It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

shaelo83 HB User
Unhappy 17 month old with high fever for 4 days....

My 17 month old son has had fevers that spike at over 40c for the last 4 days... His other symptoms are vomiting a few times, chesty cough, labored breathing and loss of appetite...We took him to emergency on Tuesday night when his temp reached 40.6 and he was shaking and covered in a rash and after waiting for 3 hours to see a doctor we were told he had a viral respiratory infection and his fever was the cause of the rash and that there was nothing they could do... The next morning He woke with his temp at 40.4 again so we gave him panadol and nurofen and his temp went down to 39.4 in about an hour then rised to 40.6 again within half an hour and his rash was back all over him so we took him to our GP who sent us straight back to emergency.. Another 3 hour wait later and the doctor said it's "probably" just a virus if his temp spikes again bring him back and we will run some tests and a chest xray to make sure we haven't missed anything.. MISSED ANYTHING?!?!?! YOU HAVEN'T EVEN DONE ANYTHING!!! He was up again all night last night with temps between 39 and 40 then when he woke this morning it was up over 40 again and panadol and nurofen together are only just bringing it into the 39s again so now i don't know what i am meant to do for him... we try cool washers and luke warm baths, he is only in a nappy and singlet which seems cruel as he shivers.. I don't want to make another trip to the emergency room and wait another 3 hours for nothing... I know the doctors probably know what they are talking about but im just so worried my lil fella is so out of it and just not well at all and i feel so useless... Has anyone had anything like this happen with their little ones? How long will this go on for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User
Re: 17 month old with high fever for 4 days....

Hey shaelo83,

It sounds like he might have meningitis to me anyway. Than average body temp is around 37.0 +/- 1 40.0 is way way to high. You can strip him down to just a nappy then place ice- packs around him they dont not have to touch him.

Ill list the most common systems and you can go through them.
  1. Tense or bulging soft spot
  2. High temp
  3. Very sleepy/staring expression, too sleepy to wake up
  4. breathing fast/hard to breath
  5. extreme shivering
  6. pin ***** rash/marks or pruple bruises anywhere on the body
  7. sometimes diarrhoea
  8. vomiting/refusing to feed
  9. irriatable when picked up
  10. blotchy skins, getting paler or turning blue
  11. a stiff body with jerky movements or else floppy and lifeless
  12. pain/irriability from muscle aches/ serve limb/ joint pain
  13. cold hands and/ or feet

If this is the case you need to take him back to the the ER straight away. If its a long journey then call for a emergency vic. make sure you tell them you think its meningitis.

Hope he is feeling alot better,

Dan

Last edited by Diverdan8; 11-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
(female)

shaelo83 HB User

I thought it was meningitis also when i first took him to the ER due to the fact that most of those symptoms you listed he has got but the doctors weren't worried about it being that at all so i guess not, Thank God...

Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

I would have guessed pneumonia. Have they checked his lungs?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
(female)

shaelo83 HB User

my 4 year old daughter was in hospital for 3 days 2 weeks ago so that was also another thing i thought it might be but they are saying his lungs sound clear...

Closed Thread