It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
(male)

garilajo HB User
eczema

My son has eczema and I'm just wondering what prescriptions or over the counter drugs anyone has used before and also which one worked best...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: eczema

Well, the first step is to remove triggers. All of the child's clothing and bedding should be washed with detergents designed for sensitive skin. Soaps and other toiletries must also be selected with care. Make sure bath water is not too hot, that will dry out skin. If the air is dry, you should apply a moisturizer or Vaseline immediately after the bath. Perfumes and hairsprays should be avoided.

Is it possible that something in the diet is aggravating the eczema? How old is the child, and how long has the eczema been going on?

But in terms of actual medicines, a hydrocortisone creme is the most effective option. Use it sparingly, however, to avoid thinning the skin.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
garilajo (07-10-2011), LovingMomma (08-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
(female)

Indysmumma HB User

Hi, two of my three daughters had eczema as babies. I found any cortisone cream to wok really well short term to clear it up. However I much prefer natural products as a preventative. There are dozens of creams and natural eczema remedies out there that work and are much safer and kinder to skin that steroid creams and will defiantly work better in th long run.
Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Indysmumma For This Useful Post:
garilajo (07-10-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

My daughter is now almost 4 and has just about out-grown this - THANK GOODNESS!
The best medication her pediatrician ever prescribed was trimcinolone acetonide. It is a steriod that should be used for only a few days at a time. When we first started applying it, I swear it worked like a charm in a matter of days! Seriously, best stuff ever!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
(female)

LovingMomma HB User

As the others have said, the first step is to figure out what causes the eczema.

We also found that treating it with a steroid cream as soon as the first rough patch appeared was much better than trying to wait it out. If we put the medicine on right away it would clear up quickly, but if we waited the patch always got larger & then became more difficult to heal.

Closed Thread