It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
(female)

annlz2004 HB User
My 15 year old son's penis hasn't grown since birth...

I don't know what to do. I have been to the doctors over many years only to be told its a waiting game or for the reason to be blamed on his weight. It has completely affected his self esteem, confidence & friendships. He had an operation when he was 2 years old in London to remove a lump & unknot vessels/arteries to his heart. Could this have something to do with it? Any advice would really be appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: My 15 year old son's penis hasn't grown since birth...

hi, so sorry you son and you are going thru this. It must be so difficult. I would recommend the endocrinologist as well. When my son was about 12 -14 (can't remember exact age) we took him to one because he was so small, he had always been on the lower percentile for his age/height/weight, etc.

It bothered my son so bad so I can't even imagine what this is doing to your son. The other children picked on him so bad because of his height it was terrible, I even put him in karate classes so he could defend himself.

First the dr. did a round of blood work to check his hormone levels, testosterone, etc. His was on the low side. So he recommended a set of three shots of human growth hormone to see if it would "jump start" puberty.

He did this over a 3 month period. It did help some, he had a slight growth spurt about 6 months later but still only grew to be 5'6" overall,he is 27 now.

I just wanted to share w/ you what they did for him, just to give you an idea of what the endo can do in case you haven't been to one as yet.

good luck and keep us posted. ((HUGS)) Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
(female)

annlz2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
hi, so sorry you son and you are going thru this. It must be so difficult. I would recommend the endocrinologist as well. When my son was about 12 -14 (can't remember exact age) we took him to one because he was so small, he had always been on the lower percentile for his age/height/weight, etc.

It bothered my son so bad so I can't even imagine what this is doing to your son. The other children picked on him so bad because of his height it was terrible, I even put him in karate classes so he could defend himself.

First the dr. did a round of blood work to check his hormone levels, testosterone, etc. His was on the low side. So he recommended a set of three shots of human growth hormone to see if it would "jump start" puberty.

He did this over a 3 month period. It did help some, he had a slight growth spurt about 6 months later but still only grew to be 5'6" overall,he is 27 now.

I just wanted to share w/ you what they did for him, just to give you an idea of what the endo can do in case you haven't been to one as yet.

good luck and keep us posted. ((HUGS)) Cathy
Thank you Cathy. My son has started puberty however his penis is just remaining the same size. It has affected my boy & I feel let down by Dr's. However I am taking him back to the Dr's & requested the necessary blood tests be carried out & that he is referred to the Endo. Your advice has been greatly appreciated & given us hope

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I have to ask this question...Is this issue as big of a concern for him as it is for you? I cannot imagine anything worse for a young mans self esteem than going to the doctor with his mother over his penis size. I am all for having strong bonds with our sons, and providing whatever care needed to keep them healthy and happy....BUT, Is this appointment something he looks forward to, and asks for himself? Just a passing thought...

Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I have complete respect for the parent who stands by their child's side as they go through some of the tougher sides of life, and that includes situations like this. If they were suffering from any condition, I advocate great healthcare, the sooner the better. Some health care concerns are embarrassing, simply put. Learning by example how to solve these kinds of situations by yourself, or with your parent at your side is the ultimate teacher. It would never be ok to avoid any health care issue due to embarrassment.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User

If my son Is concerned about It I'm concerned about It but, I would have his father take him to the doctor. I have a 15 year old boy and his father takes him to the doctor for personal problems. I love my father to death but I wouldn't want my father to come with me for girly problems, that would just be so embarrassing to me, at the age of 15. We Were all that age so remember how we would have felt. Did your son come to you about this problem or did you happen to come into the room and accidentally see him and was worried about his manhood. When I had to take my 15 year old son to the doc for personal reason I would let him go Into the room by himself and tell the doctor what he's really concerned about and what can be done. Then the doctor will have me come into the room afterwards and speak with me. You do remember that all men come in all shapes and sizes. Does he play in a sport where he has to take a shower after wards in front of the other boys? Has someone told Him He should be bigger than that at his age. I have accidentally seen my boys naked and I'm not too concerned about their small size as I know when they get older and it will get bigger or not. lol. If doctors are not too concerned about It and It's really just normal. I had a few sex partners and they were all different sizes some were small some were medium some were big. I am not trying to be rude but I believe that boys will get bigger in time. Expecially when they become men. I have been told by my sons doctor that my son is small in stature and that he needs to eat more. He also has that problem, but I was never concerned about it. Their young boys they'll grow out or in to it eventually lol

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Closed Thread