It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

WorriedIrishMam HB User
12 Year Old Boy, Swollen Nodes and Enlarged Spleen

Hi, 6 weeks ago my 12 year old son discovered a lump on his neck, after having a look myself I discovered another one on the other side, being cautious I took him to my doctor who discovered another lump in his groin, he was referred to see a consultant and given anitbiotics, however 2 weeks after the doctor's visit I noticed the lumps had gotten bigger, I was advised to take him to A and E, where he was sent to Paeds Assessment Clinic, the doctor was very thorough and discovered more lumps near his collarbone, he had blood taken which was normal and was then sent home and asked to come back in 2 weeks to check his weight, the next day he had a pain in his chest, which got worse and led to him having an asthma attack ( he suffers occasionally with asthma but never chest pains ) he was put on a nebuliser, x-rays were taken and all looked fine and was given steroids. When we returned for the weight check the doctor said he should have an ultrasound, this was done the next day and we were told by the radiologist his spleen was enlarged, the doctor then saw us and said this was nothing to worry about and to wait until his appt with the consultant, the appt that was originally made on the first doctor's visit!!!! The doctor took more blood tests and said they would take a few weeks for results to come back. Now, am I being paranoid, I feel like they are missing something here, my son,apart from the asthma is a healthy kid, I never give him tablets or medicine unless its serious! I have to wait 3 weeks until I take him to the consultant and I dont want to be dismissed at this appt either. Please Help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User
Re: 12 Year Old Boy, Swollen Nodes and Enlarged Spleen

Has he been checked for Epstein barr/Mono? Those are all pretty common symptoms.

T

Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

WorriedIrishMam HB User

Hi thanks for replying, he has been tested twice for these

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think I would get a list of all the tests they did at the last clinic visit, and also get copies of his test results thus far, including chest xray and ultrasound. It is unusual to be waiting 3 weeks for lab results. Some of them may come in sooner and I would ask that you be given results as they come in. Just as reassurance, there are relatively benign things that can cause node and spleen enlargement, like mono (common in this age group), cat scratch fever (even if a fever doesn't occur), CMV viral infection, so try not to let your mind jump to the worst possibilities. My friend says, "Don't shovel until it snows". Your Dr. should understand a Mother's anxiety and should provide you with info as it is available to lessen that worry. If he is feeling and acting normal, that is a good sign. You can also call the consultant's office and ask to be put on a waiting list for a cancellation to move your appt sooner.

Closed Thread