It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

Wifey218 HB User
Exclamation Toddler jumped out of crib tonight... need advice please!!!!!

Ok....so we have a 2 yr old daughter who we have been having sleep issues with. We had her sleep trained but she has been regressing as of late. We live in Minnesota so with all the extreme weather changes (and daycare) she caught a terrible cold/flu that lasted a couple weeks and during these couple weeks her sleep schedule was ruined. Now she will not go to bed in her room without screaming and crying. She will scream so loud that it will make your ears ring and make you want to pull your hair out. This lasts anywhere from 10 min to an hour. We usually just let her cry it out unless it gets so bad that we worry she is going to make herself pass out. This child is the light of our lives and it is so hard to listen to her cry like that. ***Well here's the thing*** Tonight I put her to bed and she started her screaming and crying routine and about 20 minutes into it I HEARD A THUD! SHE HAD JUMPED OUT OF HER CRIB AND LANDED ON THE FLOOR!!! She was fine except for a cut on her bottom lip from her tooth. I took her into the living room and let her lay down on the couch while I tried to decide what to do. We do have a toddler bed but don't know if she's ready for it yet (actually I know she wouldn't stay in that bed if she was throwing a fit). She ended up falling asleep and I moved her back into her bed. I am so scared about her jumping again but know she needs to sleep in her bed IN HER ROOM! Any advice would be helpful...this is very frustrating and worrisome. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

zero54 HB User
Re: Toddler jumped out of crib tonight...need advice please!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey218 View Post
Ok....so we have a 2 yr old daughter who we have been having sleep issues with. We had her sleep trained but she has been regressing as of late. We live in Minnesota so with all the extreme weather changes (and daycare) she caught a terrible cold/flu that lasted a couple weeks and during these couple weeks her sleep schedule was ruined. Now she will not go to bed in her room without screaming and crying. She will scream so loud that it will make your ears ring and make you want to pull your hair out. This lasts anywhere from 10 min to an hour. We usually just let her cry it out unless it gets so bad that we worry she is going to make herself pass out. This child is the light of our lives and it is so hard to listen to her cry like that. ***Well here's the thing*** Tonight I put her to bed and she started her screaming and crying routine and about 20 minutes into it I HEARD A THUD! SHE HAD JUMPED OUT OF HER CRIB AND LANDED ON THE FLOOR!!! She was fine except for a cut on her bottom lip from her tooth. I took her into the living room and let her lay down on the couch while I tried to decide what to do. We do have a toddler bed but don't know if she's ready for it yet (actually I know she wouldn't stay in that bed if she was throwing a fit). She ended up falling asleep and I moved her back into her bed. I am so scared about her jumping again but know she needs to sleep in her bed IN HER ROOM! Any advice would be helpful...this is very frustrating and worrisome. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

zero54 HB User

I had a daughter that sounds like yours only I believe mine was much worse, my opinion. She started crawling at 4 months and was climbing out of her bed at 9 months, she also walked at 9 months. She attempted to climb a tree in the yard at 12 months and only managed to fall and get skined up pretty good. After she turned 3 she had her own tricycle which she knew how to ride well and since me and her father had divorced at the time and we lived behind a big food store she would catch me busy and she would run out the front door get on her bike and be inside the store before I could catch her with me running as fast as I could. Honestly it only got worse as the years went by so there are no easy answers but she is 34 now and has been to a therapist who said she is a manic depressive. All I know for sure is she left 6 years ago for parts unknown leaving 4 kids behind and except for ocassionally talking to her on the phone I have not seen her and may never. So I fully understand what you are going through. I remember too well the nights I prayed for her to sleep so I could sleep, knowing I had to work the next day. for your present concern I can only offer one advice. Put her mattress on her bedroom floor. This may sound harsh but it sounds like she is going to continue to jump out of her bed and she might get really hurt. If the mattress is on the floor she at least won't get hurt. Also I would wonder if there is something that has changed in her life to upset her. Are they treating her good at the daycare, is some of the kids bullying her. I wish I could be of more help but I never was able to manage my daughter and now she is gone. Maybe you will have better luck than I did love to you.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

If you figure it out, let me know. We have an 18 month old with very similar sleep issues. We "ferber-ized" (sleep trained) him successfully, but every now and then he starts to regress and we go back to letting him cry it out, and it's just like you've described. Wanting to pull my hair out, is putting it gently. Getting a cold is one thing that has caused him to regress in the past.

He's also a climber and I know it's going to be very soon that he climbs out of the crib--I actually think he could physically do it now, he just hasn't figured out all the mechanics of it. I fear the day it happens. So, I have no advice for you, but I'll be in your boat very soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to caberg:
zero54 (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

A toddler bed is a great idea, if its low to the ground, using a bed guard. Put a stair gate in her doorway. Do your normal evening routene, call the new bed something special, maybe big girls bed. Make it special. Talk through the change in bed - this is your new special bed because you are a big girl.....etc. Put her to bed and say good night, make sure you close the gate behind you. Then play it by ear. Continue your controlled crying, go in and put her back to bed when / if she needs it, don't talk to her. Its hard but it works. An ongoing flu / cold can cause these problems because it disturbs your sleep, so don't worry too much, keep up the good work. x x
NB : Toddler beds or cot beds, should be low enough to the ground that if the child falls out they are not going to hurt themselves, my sons is just a few inches off the floor.

Last edited by Basswife; 11-23-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: additions

Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Toddler jumped out of crib tonight... need advice please!!!!!

They make crib tents and I used one with my son starting at 18 months. I got mine at Walmart but I know babies r us also carries them. Some people use them so their cats don't jump into the crib, and other use them for when their child starts to climb. It was a real help for us.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
(female)

moreisbetter HB User

After my 3 yr old jumped out and hurt her head I went out and bought her the cutest toddler bed and got her excited about it and gated the top of the stairs off. you also have to keep bringing them back to their beds in the middle of the night until they stay in their own bed.OR-keep your child in the crib just put cushion on the floor around it just incase they feel like jumping again...hope I helped!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

Children naturally want to sleep with their mother. We tried putting my daughter in a crib and then in a toddler bed and then in a big bed. I was never strong enough to let her cry it out for long periods of time. She always slept with us. She is my only child. I always got better sleep when she was with me. Finally, at the age of 9, she now happily sleeps by herself in her own bed. Her father actually cried the first night that she slept alone with no protests. He missed her so much. Now, we all happily sleep through the night, her in her bed and us in ours.

I know that co-sleeping isn't the answer for everyone but it was for us. It kept everyone rested and happy.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I'll probably get reamed for this, but when my daughter climbed out of her crib (at around 18 months old), I gave her a pop on the leg with a wooden spoon and told her NO NO NO CLIMBING OUT OF THE BED in an extremely mean and firm voice. I would rather her have a sting on the leg that I can control, then to let her get hurt by falling while climbing out of her bed. She never tried to get out of her bed since. For the record, I did follow up with a hug and a "Mommy loves you," and no, she hasn't been traumatized by the event.

She is an extremely active child, too. I call her my "heart attack" child, because it's what she does to me daily. The other day, my husband caught her climbing on the outside of the upstairs stair railing!!! The child isn't yet 2 1/2 years old!!! She also tries to get out of the house, but we have hinge locks on our doors and she can't reach them.... yet!

So I have to rule her with a VERY firm hand. I don't spank unless she is doing something unsafe that could end up hurting her.

We did recently move her to a toddler bed (she has a new baby sister who needed the crib). We do put a baby gate up in her doorway, and that at least keeps her in her room at night. She did go through a time where she wasn't going to sleep without a fight and it turned out she was cutting her back molars. So check to see if your daughter is teething!!!

Hope something here can help....

Closed Thread

Tags
crib, sleep behaviors, sleep training, toddler