It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

rachelp1123 HB User
Tummy Pains

The reason I am on here is to hopefully gain some insite and be able to help my daughter. My daughter is 8, and has been complaining of tummy pain for the past month. I called her pediatrician and he has me trying new things to rule out certain things. He said to first give her blueberry juice and extra things with fiber to rule out constipation due to not enough fiber. I have been doing that for about three-four days now. She is still saying her tummy has been hurting her all day, every day. It gets worse when she eats. She describes the pain as "having the feeling of needing to throw up" and it is all day every day. I don't think this fiber thing is helping. The next is to remove all dairy products to rule out being lactose intollerant. I don't know if either of these things would cause this sort of feeling.
I just want to help her out. The pain is in the upper left hand side. (Where her stumach is) It does feel a lil bloated, but I am not doctor and she is a little overweight. I have her eating better, and she started soccer. I am hoping that this will help with the weight issue. I am just scared what this could be. Any insite or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User
Re: Tummy Pains

Hi Rachelp:

I know its frustrating trying to figure out what might be wrong. It sounds like it might be constipation, but they can also do an Xray of her tummy to see if its full of poop, which could cause you to feel like vomiting, cause bloatedness and stomach pain. It sounds like your doctor is trying to start out gentle, but if she has severe constipation, she might need other things to get her started. Usually its been going on for awhile. Another sign of constipation is she could have runny poop, which seems the opposite of constipation, but actually if there is a blockage in the intestine, then some of the poop can actually still go around the blockage. Kind of like if a big hairball is stuck in a sink drain- water can get around the blockage, but you still have a problem. Fiber is good, but it may not loosen a huge blockage. So, giving lots of fruits and vegies helps her digestive system, but she may need a little help, her pediatrician can prescribe a laxative. And she needs to drink lots of water (no soda or other beverages) or drink prune juice.
If this doesn't solve the problem, it could be a dietary issue, such as wheat(Celiac disease) or dairy. I would go ahead and start taking her off these things, at least two weeks may help, then when her symptoms go away, add one thing back at a time slowly to see if there is a reaction. 9 times out of 10 it's something simple, not usually a horrible disease.
Best wishes,
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

rachelp1123 HB User

Thank you for responding! I really appreciate it! She has been going mostly once a day, sometimes every other day. Could that still be constipation? I am sort of learning as time goes on. I hope it something not seriouse. I just want her to feel better! Thanks again! Rachel

Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

Rachel:
You would have to see if her poop was hard or soft and what color. Gross I know, but its the only way to know. Hard little balls one day and runny the next is definite constipation. It should be soft and mushy everyday and be light brown in color. Dark brown or black is definitely constipation. (Unless she is eating dark brown or black food) Don't count on her to describe it, its best to look at it for yourself. (Sorry)
As far as dairy is concerned, lactose intolerance can cause stomach pain. I know my husband always gets gas and bad cramps if he drinks a cup of milk.

As far as other things it could be, if it continues the doctor may have to do an ultrasound of her organs.
Hope you find an answer soon!
K.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
(female)

rachelp1123 HB User

thank you K! I will check everything out when she comes home! It was her weekend with her father!
Rachel

Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

rachelp1123 HB User

thank you K! I will check everything out when she comes home! It was her weekend with her father!
Rachel

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
(male)

ZoriWser HB User

There are lot of reasons of the pain sp there is to tough to say about the this condation i hope its better for you to go for a doctor and have a good treatment..
Best of luck.

http://dentalimplantsmanhattan.biz

Last edited by ZoriWser; 10-12-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Closed Thread