It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

linsanity HB User
Need insight into breast buds

I have an almost-10 year old who has developed what I THINK is a breast bud, in one breast under her nipple. I am having a really hard time finding clear, consistent descriptions on what a breast bud is. Hers is a lump under her nipple, and a couple months ago it felt smallish (a large flattish pea? which I thought might be mastitis initially b/c it hurt her), but recently I felt it and it feels like a small grape behind her nipple now. It is scaring the heck out of me.

I did take her to her pediatrician a few months ago, and she promptly told me she was in beginning puberty and it was a breast bud. I don't remember ever having such a thing growing up, and never heard of it, especially that it's apparently supposed to feel like a lump. And as I said I am having a hard time finding clear and consistent descriptions of what a breast bud feels like online. Do any of you have stories you can share with me to alleviate some of my concerns? I will probably make another appointment with another pediatrician in the practice to get a second opinion. As reference... my daughter is getting body odor and her overall breast size does appear to be getting that padded look, so I don't doubt she has started puberty... I just need more reassurance that her lump behind her nipple is really just a breast bud, and what to expect from here on out. THANKS!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Need insight into breast buds

That does indeed sound like a breast bud. And some pain/soreness is normal, I remember when I was 10 or 11 my chest was very tender for a few months. Once my breasts got big enough to be called breasts, the soreness went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Re: Need insight into breast buds

Breasts can grow one at first and then the other if that is what you are asking. It happened to me and freaked my mother out. It was terrifying and embarrassing because she called everyone she could think of and asked them about it. Hopefully everything is normal and the hype will calm down soon!

Closed Thread

Tags
breast buds, breast lump, puberty