It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

Max17 HB User
Chronic Vomitting, not CVS, but every Friday night?

My son has been Vomitting, almost in his sleep for the last 18 months, nearly consistently every Friday night. He is now 8.5 years old.

One time I was reading a book beside him while he was sleeping and, in his sleep, he seemed to be having stomach pain then finally rolled over, woke up in a flash and leaned over and threw up in the garbage can. He seems to consistently throw up Friday night between 10:30-12:00am. He goes to bed around 8:30. He's a great eater but a small kid - he's only 40 lbs and 8.5 years old. It doesn't seem to be related to food and he's had a LOT of tests - barium swallow, ct scan, ultrasounds. One doc thought it was a reflux thing and he took retenadine for 3 months but there's been no improvement at all. It is worse in the Feb-march timeframe but happens sporadically through-out the year. Its not "nerves" as it can happen on summer holidays, weekends, etc. He's not having problems in school and is a very happy, smart kid.

He does have a congenital heart defect but you would ne Ed know it to look at him. The only medicine he takes for that is Enalapril.

He will throw up and then complain of stomach pain. He doesn't usually throw up repeatedly all night long either - he will throw up 2-5 times and then can be good - of course somewhere in there I will try and give him advil and gravol so maybe that is helping?

Also next day he is perfectly fine- other than tired. He will often get up, have breakfast, go to school and be fine. Again, it usually happens on a weekend night but could be Sunday or Thursday night too (very rarely Monday, tuesday,Wednesday). It's the weirdest thing!!!!

And the poor little guy, heis just so good at puking in his garbage can and carries it around as he makes a run foe the bathroom - sometimes he will wake up and run, but usually the first time is in the garbage can beside his bed while it seems like he's sleeping.

Our doctor thinks it could be cvs but the fact that it's usually the same night of the week and he doesn't vomit all night long, we are just not sure. She is also hesitant to put him on anything because of his heart condition.

Anybody ever experience anything like this?

Last edited by Max17; 04-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Chronic Vomitting, not CVS, but every Friday night?

Poor guy!

I don't know what it is, but if he is throwing up on Friday night, what does he have going on Saturday mornings? Like, does he have something Sat. morning that is making his nerves a mess the night before?

I used to bbsit a boy years ago who did something similar. His had a lot to do with nerves.

Maybe you can also try keeping track of what he eats for dinner the nights he throws up. For example, is Friday night pizza night?

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope he is OK!

The Following User Says Thank You to Belly Kelly For This Useful Post:
Max17 (04-12-2011)
Closed Thread