It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
(female)

MommaOf3C7C4S2 HB User
Unhappy Worried & @ a loss

I have a 4 year old son who is ALWAYS sick. I am not even exaggerating a little.
We have testes him for everything! The Dr.'s cant seem to figure this out.. He has had a pattern of a Fever a month since he was 8 months old. His file is HUGE and there are no test results to explain this I have actually quit going to the Dr. for each fever it seems to be a waist for them to look me in the Eye and tell me over and over " It doesn't seem to be contagious" I mean come on people what on earth are they here for if they can't try harder than a urine test and a couple blood tests? This isn't new its been happening for FOUR YEARS!! I am exhausted and haven't had a full nights sleep in FOUR years. Has anyone else had a problem like this that they found out what was going on? Please share with me any ideas.. Thanks

*MommaOf3C7C4S2*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Worried & @ a loss

This certainly needs looked at further, and I would want him evaluated by a team at a Children's hospital clinic. What other symptoms does he have when he gets the fevers? He could have an immune deficiency causing him to get frequent infections or an inflammatory condition like juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, if no localizing symptoms are found. What is his diagnosis when he sees the Drs. Ear infections? Tonsillitis? Bronchitis? Or just fever of unknown etiology? That makes a big difference. So an immune or rheumatology workup may be in order, depending on what has been found on previous exams when febrile, and what symptoms he shows during these episodes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

MommaOf3C7C4S2 HB User

He has has croup, 5 ths disease, Pneumonia, strep throat, & chicken pox. There have been other things I just cant remember right off hand. Those aren't the things that scare me, its the things that scare me its the times they don't know whats wrong that scare me. He has had a fasting blood draw to check his fever and energy symptoms, they have done multiple urine tests to check on his kidneys and everything seems to be fine. The last blood draw they did was May 2013 while he had a fever and his blood tests came back perfect no raised white blood count even and he had a fever. Lung X-rays were clear EVERYTHING was perfect.. He doesn't hurt at all according to him.. The only thing we haven't done is a spinal tap, He has been sick with ear infections in the past but we just went from baths to showers to fix that. I had one Dr. tell me that maybe the fevers were just away for his body to recoup because he is so energized. He doesn't sleep through the night unless he is burning up. It worries me to have to give him medicine all the time though too. I worry about what damage it is doing to his kidneys and liver. Not to mention all the antibiotics, I just wish they could figure out whats wrong and causing all this.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

During the times he has a fever and no other symptoms to suggest a particlular infection, he should have inflammatory blood tests done, like sed rate and CRP. He should also be evaluated by a pediatric rheumatologist to look at autoimmune disorders that cause inflammation and fevers. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and lupus can present this way with no joint symptoms or pain, just fever and malaise, and no evidence of infection. The tests should be done during a febrile episode. I would ask to have him referred to a University or Childreb's hospital rheum clinic for peds.

Reply Reply