It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Kmom2 HB User
7 year old - overweight - I NEED A DIET PLAN

My 7 year old daughter is 4 ft & 75 lbs...technically, she is overweight...She is a VERY picky eater (the only fruits she likes are: apples & grapes, and the only vegetable is: spinach) Other than that, she will only eat BREAKFAST: Whole Wheat Toast with P.Butter/yogurt/cereal DINNER: Grilled cheese/pizza (packaged) SUPPER: Processed chicken nuggets (not real chicken..) PLEASE HELP....I need a diet plan that will work for picky eaters like my daughter. How much should I be giving her to drink throughout the day? She will ask for juice & milk... which I know these calories add up as well....
I'm trying to be a good role model. I eat healthy all day long, and I am in good shape. Whenever I try to get her to try something new she will sit to the table and cry until I give in (i'm a sucker!). I NEED SOME ADVICE.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: 7 year old - overweight - I NEED A DIET PLAN

Basically - stop being a sucker. There has never been a child who will deliberately starve itself to death. Another thing is to remove the drama from the table. Place the food in front of her, grit your teeth and leave her to it. Don't react in any way at all; don't persuade or praise, reward or nag. If she eats, let it go; if she doesn't, let it go. You don't sit next to her 24/7 saying "please breathe, now do it again". Treat this the same. It will be hard, but be consistent. Good luck, Sera.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
(female)

Kmom2 HB User

Thanks for the reply!
If she doesn't eat what is on her plate (which is 9 chances out of 10), should I excuse her from the table, or tell her that she cannot get down until its gone? I've tried this and it DID NOT work!
Should I allow her to play with her toys for the rest of the night...or should I take that away from her too?
And, later in the night if she asks for a healthy treat (apples or grapes) should I give it to her? Or tell her no, because she didn't eat her supper??

ANY ADVICE IS GREAT ADVICE!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

No punishment, no praise or reward. Take all that stuff out of it. Eating dinner (or not) has nothing to do with toys. If she usually has a later snack, then give it to her. I did this with my own kids. I was brought up in the way of penalties for not eating. I started out that same way with my own. Then I received the advice I am offering you. It was a great success. I just provided the food - whether it got eaten or not was entirely up to them. We do not reward our kids for breathing or using the toilet or getting dressed. Eating should be the same. Trust me, she will not starve, or become worse at eating. The only difference at first is that there is no conflict around food, and the same amounts will be eaten. The main result of pressure and conflict will be that old will become important to her in an emotionally unhealthy way. BTW, my kids got over the pickiness, as all kids will eventually, whatever you do.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

PLEASE, get your daughter checked by a gastroenterologist. My daughter was "starving" all the time and slightly overweight. after a long process she was diagnosed with Dietary Fructose Intolerance. She was clinically malnourished. Once we got her leveled out, she is perfectly fine. She began to grow and is now a size 7 at 5ft 5 inches at 14 yo. She was 10 when we finally got a diagnosis. now I know that she was a picky eater b/c food made her tummy hurt.

T

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I remember all too well the "clean plate club" and being punished for not eating my whole plate. I ended up 300# and had to have a gastric bypass and counselling in order to get my eating under control.

I tried to do it differently with my kids. As infants they were fed on demand not a schedule. I have never made them clean their plates. I put the food in front of them- if they eat it all fine if not that's ok too. I do try and make sure there is something on the plate that they will eat but they aren't catered to.

Do you cook nuggets for the family every night? Now that she is older she should be eating the same as the family. I agree with Saraph she will not starve herself.

Believe it or not my kids are slender (it doesn't come from their fathers nor my genes) It's crazy- if I give my daughter a handful of M & M's she'll eat some and then give like 4 back saying "I'm done" It's crazy, who stops leaving 4 M&M's??? But she knows when she is full.

Good luck, it may be rough for awhile but she won't starve. She will end up liking more foods when she tries them.

Pup

Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Most picky eaters are trained to be that way. Nobody is going to like EVERYTHING that's put in front of them, but the kids who absolutely refuse to eat something refuse because they are allowed to (exceptions being those rare children who actually have a medical/psychological reason for why they eat/don't eat certain foods).

The trick most parents miss is that you have to continue to offer foods to your children, even if they don't like it. Don't tell your child ridiculous things like, "Oh, you don't like X-foods, so we won't eat X-food anymore." Instead, tell your child, "Well, even if Y-food isn't your favorite, at least try to eat half of it, because Y-food is healthy for your body...." Um, that's provided that Y-food actually is a healthy food. If you're feeding your kid crap food that they refuse to eat, then it's probably healthier for your kid to go hungry that night!

The more you offer foods she doesn't like at first, the sooner she'll either start to like them, or she'll at least learn to tolerate them. I started all of mine out eating salads when they were 12-18 months old (just tomatoes and bell peppers at first, then lettuce and spinach later on). For the most part, they loved the tomatoes and hated the bell peppers at first. Over time, they've all learned to at least tolerate the bell peppers (one hates them, but will eat them first and "wash them down" with the tomatoes). They all hated spinach and lettuce at first, but then learned to eat it, and now all of them like it. My older two choose the big salad in the lunch line on occasion (NEVER on pizza day, though! They gotta draw the line somewhere)!

Too many parents underestimate their children. Children are extremely capable of understanding that food has vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to their bodies. They are very capable of understanding that certain foods are filled with artificial garbage that weakens and harms our bodies. Children are also extremely capable of manipulating their parents and using the things that their parents worry about against them!

If your daughter sees that you are completely stressing about what she is eating, then she is going to continue to be picky and she will use that against you. She is using her food choices to control you. Don't misunderstand! I'd be surprised if it was actually calculated on her part. I certainly doubt she's sitting up late at night plotting her next food battle with you or anything like that! BUT, when eating time comes along, you both fall into the same familiar habits (you stressing about what she eats, and her being picky about what she eats), and she knows the battle plan, because it's been the same from the beginning of her life.

Now you need to talk to her openly and frankly about her health, about her eating habits and about eating healthy verses eating garbage. Let her sit down with you at the computer and look at what eating garbage can do for a person's body.... then look at what good food choices can do. Let HER do the research (with you as her guide). Then let her know that you love her and because you love her, you'll be changing the menu and will be serving up a variety of healthy foods from now on. BUT, it's going to be left up to her if she eats or not. She can choose if she eats or not.

As far as snacks after a missed meal.... my rule is that if you skip a meal because you don't like what is served, you are skipping the next snack, too.

Don't cut out the garbage food cold turkey. Garbage foods have their place. The occasional garbage food meal won't (hopefully) kill you or cause you to gain a ton of weight all at once.... just don't make it a habit. We eat mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets about once every two months or so. My kids think it's a great treat (frankly, so do I, because it's so dang easy!). We eat pizza probably once a week (even easier, which is why we do it so often!), but we also have a healthy salad with it, and we cut one piece of pizza in thirds and let them start out with 2 thirds, and then they can have the 3rd third if they're still hungry. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. All together, they only have one slice of pizza or less.

Be very careful about "diet" foods. Buy real food. Real butter, real mayo, real dressings, etc..... I firmly believe that man-made low fat foods are full of horrible artificial garbage that causes weight gain faster than anything else out there!

Introduce your daughter to the wonderful world of almonds. Almonds and raisins or craisins are a great snack. My daughters hate almonds plain, but they will eat them with craisins and raisins. I tell them it's good brain food, and good energy food.

If your daughter likes spinach, learn how to cook with it more. Have her help you plan and cook the meals. Let her experiment with different recipes. If she cooks it, she's more likely to want to eat it. Steer her towards healthy recipes, though!

Anyway.... I'm avoiding housework like the plague right now (it's a gift!). I hope something in this rambling can be of use to you!

Last edited by marisuela; 04-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
Kmom2 (04-08-2012), Seraph (04-07-2012)
Closed Thread