It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

SilverEyes HB User
Toddler with fever, dark red and uneven gums, bad breath, pain in the mouth and more.

My daughter is almost 2. Last week she started having a fever, her gums were and to this day are still very dark red. The gum line is uneven. Instead of the line being straight, each tooth has a V line of gum. We took her to the emergency clinic last week, they said it was strep throat and put her on antibiotics. I didn't buy it because of the gums, so went to the pediatrician yesterday, who says it could be angina or herpes (took a culture for herpes, but we won't know until Monday) and he took her off of the antibiotics. The fever has been gone for 3 days now. Oh, and a bad breath all the time, a little sweet, kind of. She refuses to let us brush her teeth, and she always has to do it, which she does a really bad job at it. We do it sometimes, but we have to fight her like a wild animal. At this point, I'm thinking it's something to do with bad brushing, but I don't know. I have never seen gums that bad, especially in a 2 year old. Please give me some answers as I'm running out of answers. I'm calling the dentist on Monday to ask more questions. As of today, she is much better, but still has pain when she eats or drinks. Her gums are the same, dark red, with uneven gum line. That is scary because it's not improving.

Last edited by SilverEyes; 09-10-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Toddler with fever, dark red and uneven gums, bad breath, pain in the mouth and m

The swollen gums is gingivitis. In toddlers, bad gingivitis can sometimes cause fever. I would make an appointment with a dentist as soon as possible. You might even be able to get a dentist on the phone this weekend.

Generally 2 is too young to care for her own teeth correctly. If you can possibly get her to let you floss, I bet there is a lot of food stuck between her teeth! Still, right now, flossing might be too painful. The best way to prevent the problem from coming back is flossing, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread