It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

lesleyek HB User
Poop problem

My 4 year old grandson has a problem going poop in the potty. He poops his pants constantly, but just a little bit at a time. The stool is not a formed stool, but sticky or mushy. His parents have started punishing him and I don't think that is the right thing to do. I think something could be wrong medically. At first I thought lactose intollerant, but I looked up the symptoms and he has none of those. Has anyone out there had a similar problem?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
(male)

felixpeter HB User
Re: Poop problem

Our 11 year son does that still hes has been doing it for the past 3 years and he has his underwear soiled a little almost 2 times a week, he has a very poor appetite, and seem to pass gas a lot, please can someone suggest what seem the problem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

Hi:
The first question you need to ask yourself:
Is my child constipated? Sometimes people think because you have a bowel movement everyday or every other day that you aren't constipated, but that's not true. Gas is a symptom of constipation, and not wanting to eat well is another. My child had sticky poop after the doctors gave him a certain medicine for constipation-I don't know if either child is already being treated for constipation. But the medicine can be just a quick fix sometimes and doesn't result in a long term solution.
Some real ways to know if constipation is the problem(besides looking at the poop in the toilet) is to have their guts x-rayed or having a good doctor push on their abdomen, and some can actually feel it inside there.
Pooping in the underwear could be residue that they just have sitting up inside there but can't come out. There are natural products you can buy at the health food store to help, but the best way is to get all the excess poop out by using a child-safe medicine that your pediatrician can prescribe, then not packing it back in by eating lots of constipating foods. Eating fresh raw vegies and fruits and lots of fiber will help keep future problems at bay.
Lesleyek- you are right. No one should EVER punish a child for his bathroom habits- it just makes it 10 times worse and if you can impress upon the parents that they won't be able to control whether he poops or not- he might decide to just hold it, because HE's the one who decides when he poops not them! He may not be constipated, just playing a power control game with his parents. Sorry I don't mean to offend, but I don't blame him, its the only control he has. Often children will do this to fight back. Unfortunately, once this cycle is started, it might be hard to stop. The child's pediatrician may be able to convince the parents this is not the best way to handle the problem.

Sorry about how long this is!
K.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

Mrylln01 HB User

this problem is seldom talked about and cause huge problems. Encopresis. Sensitive little boys really don't like to poop away from home, so they hold it. Then the plumbing gets backed up, and they experience poops that "came out without my permission." They are terribly ashamed and lie, hide their undies, a really believe others can't smell them.
Good luck with this problem. Absolutely NO PUNISHMENT!
What worked for our family was a) finding the scientific name of the condition, as to be able to research remedies. b) doing that internet research with your child to take the shame away and to illustrate and educate them about what's happening to them. c) laxatives and Fleet enemas and glycerine suppositories until the child is having regular, normal bowel movments. Perform all these functions in a matter-of-fact, non-embarrassing manner. Let the child be in charge. We are there for support and to help if desired, but avoid being intrusive. Bowel hygiene is very personal, and embarrassment can cause total lock-down.
Good luck,
Mrylln

Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

wits end mom HB User

Hi Lesleyek

My 4 year old daughter has been having this exact same problem for the last few months now. The Dr keeps telling me that she is constipated but it doesn't seem like constipation more like a slow digestive track. When the poop comes she says that she doesn't know shes pooping in her underwear. Its always a small amount and very sticky. The Dr tried an aggressive clear out with Miralax over several days but she just got violent diarrhea and when we stopped it was back to the sticky poops. It doesn 't seem like Encopresis as when she finally does manage to make a poop the stool is never hard just a larger sticky version of the smaller accidents. We have tried increasing the fiber in her already high fiber diet...no luck. Browsing the web I came across a few comments from adults who were told they had irratible bowl syndrome. We don't punish her as she is obviously distressed by the accidents and I don't believe that this is a control issue either. Slippery elm suppliment was mentioned by one site. Has anyone heard of this or had any luck treating this (not encopresis)?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Melissa098 HB User

My son just turned 9 and is still having this issue. I had enrolled him in a gifted childrens course and the parents get to hear from experts on the problems you can have with gifted children. The biggest thing is that when they are interested in something, they become so engrossed that they do not hear the outside world. That's the case with my son and his computer. He also states that he doesn't feel it and can't tell if his body needs to go. I make sure his gets bathroom breaks regularly but it still happens. I was at my wit's end when I searched for this problem on the web. I think I will try some Miralax and see if he needs a clean out.

Thanks for the information provided here.

Last edited by Melissa098; 06-08-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
(female)

HAPPYHON HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleyek View Post
My 4 year old grandson has a problem going poop in the potty. He poops his pants constantly, but just a little bit at a time. The stool is not a formed stool, but sticky or mushy. His parents have started punishing him and I don't think that is the right thing to do. I think something could be wrong medically. At first I thought lactose intollerant, but I looked up the symptoms and he has none of those. Has anyone out there had a similar problem?
My 4 yr old son has been doing the exact same thing, all day long he comes to me and asks me to wipe his bottom, there is always about a quarter sized amount of poop in the crack and a few skid marks in his underwear, I get mad and tell him to go on the toilet but then he tells me that it just comes out and that he didnt want it too or try too. He is almost 5 and has been potty trained for 3 years now, so I am beside my self trying to figure it out!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
(female)

Wendalyness HB User

Melissa, it's the same with my almost 6 year old... we have been having this problem for years now. He'll go months without doing it, or do it 3 times a week. I've asked him why he does it, and he admits to holding it in. I've tried explaining to him that it isn''t good to hold it and when he feels the need to go he needs to go. Recently these last couple of times he does it when he's too "busy". Like when he plays video games. We have taken the games away and the pooping in pants problem goes with them. And he's not pooping but just tries to hold it in till it's to late and starts going in his pants, it's never a complete mess but it's just not something I ever expected having to go though with a 5 year old. We take it one day at a time and when he hasnt gone to the bathroom for a while we give him a potty break.

Closed Thread