7 months!! Help!

My 4 year old son started preschool back in September of 2009. He got a cold at the very begining and ever since the cough has never gone away. Worste is at night. He coughs all night long and does not look rested in the morning. We have been to the doctor about 6 times over this now. They have tried all kinds of inhalers for asthma, then for allergies, then Zyrtec, then Singular, Claritin, etc. Nothing works, not even the slightest change. I got frustrated a few weeks back and asked the doctor to please try another dose of antibiotics. (Something we tried way back at the begining but he got a cold while taking it.) So she actually listened to me and prescribed Zithromax. We stopped all inhalers and allergy meds then started him on the anibiotic. Within two days the cough started to get better..By day 4 it was all gone. COMPLETELY GONE! that lasted for about 2 and 1/2 weeks. Now his cough is back exactly like before. My first thought is that he didn't get enough antibiotics. He spit the first does out so we lost that one and he is very difficult to get to take the medicine...We called the DR again and requested another round of antibiotics and the friggin doctor says no. Says she would rather him get a chest X Ray and then go back onto Singular! We already tried that for 3 months and it did nothing! She also wanted to put him back on the inhaler! That never worked either! Why are they going backwards with this?? What is the reasoning?? I am no doctor but I know when a stupid decision is being made.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?? Seems like all the doctors answers are to pump a kid full of steroids and allergy meds. My kid looked so unhealthy while taking all that crap. Personality was different, he was very angry. Has boughts of being scared of everything while on singular. Terrible behavior on these drugs as well. When we took him off them and did the zithromax he came back to normal within days and was our sweet little boy again. Skin colored looked good again and he was happy...We don't know wat to do anymore. I am ready to jump on a plane and go to John Hopkins

Hopefully someone here has an idea..I am all out

Last edited by foulhook; 03-30-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
(male)

foulhook HB User
Re: 4 year old has been coughing for 7 months!! Help!

Anyone?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

Just a thought, but as a child, I had a chronic, barking cough that wouldn't go away. It wasn't until my parents discovered dairy and gluten allergies that the cough went away. Consider it - doesn't involve any drugs and could really help reduce inflammation in his little body.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
(male)

foulhook HB User

Thanks for the reply.

My wife decided it would be better if I took my son to the doctor yesterday because I am a little more firm with what I think is right. I went through the facts with the doctor from the last 7 months and she prescribed Augmentin. My son took one does yesterday morning and another before bed. Was still coughing last night pretty badly. This morning he has not yet coughed once! This is the same way he reacted when we put him on antibiotics last time. This time they gave a double course. I hope this course kills it.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

Please have your child seen by an ent, have him scope him and have him do a croup series xray. Your child can simply have narrowing of the upper airway because of gerd.
Please before continuing on with more inhalers or steroids, try getting these tests done, it may give you the answer you have been looking for. I hope to hear some news.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
(male)

foulhook HB User

Thanks for the reply. We got him all straightened out. I went in and insisted on a double course of antibiotics because it was the only other times he was 100% healthy. They actually listened to me and after the antibiotics his cough is completely gone whithout a trace! Sometimes it's good if doctors actually listen the their patients. We know ourselves and our children better than they do in most cases. We also are more concerned and pay much closer attention to what's going on than they do. Unfortuantely most doctors seem to have become guessers instead of problem solvers. But then again it is a buisness just like any other business I guess.

Closed Thread