It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

spottedgirl HB User
low grade fever for 18 days in 10yr old

My son is 10, nearly 11 and he has had a low grade fever ranging from 99.3 to 100.7. There is no pattern to the fever. It does not increase as the day goes on. It started with him vommitting and then running a fever. After 4 days I took him to the doc and they said virus. At day 10 we did an antibiotic. The doc was still thinking virus. At day 13 labs were drawn and everything came back OK. White count was 9000, thyroid OK, No Flu, No Mono, No Strep.

We are now at day 18. He has another appointment tomorrow, but I have no idea what they can do at this point. I just don't feel like "riding it out" It seems so innactvie, not proactive.

He has no other consistent symptoms. Sometimes his belly hurts, not always, and not in any food related pattern. He is still hungry, no diarreah, no cough, sore throat...nothing. When asked, he says he feels miserable and not so good, and yucky. He is tired, but not sleeping constantly.

Does this point to anything? How long should I let the fever keep going? THere were a few days that we thought he was feeling better. Fever was gone, and he went to school. When he comes home the fever is back at 100 again. He has missed 10 days fo school. I don't want to panic, but I feel like I need to know what is going on with my boy.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: low grade fever for 18 days in 10yr old

Well, as far as I know, a fever means he is fighting an infection somewhere. My husband had fevers on and off all summer and had a full physical. He saw an internal medicine doctor and nothing seemed off. She told him it was just an infection and put him on a strong antibiotic. The fevers stopped and he has been fine ever since. We also kept thinking it was a virus or something, but obviously it wasn't since the meds worked.

I would guess your son needs a stronger dose of meds to fight this infection. Let us know what else you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread