It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
(male)

thinksrinii HB User
Slow muscle development

Hi there..

I am Srini.. I would like to ask a query about a muscle development for my niece(2 year old). She was diagnosed with slow muscle development which has hindered from either standing or sitting actions which a normal infant does in about a year. She however crawls. After medical examinations(CT, MRI, blood tests) doctors(in India) confirmed that she does not have a major problem and suggested physiotherapy. She is underging her treatment for about a year now, but, she has just started to crawl freely just for 3 months now. I am really worried whether this may be case of any major problem. I would like to know your opinion.

Many thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Slow muscle development

Namaste Srini,
I can fully understand your concern. It easy to know there is something wrong with a child that has weak muscles but very difficult to know the cause. There is a multitude of conditions which cause hypotonia, some congenital and some aquired. It is beyond lay people to offer advice and the personl I would advise the parents to consult is a developmental pediatrician. They will almost always be in a clinic with geneticists and neurologists and others in a team setting.
I hope the child improves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
(male)

thinksrinii HB User

Thank you very much James. I have got opinions of about 3 doctors till now and all tell the same. They are not sure of what is the exact problem but, insist it is not a major problem. I feel the pain whenever I see other kids. With gods bless, I am hoping it will not be a big problem.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksrinii View Post
Thank you very much James. I have got opinions of about 3 doctors till now and all tell the same. They are not sure of what is the exact problem but, insist it is not a major problem. I feel the pain whenever I see other kids. With gods bless, I am hoping it will not be a big problem.
Srini, I think you have the understanding that this is a major problem in spite of the doctors prognosis. It can be the brain, a muscle condition or a nerve condition, most likely genetic. Even in the most advanced diagnostic centres it is difficult to know exactly what the cause is. Physical therapy is the most common method of treatment but results are slow in coming.
A great worry when it is a child.
James

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
(male)

thinksrinii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
Srini, I think you have the understanding that this is a major problem in spite of the doctors prognosis. It can be the brain, a muscle condition or a nerve condition, most likely genetic. Even in the most advanced diagnostic centres it is difficult to know exactly what the cause is. Physical therapy is the most common method of treatment but results are slow in coming.
A great worry when it is a child.
James
But, based on the diagnosis (CT,MRI and Blood tests etc), the doctors are saying that it is only to do with the muscles and brain and nervous system show no problem. Are you suggesting surely it cannot be only with muscles(when brain and nervous system are proper)

So that I can consult few more doctors.. I am really worried now..

Thanks very much James for your attention!

Last edited by thinksrinii; 03-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksrinii View Post
But, based on the diagnosis (CT,MRI and Blood tests etc), the doctors are saying that it is only to do with the muscles and brain and nervous system show no problem. Are you suggesting surely it cannot be only with muscles(when brain and nervous system are proper)

So that I can consult few more doctors.. I am really worried now..

Thanks very much James for your attention!
This syndrome in children is very complex. It is known generally as the floppy child condition. The muscles may be weak but can also be stong but are in iether case unable to complete the childs attempted movements. The early hstory is important, how active was the child in the womb, was it a prolonged and uneventful birth and how was the APGAR score.
The neurologist is usually able to tell a upper motor neurone condition from a lower, that is from the brain and after leaving the brain.
Did the child have a weak cry at birth, able to cough, swallow and suckle well and breath easily.
The child can be floppy strong or floppy weak. It is beyong my knowledge to explain the difference but your neurologist will im sure. As far as tests go CT/MRI wouldmost likely tell conditions of the brain which would be upper motor neuron. EMG nerve conduction would be used for lower motor neuron disorder, that is the muscles. Also muscle and nerve biopsy would steer you in the right direction.
Genetic testing has made it easier in recent years in the investigation of muscular conditions. Electromyography will l differentiate between true weakness and other entities which prevent good muscles from working.
The child is having physiotherapy and that is correct. The PT will keep joints mobile give the correct exercise and be able to let the rest of the medical team know of the progress.
As you can see this is like a bit of detective work. With modern medicine and early diagnosis and treatment I'm sure the children nowadays will better than ever before. If you have some knowledge of this condition the medical staff may be more open with you to discuss the diagnosis and progress.
James

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
(male)

thinksrinii HB User

Thank you very much.

Your help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Srini.

Closed Thread