It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

shantybaby HB User
my son has been complaining of a tummy ache for 3 days!

ok quick story,

about 4 days ago he said he had a tummy ache, so i kept him home from school. the next day, still a tummy ache, the day after it got worse, and he would be double over in pain, hes unusually tired, and sleeping alot.
forgot to mention he is 4
anyways, of course i goto the internet, and i am finding all this crazy stuff.
i hope that it is possibly a virus and he is going to get over it, a few days before he was complaining, i was having tummy pain, and some major loose bowel movements.. so maybe this is it.
anyways, he says it by his belly button, i have been giving him tummy rubs, and when i do i can almost hear air swishing around in there... it doesnt feel hard, because i thought maybe he is constipated since he hasnt gone for a poo in a few days now, but this is somewhat normal for him anyways.
it comes in waves it seems, but he hasnt eaten in days either. today i was almost forcing him to eat stuff, no matter what it was. he is a very picky eater to begin with.
so i have not given him anything for pain, because he wont take anything, he wont take tums or gravol or anything of that sort.
also he threw up last night. but hasnt had a fever or anything,
ifound some information on appendicitis, so i thought maybe that, but the pain isnt in his lower right area. and he is not showing fever or anything of that sort to say he is fighting an infection.
to be honest i just want to get some sleep at night, but i am really worried and my mommy instict tells me maybe it is something other then just a tummy ache.
thought i might just throw it out there, i plan on taking him to the dr clinic tomorrow evening if he is not better by then, it just seems like it is always a waste of time to do that because they generally just say, oh its a virus, there are lots going around right now... blah blah blah.... yeah not much faith in drs here.... lol
anyways, sorry for rambling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: my son has been complaining of a tummy ache for 3 days!

If he has a stomach virus, he might not necessarily run a fever. Most of the time when my kids have a stomach bug, they actually run a degree lower than normal! It's kind of weird, but that's just how we roll!

It does sound like he has a stomach virus. If he wants to eat, keep it simple. The BRAT diet is always the best way to go (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast--white toast, not whole grain or wheat for sick tummies!). If he feels up to chicken noodle or chicken with rice soup, that is okay, as well, and saltines are good, too. Make sure he is getting plenty to drink! The best thing for him to drink is water. Give it to him cool, but NOT cold. If he refuses to drink water, then give him VERY watered down apple juice.

Most important thing is NO DAIRY of any kind (no cheese, milk, ice cream, yogurt, etc....) for 48 hours, or until his stomach quits hurting.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

shantybaby HB User

hello! thanks for taking the time to reply,
we found out from the dr that it was 5th disease, but i only gave him water and popsicles for the few days that he was sick. Unfortunately today he woke up at 4 am with a barking cough which i know all too well.... croup.
seems this poor lil guy just cant catch a break!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantybaby View Post
hello! thanks for taking the time to reply,
we found out from the dr that it was 5th disease, but i only gave him water and popsicles for the few days that he was sick. Unfortunately today he woke up at 4 am with a barking cough which i know all too well.... croup.
seems this poor lil guy just cant catch a break!
How odd that it turned out to be 5th disease! Did he have ANY of the classic symptoms? Diarrhea is a symptom, but usually it comes with other symptoms, too. Very strange! Well, I'm sorry he's sick, but glad you found out why! Hope he feels better soon!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

shantybaby HB User

yeah it was odd, because he didnt do anything other then throw up not eat and sleep. and complain of the tummy ache.
so you never know about the diagnosis really. and he didnt have slapped cheeks..
anyways, he is better , but now has croup as i mentioned before. so we will see how tonight goes.
thanks for the well wishes

Closed Thread