It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

JenniferLeanne HB User
Exclamation Chronic cough in 9 yr old - please help, worried and scared

My son is going to be 9 in June, he has a chronic almost nonstop cough that is starting to terrify my husband and I.

The cough originally started in 2005, when he was diagnosed with asthma; they progressed his meds and up till recently he was on when I demanded they look further into it (this being based on the fact that that the cough was worsening and he could take his multiple puffers with absolutely no change at all).

They checked him again and found no sign of asthma. When the doctor heard him cough he agreed that we definitely needed to further investigate and referred him to a pediatrician (appt next month), ordered TB test (negative), ordered X-ray that showed no lesion; bloodwork that showed the following:
Low creatinine (which I know is norm in kids)
Low sodium
High RBC # bld auto
Low RDW

They also ordered meds for acid reflux to rule out - that did not help at all.

We had our house inspected by a health inspector; there is no sign of mold or any other health hazard that could be considered to contribute to the cough.

Based on his weight and height he would be considered about the 3rd percentile (though he has always been small; other then birth).

He loves his sleep, always has, but given the ability will sleep 16hours without a problem.

We are having great difficulty getting him to eat, and he doesn't seem to be hungry, and is starting to show some change in his body appearance. And he does complain frequently but not daily of stomach pain with no vomiting (not sure of any relation).

He can have bouts of normal happy looking child to a sudden tired ill looking boy with dark circles under his eyes.

We have tried numerous things as well, humidifiers, hot baths, Vicks rub, cough medicine, allergy medicine, other prescribed meds, ect.

I have spent numerous nights crying; my doctor seems at a lost and thankfully have the pediatrician who hopefully will have some answers - but in the meantime is there anyone that can help or have any ideas - please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User
Re: Chronic cough in 9 yr old - please help, worried and scared

What is his diet like? When I eat anything with gluten, I get a horrible "barking" cough. Doesn't necessarily have to be a true "allergy" to a certain food, but an intolerance. Gluten, dairy, soy and corn are the big ones..

Closed Thread