It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
(female)

nadj HB User
antibiotics for 17 month old baby

Hi, my baby 17month old son, has been having a fever on and off 9bw 99-101 degrees in Fahrenheit and cold and some cough. Doctor prescribed antibiotics -- is it ok for 17 month old to take antibiotics (syrup) considering he's 17months old only? Thanks, Mom Nadj

Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: antibiotics for 17 month old baby

one really BIG thing here that you simply do NEED to find out before just simply giving any esp child an anti B of any kind? getting a real actual true Dx from the rxing doc FIRST. this really sounds much more like an actual virus vs something that an anti B is ment for, like an infection of some kind(unless your child is actually coughing up either a greenish or yellowish phlem or mucous that would indicate possible infection)? i would most definitely call the childs doc to find out just what he or she really feels this just 'is' before starting the anti Bs,at ANY actual age, not just becasue of your childs age alone.

wayy too may docs simply rx undeeded anti Bs so the parent can "feel" like at least "something' has been done, or in some more off the wall cases, despite the doc telling the parent that their child has some type of virus, which in almost every case is simply something that the childs own immune system simply has to fight off itself and go thru to get better?the parent will DEMAND some type of actual anti B just be given anyways. which is really a stupid thing to do with unneeded anti Bs. the anti Bs will not help with most real viruses at all(with some very few exceptions). the downside of giving anyone,esp children unneeded anti Bs is they CAN develop what is called a tolerance to certain anti Bs or 'groups of anti Bs if given when not needed and way too many times, which simply makes even trying to treat a simple ear infection at times in these children ten times harder since their bodies will not respond to the anti B only becasue it has developed a certain level of immunity ti 'it'?

this really does sound to me much more like a simple cold virus that your childs body IS actually attemping to do what it is suppoised to do in this type of instance? its 'heating itself up to actually try and kill off that virus at all here with that low grade fever which i would ZNOT be treating with anything right now, unless of course it starts to get around the 102. type of temp? the bodies heating up IS natures way of dealing with this type of a viral attack and would be expected too? it shows your childs immune system IS doing its job for him as we speak.

just DO call his doc and ask what real Dx was given and if this IS the basic cold birus and gof from there and also ask if the anti Bs really seriously are going to help at all with this? sometimes it is soo much better to just step back and allow our childs own immune system strengthen itself simply by allowing it do do this at all vs slamming it with an unhelpful anti B that could create issues down the road? but DO use common sense here too, ya know? i used to never ever try and treat ANY low grade fevers in either one of my kids and they DO ahve really stong good immune systems now. i only would treat anything over like 102 and not before. that childs body simply HAS TO be allowed to heat up like god planned it to do ya know?

just DO double check the real underlying Dx with his doc and if he says this IS merely a virus or cold, then ask him just why the anti Bs were Rxed for him in the first place when they simply wont work in most viruses, esp plain old cold with no upper respiratory type of infection goin on either? if there just IS a very good reason as to why these werew rxed for your son,then by all means, allow him to take them for what would be needed. just watch out for over Rxing docs out there or our children will pay foir that.

hopefully signs of improvment will be seen in him soon without needing any real anti bs? just his own good immune system that IS doing what it was designed to do in a virus situation, heat up. please let me know how things are going, and simply try and keep him as comfy as possible right now too. good luck, marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread