Hello ladies, Im new to the site and really looking for
My son is 4 in sept and since birth I have known of his
problem with ''undescended testicle'' (his left one)
I have seen 3 drs, 2 nhs drs and 1 privately and all have
told me ''similar''- though one did exaggerate compared to
the latest one I saw who was a private urologist.
My father has/had a left undescended testicle and fathered
3 children with no other health issues.
My sons uncle whos in his 30's (on his dads side) also had
this issue (with one testicle) and that came down without
intervention when he was around 7 or 8.
When I first saw a dr about this issue I told them of the
family history, though this was brushed off and they
immediately wanted to do surgery... I was EXTREMELY
skepticle about this and kept making ''follow up
appointments'' stating my concerns and also once again the
The 2nd NHS dr was a woman and told me my son was at
HIGH RISK of testicular cancer and infertility- she scared
the you-know-what out of me and pressured me into
agreeing to surgery, something I have NEVER wanted to do
based on the history of the males in my sons family.
she even went as far as to say should I not agree she will
get the social service to decide for me.. Bare in mind my
father is STILL living with this condition and is perfectly
healthy (all bar a hernia that causes no bother)
so I could NOT understand why this dr was threatening me
like this.. though I do believe that payment incentives
played a big part of it.
I decided to go to a private dr who told me my son did
have an undescended testicle but could live a perfectly
happy life with one health descended tesis, would father
children with one working testicle and the risk of cancer in
my sons case (because the testicle is NOT in the abdomen)
is a 2- whereas a male with both testicles descended would
be a 1. He said the chance is still very slim but the op
needs doing. *shakes head*
Back to the woman dr at the NHS. She told me my sons
testicle was not movable out of the groin... she shown me
where it was.. hmmm it was in the middle of the groin,
between the top of the scrotum and the pelvis bone.
She stated it could NOT be brought into the ball bag.
A few weeks later I received a copy of the letter she sent
to my sons health visitor stating I AGREED to the op (like
* did I) and that it was a PLEASURE meeting me (ha
yeah ok) and that my boys testicle was DIFFICULT to bring
into the scrotum... again, another lie since she told me it
couldnt be moved at all.
After receiving this letter I decided to look at his testicle
myself- as I was once adviced from the first dr my son
saw, to try and manipulate the teste into the scrotum to
help it drop...
So I get the cream out and I feel for his testi.. I managed
to get the testicle to go from the middle of the groin to the
very top of the scrotum- upon feeling from the scrotum I
could feel it slightly inside the bag, although it did spring
out when I took my fingers off.
Im so so confused. I booked the private op for oct 5th and
I REALLY dont want my son to have it because I DO have
this condition in my family, I have known from my father
that it has not yet caused any problems and from my sons
uncle, it dropped aged 8- also, the differences in stories
from the drs is making me wonder if they just want to
operate on my son for the ''sake'' of it... almost like they're
''following a trend'' if that makes sense.
The only reason I agreed to let the private dr book the op
is because the one at the NHS basically threatened me.
I cannot believe she had the gall to speak to me the way
she did only to then send on a letter to the health visitor
saying it was a pleasure to deal with me and that I agreed
to the operation...
I cant stress enough how much I believe my sons testicle
Ive been told NOTHING bad can occurr until puberty
theres no sperm production going through it so why cant I
look for alternatives?
I wasnt offered the hormone injections and wasnt told
acupncture that has indeed successfully lowered the
I was considering (should alternative treatment fail) to give
my son the option to decide when he is old enough to
understand or right before puberty.
Im so so confused.
Can any of you mummys out there give me some friendly
advise please? taking into account all I have said, if this
was YOU and it was your son, what would you do?
Thank you so much for reading and Im sorry to have
droned on. xx
I have posted this on another childs health forum but nobody has responded
and I think I posted it in the wrong section of this site to begin with