It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

jgoldmorris HB User
HELP -2 year old won't eat

So my son has been a pretty bad eater since he started being able to feed himself. I know originally it was a sensory issue. He is very cautious about everything and when he was younger he was especially hesitant about touching anything. I tried jello, pudding, sand, shaving cream and when he was younger - forget it. He has gotten better - he loves to play in the sand, water, ect - although he is still hesitant with new textures.
That said, he was not going to put anything he wouldn't even touch into his mouth. 6 months ago he wasn't eating much but i could get him to eat cheese, ham, fruit, peas and any carb type item (crackers and chips). But that was nothing compared to the other kids his age. We tried to introduce new items and once in a blue (very blue) moon he would take a bite (hamburger, chicken finger) but he wouldn't consistently eat it.
Since then, it has progressively gotten worse. He really only eats cracker type items, french fries (maybe) and chips. I do get him to eat nutrigrain bars for breakfast every day (Praise God). He is picky with drinks too. Milk and applejuice is it. WE've tried every flavor of carnation and pedisure and he wont drink them. Dr said we need to ONLY put healthy foods in front of him and eventually he will eat - he won't let himself starve. Well, we tried that - he woke up at 1:30am with the skakes. Then he drank his milk so fast and actually did take a few bites of strawberries - he ate so fast he threw it all up.
PLEASE help - any one have this issue? He is loosing weight, he is tired and hungry.
PS - we did decide to give him something ( applesauce) right before he goes to bed to prevent the shakes but my poor boy needs more than that and a nutrigrain bar to get through the day.
Prayers appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: HELP -2 year old won't eat

Since he is very sensitive to textures he could have a Sensory Processing Disorder. Some Autistic children are also very sensitive to textures. Ask your pediatrician for a referral to a Occupational Therapist who deals with children for the Sensory Processing Disorder evaluation. If the OT feels he needs further testing for autism, etc. you could move forward from there. Try not to stress too much.....I'm sure there's a solution, it will just take some investigation. Take care

Last edited by rudiraven; 11-29-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

MamaBear1977 HB User

Give him whatever he will eat & go with it. If he likes crunchy things, give him crunchy things. Just try & choose healthy options. Another good suggestion is to give him baby foods - cookies, crackers ect. All starchy baby food has added nutrients in it. Those Gerber granola bars & puffs rock for that kind of thing.
Another thing we do with my son is we give him dry cereal. Any kind, doesn't matter - sugar no sugar - who cares as long as he's eating. & again cereal has added nutrients as long as you aren't buying the organic kind.
(We had all kinds of sensory & eating issues with my son. I worked for months with a occupational therapist to get him over some of those issues)
Just make sure when you introduce new food you let your child explore. Whether that means rubbing it all over their face or the table, only sniffing it or licking it. It doesn't matter - every step is a step. It just takes time. Some kids will take weeks just to touch a food item, let alone to taste it.
Good things take time ;-)

Best of luck to you.
:-)

Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

jgoldmorris HB User

Mamabear - Thank you so much. Very encouraging!
So did working with the OT really help? I have an OT friend (who lives in Fl) who gave me some pointers but we were considering seeing one here in town. Unfortunately my insurance may not cover and it could cost $400 per month (yikes) but I want my boy to eat and I want to try and get him through this now and not when he is older so it might be worth it.
THanks for the tips - last night we had a full on yogurt party last night. He didn't eat any of it - maybe tasted it but he did touch it which my OT friend said was a big step

Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
(female)

WhatWasIThinkin HB User

My almost 5 year old son weighs a whopping 35 pounds, soaking wet, so I feel your pain! He has always been a terrible eater. We've tried it all too, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

Closed Thread