It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User
Obsessive?

Hi everyone.

I have a 13 year old son who seems to be a little obsessive about girls. I think he is having trouble with rejection.

Yes, I look at his texts and this is how I found out.

He had a g/f for about 2 days and she broke up with him because she was going to be going to another school. He proceeded to ask her why and to give him another chance, etc. This went on for a couple of days and then that was it. He hasn't talked to her since.

So he has another girl that he talks to - as a matter of fact, we caught him sexting - in a way. Not actually saying he wanted to have sex or anything but talking about sex so my husband had a heart to heart talk to him about ALL of that and puberty, etc. So - I see on his phone that yesterday he tries to call her like 4 times in a row and when I asked him about it, he said "she told me to call".

I sat him down today and told him it is going to be totally normal for girls to come and go. Some may bother him =others may not but not to worry about it. I also touched on the subject about calling in that if he calls someone or texts, give them a chance to call back or text back cause they may be away from the phone or in the bathroom, sleeping, etc.

Am I worrying too much? Should I just see how it goes with other girls? How do I help him if it is rejection? He looks at me like I'm dumb when I try to talk to him about it..

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

AndreaJB22 HB User
Re: Obsessive?

I think what he's doing is normal. However, if he can't seem to handle rejection, maybe you should help set limits and say he's not old enough to have a girlfriend? Kids that age are very persistent. I work with middle school kids and most would think nothing of calling and texting multiple times in a day.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

Thank you very much - you made me feel a lot better! Wasn't sure if I would get a reply from it - THANKS!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

Chrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB UserChrissy26 HB User

I too think it's normal. I have an older brother and growing up I remember him being on the phone all the time with different girls. Some he got close to while others he didn't really care so much about. The ones he did like a lot, if they didn't respond to his calls right away he'd fly off the handle. He was between the ages of 16 and 18 at this time. No one can say how your son will be when he's older but I do know my brother still has an obsessive side to him but I think it's a fear of rejection as well.

Closed Thread