It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

neurograndma HB User
Question Keppra and Autism

Maybe someone has a similar story. My youngest grandson is almost 2-1/2. At 3 months he had infantile seizures. (I had them, my daughter had them and her other 2 children had them). All of us were given phenobarbitol and by 6 months, we were weaned off and there were no more seizures. We all lead healthy normal lives - I'm 60, my daughter is 37, and my othere three grandchildren are 18, 16 and 9.

The youngest grandson was given Keppra vs Phenobarbitol because the pediatrician felt that Phenobarb. caused developmental problems. I did as much research as I could on Keppra, and I found that it is given to children over 4 years old...not 3 month old infants. The seizures were not controlled, so at mine and my daughter's insistance, the pediatrician added Pheno. to the treatment and very gradually weaned my grandson off of the Keppra.

I apologize that this is so long, but the first time I saw my grandson at 4 months (they live in another state), I noticed something wasn't right. He did not "connect" as most babies do - my sister and my best friend who were with me, also noticed this.

Now, my grandson is being visited once a week with a therapist who specializes in autisic children and she is having him evaluated for more involved programs to help him. Although he is in the normal range of some developmental stages for his age, he lacks in others. He does not engage with anyone socially, he does not talk, up until a few months ago, his food had to be broken in bite sized pieces as he would shove too much in his mouth and choke. He cannot and refuses to use any utensils to eat with. He sleeps with his mother or his father and will not sleep in his own bed. He has never slept in his crib - my daughter tells me that he has several screaming outbursts in the middle of the night. The therapist called them "night horrors" which I never heard of.

My main question is this. Could the use of Keppra on an infant be a culprit for autism? He is a precious little boy, but totally in his own little world and seemingly "undisciplined".

I'm hopeful that he will get the help needed to teach him to function - we don't know at this point what degree of autism he has. I just don't know much about autism and am trying to do my homework.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread