It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
(female)

StaceyLee HB User
4 year old, sudden random vomiting

i'm suspecting my 4 year old has reflux but i'm not sure. she's never had it in the past so i don't why it would suddenly appear? and if it has, will it go away?

first of all my 4 year old is never sick, just a couple really minor colds. she's really healthy, never even had a diaper rash or ear infection. her biggest issue is her teeth and she's had lots of dental work, plus she has eczema.

about 4 or so weeks ago she randomly spiked a high fever (103-104) with no other symptoms that lasted almost a week. a week later one day she randomly started throwing up and broke out in hives. no fever and the first time ever having hives. this sickness last 2-3 days. it was assumed she had a "virus" and that the virus caused hives.

3 weeks later and she's randomly been vomiting. after she pukes she's usually fine rest of the day. then the puking has slowed down but she randomly drools excessively..like she's going to vomit but never does. most mornings (we co-sleep) she wakes up with sore throat and as she says "burning neck" but it literally only last a few minutes, sometimes she drool or vomit, but the rest of the day she is fine.

so it sounds like reflux, right? do you think it could be just lingering from the "virus" she had several weeks ago? how long should i wait to see if it goes away before i get too concerned?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: 4 year old, sudden random vomiting

It sounds like she has reflux brought about by the throw up virus she had. My daughter went through the same thing recently. I'm not sure why it happens, something about stomach acids and foods that produce more acid.

If your daughter is eating any acid producing foods, like tomato products or citrus fruits, it can aggravate the stomach and produce more acids which can cause the random throwing up and burning in her throat. With my daughter, we just took her off all tomato products and citrus for a week and she got better. My nephew had the same thing (he's the one who clued us in about our daughter), but he had to go on zantac before his cleared up all the way.

As far as the hives..... yuck! Two of my kids went through that a couple of summers ago (each a month apart) and it freaked me out! I don't do mystery illnesses very well!!! It was crazy weird, I have NO idea what caused it, and at the ER, they said it was probably a "virus." So, sorry I don't have a better answer for that, but you're not alone. If it helps, neither of them have ever had it again.

Anyway, so try eliminating all acidic foods from your daughter's diet and see if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread