It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
(male)

Bropeen HB User
My GF's 11 year old daughter sick every day

I've been living with my GF for 6 months. Her 11 year old daughter has been "sick" every day for that period. She takes cold medicine when she wakes up and again after school and Nyquil before bed. This happens every day. The daughter only acts sick when her mother is home. She acts normal when her mom is at work, but becomes sick when mom gets home. I am concerned at the amount of medicine this girl takes. It is literally every day without fail. This can't be good for her. Any theories?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: My GF's 11 year old daughter sick every day

Wow. That's excessive.

Have you had a good heart to heart with your girlfriend about the situation? Does the daughter get along with her mother? It sounds like it may be a cry for attention for her mother.

I would suggest getting rid of all the medicine. It's destroying her insides and allowing her to become dependent upon it. Does she need the NyQuil to fall asleep? That is a recipe for disaster.

Sorry to hear she's going through this. I'm sure part of it is an adjustment process on her part with you moving in. Try not to take it personally and show her lots of attention so she knows she is not being "replaced."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would agree about no meds for this kid and the child probably wants attention from mom. There is alcohol in Nyquil for nighttime and there may be an acquired liking and beginnings of a desire for this. In my opinion it is not good for an adult much less a child. Are there any coughs, runny noses? Is the child overweight?

Does this child eat a lot of sweets and snacks?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
(male)

Bropeen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi I would agree about no meds for this kid and the child probably wants attention from mom. There is alcohol in Nyquil for nighttime and there may be an acquired liking and beginnings of a desire for this. In my opinion it is not good for an adult much less a child. Are there any coughs, runny noses? Is the child overweight?

Does this child eat a lot of sweets and snacks?
This child's very limited diet is primarily sweets. She eats no vegetables at all. She will eat tuna fish, ground beef and Ramen soup along with the sweets. She also takes a laxative every day. Although she brushes her teeth daily, they are a very dingy yellow color. All of this concerns me.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I think you need to talk to her mom. It is not normal for a child to take medications at all but the mother is giving her medications whenever she has a complaint.

Some things you have to ride out, sniffles, constipation (drink more water, eat fruit) she shouldn't take a pill whenever she complains about something. She will grow up and whenever things get hard, she will expect a magic pill to fix it. That is how we grow addicts.

The mother shouldn't reach for the medicine cabinet whenever daughter whines. She should sit down and talk to her, give her some attention and see what is going on in her life.

I hope you are able to talk to her mother..

Pup

Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Why is an 11 year old child taking a laxative everyday? Why is she even allowed access to whatever medication she wants? She is too young to be deciding for herself what medication she can or should take.

Cold medicine 3 times a day for 6 months also??
I am glad to see that you are concerned - you should be but what about her mother??
Do you know what kind of cold med she is taking during the day?
Have you noticed if by any chance she vomits often or goes off to the bathroom quickly after eating?

Again I have to ask - what does her mother say??

Last edited by kdel; 01-14-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Of course with a diet and health habits like that young child has who would not be sick? Many people are unaware that sweets lower the immune system. If this were me I would get a good vegetarian recipe book and make some healthy but tasty vegetarian meals for her to eat when mom is not home. If candy or sweets were hanging around they can be dumped. I would also try to educate the mom in a tactful manner about more healthful foods, not buying sweets and habits so that both of them will benefit. I would try not to nag, once the matter is mentioned it can be dropped right off so the mom can think about it. If nagging is done she might just get stubborn and then neither person will benefit. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread