It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

Angel2626 HB User
Unhappy Misdaignosed with Scabies??

Hey ya'll I need some advice in a major way. I am at wits end with this and have NO clue what to do next. This is regarding my almost 9 y/o son.
He has had a mystery rash for quite a while now...since right after Christmas break to be exact (sometime around the 1st week of January). He was with his father for about 2 weeks while he was out of school...when kiddo came back from his Dad's house he was itchy and had a flesh colored rash. The rash at that point was located mainly on his trunk and was really nothing I was concerned with. I got some OTC cortisone cream and was treating it that way. Within the next week the rash didn't seem to be getting worse in appearance but the poor kid was ITCHING like crazy. He literally had scratch marks all over from clawing at his skin (this is a kid that bites his nails to the quick, so him scratching himself hard enough to actually break skin is pretty significant itching).
I took him to his GP after realizing just how bad it was. The GP was very unsure of what to diagnose him with, so he didn't...he just prescribed 2.5% cortisone and some oral steroids.
Well after a week and a half or so and seeing NO change or difference in the itching (the rash was pretty much non-existent at this point), I took him back to the GP. By this time the only change I really noticed in the rash itself was that he had a swollen/red area around the head of his penis (under the head area). There was also a small blister type thing on the side...no head on the blister and didn't drain or anything. It was itchy and in general [FONT="Century Gothic"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]very uncomfortable. He at this point was itchy all over his body but especially his groin area, penis, butt crack, waist, and his trunk. The GP at that point and based on nothing other than the blister like area on his penis, diagnosed him with scabies. I was in shock over the diagnosis!
It didn't make sense to me at all. It looked NOTHING like any of the scabies pix I had seen online and the bigger thing was that NOBODY else has any symptoms at all. He prescribed Ellemite and I chose not to use it. I instead made the decision to take him to a dermatologist...supposedly one of the best in the Southeast.
I take him in and after the dermatologist looking him over (including his penis, which no longer had the blister but was still red/irritated). He diagnosed him with excema and dermatitis. He gave him Halog cream, Cutivate cream, and told me to use a specific kind of lotion on him every night.
After 12 days, the itching was still there and as bad as ever. I called the doc and he called in a scrip for oral steroids...I opted out of giving him those steroids. Instead I did OTC cortisone cream, made him bathe in oatmeal baths every night in warm water, and rubbed him down with a good lotion head to toe every night. All the while he has been on a histimine syrup he takes at night to help him sleep.
Anyway, after stopping the Halog and Cutivate cream it took about a week for the rash to come back full force (this is also after he went to his dad's house for the weekend). He came back that Sunday night from his Dads and when he was undressing to get in the shower I was looking him over to check out the rash and thats when I saw his penis...OMG! I almost took him to the ER right then..I freaked out! The "head" was covered in blister like lesions and the shaft was swollen, red, and just irritated. I called the doctor the next morning and they were able to work him in.
Once I got him in the office and the doctor saw him and he saw the condition of his penis, he almost immediately said he thought it was scabies. He did do a scratch test...he popped a blister on his penis as well as got a scraping from a couple of other areas. He didn't find any mites or eggs in the scrapings but said he was 98% sure that it was scabies.
He gave him a scrip for Ellemite. He had myself (mom), his step-dad, and my son all slather up with this stuff. Son had to do 2 treatments a week a part and we had to do them once. All sheets, linens, etc have been washed in hot water...anything that can't be washed like stuffed animals have been placed in garbage bags.
Here is my thing...after all of this...the Ellemite treatments, oral and topical steroids, etc. His rash is still here and he is still VERY itchy. He still has broken skin from scratching and has deep bruising on some areas from scratching so hard. The rash is still here...tiny flesh colored bumps that are mostly on his trunk. His penis is still red, irritated, and has some blisters on the head...he also has a new "blister" on his scrotum now.
I still have a hard time believing this is scabies since NOBODY else has any symptoms and the fact that the doctor found no mites/eggs during the scrape tests.
I'm at wits end. My child is totally miserable. He isn't acting like himself. He has gone from a perfect conduct score and good grades to acting out in school and struggling to keep his grades up. I just don't know what to do!!
ANY ideas???
Please help!
Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Misdaignosed with Scabies??

It sounds like he's allergic to something he's exposed to a little at your house, and even more at his dad's house. Has he been tested for allergies? Severe allergies and eczema go hand in hand. Eczema can present as a flesh colored rash that itches like crazy, and it can also present as blister like sores. Which doctor said it was scabies???

If it were my child, I'd go back to the derm and ask further about eczema.... even admit that you didn't give him the steroids.... and if he says he thinks it is eczema, then do the eczema treatments EXACTLY as the dermatologist prescribed (including the steroids) and see what happens.

Also, start checking for things he could be exposed to from your house to his dad's house, that might be causing reactions. Are there pets? Does his dad have a pet that you don't have, but maybe one of his friends around your house does (maximum exposure at dad's house, minimum exposure through a friend near your house). Look for things like that.

Hope this helps.

*** OH! I absolutely do NOT blame you for not using the steroids at first. I wouldn't have either, I hate the monster steroids creates in my kids! BUT, in this case, the steroids might be necessary.

A really good lotion for eczema is one called Renew, which is made by a company called Melaleuca, I think... I can't remember, but you can find them online. I used to sell it a few years ago, and stock piled the stuff because it was so good (but I don't sell it anymore)! Another good lotion is your basic goat's milk lotion, which you can find in most natural foods or whole foods stores. Also something you can look up online. I got something called the "wee bar" which is a goat's milk soap, for my infant daughter when she had a bad eczema like rash. It cleared up fast after using it just a couple of times!

Again, hope this helps!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Misdaignosed with Scabies??

If it is scabies then your ex should also have them, and anyone else who lives in that house. I would ask your son where he sleeps and what he does while at his dad's house. Is he sharing a bed with anyone? Is he playing with any neighbors. Is it possible that it is a form of herpes? I just find it odd that it is only around his trunk and below.

Closed Thread