It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Diapers at bedtime - how long?

Hi all! Just curious, how long did your kids wear diapers/pull-ups to bed? My daughter will be 4 in about 3 weeks. She is completely potty-trained during the day time.
Last week, I ran out of diapers, so we decided to do a trial week of none at bedtime. Well, she wet the bed 2 out of 4 nights. Today, we decided to buy another pack of pull-ups.
I am ALL about no more diapers, but I also have a 6 month old who still wakes at night...it's a little exhausting changing sheets and getting up with the baby.
So, while I don't mind putting her in a pull-up at night, I was just wondering what the "normal" age is for not wearing one.
Thoughts/opinions/tips?
Thanks so much for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Diapers at bedtime - how long?

I was lucky.

With both my kids about a week after being dry in the daytime I tried them at night. We have never had any accidents.

BUT I never pushed for early training so they were older.

DD was about 3 and DS 4.

Good luck- she has the habit now.

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
LauraLu (07-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
(female)

walkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB User

I agree. I cut up a big garbage bag and laid it over thier mattress (twins) and if they went I would just put on a new sheet. Try diapers for a few nights until they are dry. A few more weeks won't hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to walkingtall For This Useful Post:
LauraLu (07-17-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

I don't think you can really compare ages when it comes to this. Luckily, my son stopped with the pulls up at 3 1/2 (he refused to even wear them) and he has only had 2 accidents in a year.

With that being said, my friend's daughter is 5 and still uses them and needs them.

I think it really depends on the child. I have read that the size of their bladder is important when being able to hold their urine over night. But if you seriously want to try and get rid of the pull ups, you might have to have a no drink policy after 6 or 7 pm. Some children will also wake at night to use the potty, but others are deep sleepers and cannot do this.

My advice is to not worry much about it. Perhaps start cutting out the fluids 2 hours before bedtime. See if she remains dry overnight for a couple of weeks. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Belly Kelly For This Useful Post:
LauraLu (07-17-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

This is as individual development as any that exist. Try to be suggestive, as opposed to stressing that you want her out of diapers. I wet the bed until I was 6, and my mothers stress and anger just made it worse.

Definitely cut the evening liquids out. If she's thirst a sip or two of water before bed shouldn't hurt. But she is still young, so take heart, it probably won't be too much longer. I know the extent of this can be taxing monetarily, but unfortunately it's not something you can rush or predict.

Take care,

kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
LauraLu (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

Biofreak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLu View Post
Hi all! Just curious, how long did your kids wear diapers/pull-ups to bed? My daughter will be 4 in about 3 weeks. She is completely potty-trained during the day time.
Last week, I ran out of diapers, so we decided to do a trial week of none at bedtime. Well, she wet the bed 2 out of 4 nights. Today, we decided to buy another pack of pull-ups.
I am ALL about no more diapers, but I also have a 6 month old who still wakes at night...it's a little exhausting changing sheets and getting up with the baby.
So, while I don't mind putting her in a pull-up at night, I was just wondering what the "normal" age is for not wearing one.
Thoughts/opinions/tips?
Thanks so much for reading!
Okay, as much as I am not a mom, I was a daycare teacher and part time nanny for about 4 years. I still wish I was, I love children, anyways diapers and pull ups, they are sadly the same thing just in bigger sizes. There is also no normal anything when it comes to potty training, some kids wet the bed until 2nd grade while others never seem to have accidents.

I know little girls tend to be easier to train, but I wonder if she is sick often or taking any medications? Sometimes children who take medications that can make them tired tend to make them sleep very soundly. That seems to be a common issue with bed wetters they either sleep soundly or medications or illness prevent them from getting there on time. It's no one's fault and if it's the sound sleeping I can give you one bit of advice.

Kids love to be responsible for themselves. They have a lot of pride, just like adults do, but unlike adults kids also realize that they are pretty helpless. See if your bedtime regiment could be changed.... is she drinking water before bed? Is there a way you can help her realize when she needs to go? Can you sent an alarm? Do you know what time this tends to happen at night? (Is it midnight or 4 am?) Time in that last one, defiantly matters!!! If she is peeing in the bed in the middle of the night, it means she is a sound sleeper and doesnt feel it. If she is peeing close to morning that means yes, still a sound sleeper, but she is close to holding it all night. I know this seems like a lot, but if you can see what time she seems to wet the bed that can tell you how far she is in the stage of night time peeing. I hope it's the close til morning one, that means she just needs to get up slightly earlier to pee and then she can lay down on the couch or what not....

Hope this helped!

BioFreak

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

We're working on potty training daughter number 3, and the best advice I can give is take her potty before you go to bed, and maybe even again when you get up to feed your baby.... though one time at night is usually all a child should need. I don't usually go to bed until around midnight-ish, so that works out well for us in our house. I started doing that with my oldest when she was 2 and potty training, and she's never had an accident since then. So we did the same with #2 and are doing the same with #3. I think it trains them to recognize when they need to go potty in the night, and helps them to go without having to totally wake up and interrupt their sleep.... something like that, anyway.... all I know is that after several months of taking my first daughter potty at night, one night she got up by herself and went potty by herself and went back to bed by herself and has done so ever since. And #2 did the same, and #3 is just getting to the point that she wakes up and comes and tells me she needs to go. So daughters 1 and 2 were out of night pull ups around age 3 1/2.

#3 is still in pull-ups at night, and I'm fine with that, because I'm lazy and don't want to change the sheets!!! But she's been keeping her pull ups dry most nights, so I guess we'll start venturing out of them soon.... but maybe not too soon.... we'll see....

Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
(female)

elocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB Userelocin0482 HB User

I was not so lucky with both of my daughters in the potty training stage It was hard my oldest who is 8 wore night diapers until she was 5,(she sleepwalks and would go potty in really weird places, once she was sitting on the kitchen trash can going) she was terrified of the potty but finally learned a little after she was 4 to go in the day even then I had to keep her in a pull up every now and then since she would have day accidents. My youngest who is 4 finally accomplished the potty right after her birthday in March, she went 2 days with night time pants and hasn't worn one since. She has only had 1 accident. I really don't think there is a right or wrong time for any child to learn the potty some are early and some are late in my opinion they are ready when they are ready. Good luck and whatever you do it will be the right decision.

Closed Thread