It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

tysmom23 HB User
What could this be?

My 16 month old son has been having diarrhea between 3 to 6 times a day for approximately 6 months. I've taken him to his pediatrician and they tell me he's ok because he's not losing weight, he still has an appetite, they don't feel anything wrong when they press on his stomach, and he doesn't show any discomfort. There are between 5 to 10 pediatricians at this office and he's basically seen every one of them and they all say the same thing. I don't know if they are just trying to agree with the other pediatricians based on the notes in his file or what. I don't feel this is normal. He gets diaper rash a few times a week even though I put either vaseline or a&d ointment. He's eating the same foods he was before the diarrhea started so I don't think it could be a food allergy. Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: What could this be?

I would ask them to test for cystic fibrosis -- to rule it out. Frequent loose stools can be an indication of pancreatic insufficiency. If he were losing weight, they might be more concerned due to failure to thrive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Have they run any type of test stool samples even to test for any types of bacterial infections causing this? If not you need to insist they look into this further as this is not normal and something is causing it.
It could be something as simple as a food allergy..dairy allergy ect.Allergies to foods are common ..

Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

Yes, I was also thinking a food allergy. Does he have reflux?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

It could definitely be a food allergy - they can really develop at any time. He should get tested for celiac disease as well as cystic fibrosis just to rule anything out.

I would also be concerned about him getting dehydrated. What is his diet like?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

this may be a long shot as your son is not in any discomfort...but have they tested him for Celiac Disease?

kat

Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
(female)

DebGrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmom23 View Post
My 16 month old son has been having diarrhea between 3 to 6 times a day for approximately 6 months. I've taken him to his pediatrician and they tell me he's ok because he's not losing weight, he still has an appetite, they don't feel anything wrong when they press on his stomach, and he doesn't show any discomfort. There are between 5 to 10 pediatricians at this office and he's basically seen every one of them and they all say the same thing. I don't know if they are just trying to agree with the other pediatricians based on the notes in his file or what. I don't feel this is normal. He gets diaper rash a few times a week even though I put either vaseline or a&d ointment. He's eating the same foods he was before the diarrhea started so I don't think it could be a food allergy. Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?
My daughter went thru the same things your son is going thru she had so much trouble with her stomach and diarrhea the docters said she was fine until I took her to an endoncronologist he performed a colonoscopy and a sigmodoscopy and they found she had "CELIAC DISEASE" as soon as she went on the Gluten Free Diet she got alot better, they can't tolerate Wheat or Gluten, barley and Rye, maybe your son could get some results also, I hope this helped!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
(female)

Biofreak HB User

Yep I'd go with a gluten Free Diet!! That can help even someone who doesn't have a problem with Gluten so much

Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

The other issue you might want to consider, if Celiac Disease gets too bad and goes untreated it can progress into Malt lymphoma (a type of stomach cancer). It might not hurt to get her tested just in case.

kat

Closed Thread