It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

ssmith194 HB User
my five year old is always sick, the blood results vary and and i'm frustrated!

My five year old has been going to his current pediatrician for about 18 months now. Over the course of these 18 months this doctor has been very good at noticing things and trends in my sons health that his previous pediatricians simply never gave any thought about. Ever since my son has been born he has been sick, always having colds, flues, virus, ear infections, bronchitis, etc, etc... but heres the problem after getting tubes finally placed in his ears in March we were very optimistic that we would no longer be in the office with high fevers and a miserable child. Well they have worked and we have only had one ear infection since! great news right, well yes and no. Since the tubes my son hasn't stopped getting sick. I have pages and pages of doctors records and about every three weeks my son is back in the doctors office yet agin for something new. A month ago we ran our first set of blood test on him (just a general work up) more or less because he is extremely tired all the time and constantly sick and this time he was diagnosed with a throat infection (white patches in the back of his throat, but it wasn't strep). Please bear in mind i have bounced back in forth in my mind am i being to over protected? The blood results came back that everything was fine but he had a low white blood count and needs to be tested agin in 2 weeks and if nothing had changed he would be sent to a hematologist for further testing and diagnosis. The doctor said not to be worried yet and that it could be related to some sort of condition or what not where his bone marrow wasn't producing enough white blood cells to fight off infection. So two weeks later we brought him back to get another wbc and it again came back low, but higher than before and at this point they wern't concerned and we would recheck in a month. Ok good news right? No!!! last Monday my son seemed completly recovered bouncing around and having fun. Tuesday morning he woke up complaining of a headache and a cramping leg... to me very odd symptoms, but over time I have learned that when my son says something hurts or he is sick he is always telling the truth! Needless to say he had no fever that morning but I gave him some tylenol and sent him to school. He didn't have a runny nose, no cough nothing just the complaint of a headache, being really tired and a crampy leg. Well by noon the school nurse had called me and my son had a low grade fever, was pale in the face, still hadn't eaten and needed to be picked up. Concerned of course I again brought him back to the doctor. The doctor checked him out and again he had white patches in the back of his throat and prescribed an antibiotic. odd to me because he wasn't complaining about his throat at all! but hey i'm no doctor right? Upon leaving I had expressed once agin my concerns for my son always being sick and brought to her attention how many times we actually frequent the doctors office. She then sent us to get more blood drawn for allergies and immune system bloodwork as well as a cystic fibrosis test. Well we got the reults today. No cystic fibrosis and the other dotor in the practice explained that the results came back great and he had some allergies. none of the allergies were severe though, just kind of the norm like oak and palm and a slight allergy to peanut butter. But he said none of the allergies were in a class where we needed to avoid anything. He also explained that his immune system was fine. I kind of peeked at the bloodwork results and noticed some things on the front page that he really didn't go into details about. Some of the things I noticed were alot of results that came back with bold lettering that said HIGH.. such as hemoglobin, and Low lymphs. Not 100% sure. He simply stated that he is a normal child and to continue to bring him in if he gets sick. Well I'm not happy with that at ll! Does any of this situation sound familiar to anybody? does anybody have any suggestions beyond getting a second opinion or getting a new pediatrician if I'm not happy? I'm open to anything at this point! please help! Also I would like to note that on Wed evening my sons temp had risen up to 102.6 and even with tylenol would not go any lower than 100.2, and had begun vomitting and also had diarhea. He missed an entire week of school because he was so lathargic. Now these type of symptoms vomitting, lathargicness, fever, etc happen every time he gets sick....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
Re: my five year old is always sick, the blood results vary and and i'm frustrated!

The white count was abnormal because he had a throat infection. Once he got treated the counts went up, that makes sense. Does your child's situation sound normal? absolutely. As frustrating as it is he is a normal child who is in school and he is exposed to so many germs and viruses and is probably that child that just catches everything.
Should you be concerned? absolutely. You are his mom and you know him best, if you feel that he has more than the common viruses you should definately seek a second opinion. I always say that we know our children best and i would advise you to go with your gut. If you feel something is wrong with your child then you are most likely right, you do what you have to do to get answers. I hope your child is fine.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

ssmith194 HB User
Re: my five year old is always sick, the blood results vary and and i'm frustrated!

I have done a little researching, and have found a doctor that comes highly recommended and is associated with one of the two children's hospitals here in town. This doctor practices more non traditional medicine and hopefully will give me a little more insight on what to do to help prevent my son from constantly being on antibiotics. I figured a second opinion from someone who has a different outlook on medicine today might be helpful. The only thing that I'm not liking is that this doctor is not covered by our insurance (medicaid) so I will have to pay out of pocket for the consultation and second opinion, but hey I figure you can't really put a price on your childs health and piece of mind

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Does he still have his tonsils & adenoids? On DH's side of the family it seems like most of the kids, cousin's kids, nieces, nephews have chronic ear infections, throat infections and once their tonsils were removed -- completely different children. Apparently their tonsils were chronically infected and no longer did what they were supposed to do.

As for Cystic Fibrosis... Does you child have digestive issues, frequent lung infections, chronic sinus issues, failure to thrive.... Because there isn't just one definitive test for CF. There's the sweat test, which my own child wcf passed with flying colors, then there's a basic CF panel which covers less than 90 of the most common cf mutations and there's a amplified panel which tests for the 1700+ known CF mutations.

Closed Thread