It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
(male)

nicholas1125 HB User
Question about my 6 yr old son

My son has had a rough couple of weeks. He recently was treated for walking pneumonia, which seemed to have cleared about a week ago. Two weeks ago he broke his arm jumping out of a tree. About 4 days ago, he is complaining about stomach aches and had diarrhea (his stool is somewhat normal now). He is tired most of the time and listless, not wanting to play or jump out of a tree. He doesnt have much of an appetite. He is getting a little more energy as of yesterday, still saying he has some pain and eating some. I am just wondering what he could have, like a stomach virus, and if its normal to last 5 days, or is there reason to worry about anything else? He doesnt have or didnt appear to ever have a fever, or never vomited. I worry about him when he is not his normal energetic self. Any advice for a worried dad?

Thank you.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Question about my 6 yr old son

while this 'just could' still be the pneumonia, there is still a "small' chance that when he fell out of that tree, depending how far that fall was and how he landed that their could have also been some impact within the abdomen too somewhere? unfortuently in children, they DO tend to compensate really well with certain injuries but then will kind of suddenly show symptoms later not always in ER, or in the cases of trauma, just crash on you kinda suddenly. did they palpate his abdomen REALLY well when he was in the hospital?

if you simply lift up his shirt, take a really good look at what the stomach/abdominal area actually looks like. if you should see ANY brusing or a "ruddy reddish" color ANYWHERE or if when you touch his stomach, esp on the L side and in kind of the mid section, there is ANY pain at all, get him immediately back to the ER.

in kids his age and under, the MOST common injurys when any level of trauma(and falling out of some trees IS considered trauma depending) is done to their bodies, are to the liver and the spleen. they just are NOT as well protected as in adults yet? but they also have 'highly' flexable ribcages(not quite totally bone yet) where they could easily have the ribs inflict what is called a 'rebound' injury, where they DO get very much pushed into specific organs(in a fall out of a tree., can be the knees too hitting), then pop right back out with NO actual real damage done to THEM. but the underlying organs CAN still suffer at least some level of impact injury from them.

this is only a precausion in what i am telling you here. but if he has ANY real fever or you see ANY real noticable color changes to/ on the abdominal areas, or esp if he reacts with a painful response with simple easy pushing(not hard, just use your hand/finger tips) on his abdominal, esp those two more susceptable areas, get him back to the ER.

as you said, he HAS been thru alot, so this could still be the pneumonia which i KNOW tends to hang around for quite a while too, but moreso in adults, but still 'could be' it. it really depends upon the overall severity of HIS particular case of this and how it has been treated. but if he is NOT feeling better by monday, i would have him fully rechecked by his ped doc for sure. or seen sooner in ER if you feel something just is NOT 'right'. it is always best to be better safe than sorry when it comes to our children, ya know? been there done THAT one with two boys. hopefully he is okay and just still healing everything. take care and please DO let me know what you find out and how he is doing. marcia

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
nicholas1125 (12-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
(male)

nicholas1125 HB User

Thank you marcia for the detailed reply to my son's issue. I thought of the same thing about a rib injury, so this week I've been pressing his belly in several places and asked if it hurt, he said it didnt and I didnt see him wince(children wont always tell you when they hurt but they cant hide a wince). I also looked for any discoloration and there was none thankfully. I thought it might still be the effects of the pneumonia or that his immune system was low and he caught a bug. I just wasn't sure so I asked for feedback.
As of today he woke up and ate everything in sight and was back to his energetic self and had interests in playing again. He said his tummy didnt hurt. So, we hope we are out of the woods and can enjoy the holiday. Thanks again marcia and to those who read my post. Seasons greetings.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

well at least THAT sounds good. along with a 'wince" and possible discoloration, when anyone suffers any level of real abdominal injury, they would also do what is called "guarding'? this is kind of an 'over protection" of the abdominal, either by drawing the knees up, or placing hands kind of 'over/arond' that injured area since they do NOT want it to be touched kinda thing too? but if none of this is going on, chances are, he is more than likely NOT at least suffering any real solid abdo injury. and THAT IS a good thing.

another 'possible' here is if he was still on the antibiotics when he was suffering with stomach aches and the looser stools(and even a few days beyond since it is still working), it 'could" easily have also been his reaction to certain anti Bs themselves too. ALOT of people/children will get the very same type of reaction to specific types/groups of antibiotics. so it could have just been that too. now you said he that he "seemed to have healed' from that about a week ago? did they recheck with at least a follow up chest x ray or no? in 'some' cases, a specific anti B just is not always strong enough to actually 'kick' a particular type/strain of pneumonia, just as with any other type of infection, so it STILL can be having some level of 'effect' on him if even 'some' is still lingering as well. if he has not yet had what really 'should be' a follow up chest x ray, you may want to get that done, just more as an 'assurance' that nothing is still there? the last thing you want here is for him and your family having to be dealing with ANY sick children over esp x mas. they usually ID/Dx this with X ray and also make sure it has cleared with the follow up X ray too. it is just a good way to see it. in some cases with pneumonia, the initial round of anti Bs could have 'knocked it down' but still may need something a bit stonger to just get it the heck out too. so he 'could appear' to be rebounded back, but could have like a 'regroup' of the left behind pneumonia like even a week later too(just one possible in some cases where this DOES occur) just some info you, that as his dad, you just need to also be aware of. and as i mentioned above, it just really CAN take a while for this type of infection to totally rid itself from someones body too.

i am just kind of suprised that a six year old even GOT walking pneumonia at all? this is usually something that people who are usually much older or very sedentary would get, and not a much more active 6 yr old child(esp a usually much more active boy vs girl. as in even thinking of jumping out of a tree? kinda more 'boy stuff" there)? did the diagnosing doc have anything to say about THAT at all? if this had occured AFTER that broken arm, it would really have just made much more 'sense', ya know what i mean? since he just 'would have' been tending to be at least a little less active then. but who knows really. just about ANYTHING just IS possible to have develop inside our bodies for various reasons. nothing just really suprises me anymore, lol.

but i would at some point this week, just DO try and get him in for at least that follow up chest x ray to make 'certain' that nothing is still there that just 'could' regroup itself later. it all kind of depends upon 'his overall severity of the pneumonia' he had, and the anti B type/group that was used to try and treat this too. but you do not want to be dealing with any sick kids over the holidays, so just simply make 'certain' it IS totally gone. this IS what i would do, just so I would know for certain without any doubts, ya know?

but soo very glad everything appears 'his' normal again right now. always a good sign. just make sure, K? hope you all have a really happy and healthy holidays. take care, marcia

Closed Thread