It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #1

uofmchris HB User
24 Year Old Male Needs Your Help!

Hey Everyone!

I have read these boards for a while but have yet to post till now. Well I'm to the point where I am quite confused with what's going on in my body and I certainly would appreciate any help that you can provide. I am a 24 year old male who has been living on the road doing promotional marketing tours and has a significant medical history.

Self - Cancer (Wilms Tumor - Kidney) - Age 4
Spinal Meningitis - Age 4
Double Pneumonia - Age 4
Father - Epileptic as a result of Ensephalitis
Mother - Rheumatoid Arthritis
Twin Brother - Benign Tumor in his C6 area
Grandpa - Alzheimers

Below are my symptoms and most of them I have had for the past 15-16 months. As I'm sure you can imagine I am a bit worried about my health. Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

1. Weird headache - not really pain but pressure that jumps from certain areas of my head throughout the day.
2. Loss of Concentration and Focus
3. Forgetfullness - sometimes lose things, get sidetracked easily
4. Muscle Twitching - left eyelid, legs, left thumb, sometimes other
5. Constant Sore Throat - Even after I got my chronically inflamed tonsils out in Jan. I have sore throats often and somewhat of a different feeling when I swallow. (somewhat of an incomplete swallow)
6. Some Coordination problems - although I have always been a little uncoordinated I fear that I've gotten worse dropping things quite often
7. Full head feeling - like my ears are plugged up
8. Stiff Neck - Feel like I need to massage my neck or crack it
9. Problems Sleeping - Although I don't have problems getting to sleep sometimes I have issues with waking up and lately nightmares doubting my memory.
10. Depression - due to all of the above
11. Som fatigue, muscle pain and cramps
11. Feeling of always having to cross my legs when sitting, and if I'm not doing anything with my hands I have to put them together. When I drive I can only drive with one hand on the wheel and it has to be kept low or else my arm gets tired. I often tuck the other hand underneath my leg. (weird?)

If anyone shares some or all of these symptoms could you please share what treatments you have found to be beneficial. Today I just resigned from my job to get off the road and try to resume a "normal" life. Although I know that the stress and inconsistency of my job certainly hasn't helped the situation it is ultimately my health that is causing the most stress.I am also not interesated in taking paxil like my doctor tried last year to mask the symptoms and make me tired. I certainly hope that I don't have any life threatening illness such as Alzheimer's like my Grandpa or Lou Gehrig's. I'm confident though that if I could beat all my illnesses at the age of 4, I can be victorious in this fight. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone out there who suffers. Life is a blessing but one hell of a challenge as well. I guess I have to remember that God doesn't present us issues/problems that we can't tackle.

Thinking positively!

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #2

Dimeit HB User
Re: 24 Year Old Male Needs Your Help!

I had most of the symptoms your talking about for 11 years and it was all caused by bacteria in one root canal and under two old filling.Type in dental bacteria on google search to learn more about it.You can have them and you will not know it.The bacteria have learned how to make you hurt every where except where they live.Its the waste from the bacteria that is the posion that can make you sick.Type in dental bacteria death on google to see what the bacteria its self can do to your heart.
The aveage dentist do not know what these bacteria can do to a persons health so find one that dose or your wasteing your time, money an health.Your doctor cant tell you anything about this because they do not know any more about your teeth than you do.They went to school to be doctors not dentist. Terry

Old 03-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmchris
Hey Everyone!

I have read these boards for a while but have yet to post till now. Well I'm to the point where I am quite confused with what's going on in my body and I certainly would appreciate any help that you can provide. I am a 24 year old male who has been living on the road doing promotional marketing tours and has a significant medical history.

Double Pneumonia - Age 4
Grandpa - Alzheimers

Below are my symptoms and most of them I have had for the past 15-16 months. As I'm sure you can imagine I am a bit worried about my health. Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

1. Weird headache - not really pain but pressure that jumps from certain areas of my head throughout the day.
5. Constant Sore Throat - Even after I got my chronically inflamed tonsils out in Jan. I have sore throats often and somewhat of a different feeling when I swallow. (somewhat of an incomplete swallow)
6. Some Coordination problems - although I have always been a little uncoordinated I fear that I've gotten worse dropping things quite often
9. Problems Sleeping - Although I don't have problems getting to sleep sometimes I have issues with waking up and lately nightmares doubting my memory.
11. Feeling of always having to cross my legs when sitting, and if I'm not doing anything with my hands I have to put them together. When I drive I can only drive with one hand on the wheel and it has to be kept low or else my arm gets tired. I often tuck the other hand underneath my leg. (weird?)

If anyone shares some or all of these symptoms could you please share what treatments you have found to be beneficial. Today I just resigned from my job to get off the road and try to resume a "normal" life. Although I know that the stress and inconsistency of my job certainly hasn't helped the situation it is ultimately my health that is causing the most stress.I am also not interesated in taking paxil like my doctor tried last year to mask the symptoms and make me tired. I certainly hope that I don't have any life threatening illness such as Alzheimer's like my Grandpa or Lou Gehrig's. I'm confident though that if I could beat all my illnesses at the age of 4, I can be victorious in this fight. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone out there who suffers. Life is a blessing but one hell of a challenge as well. I guess I have to remember that God doesn't present us issues/problems that we can't tackle.

Thinking positively!

Chris
Hi Chris, It sounds like you may have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was diagnosed with this dibilitating disease when I was 13 and suffered from the most of the symptoms you have described. Unfortunately, I do not know of any cure for CFS. It can take as long as four years to rid the body. You could also be anemic. Try taking iron supplements - it couldn't hurt. You may also want to get checked for Mono - at least then you would know why this is happening to your body. I wish you the best of luck and strength. I suffer from chronic daily headaches and haven't a clue why. My heart goes out to you, Laura

Old 04-05-2004, 08:38 AM   #4

sittee2b HB User

It sounds an awful lot like CFS. I have had it since I was 12 yrs old so am very familiar with all of the symptoms. What I would suggest is going to the CFIDS Foundation site. I am not sure what the address is but you can do a search to find it. Good luck!!

Old 04-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #5

texasman HB User

I have had the same symptoms for the last 6 months. My symptoms developed right after the flu in November. I have been tested for everything and have found nothing. I finally had a cortisol test done and found my cortisol to be way off. Right now, I am taking low dosages of hyrocortisone and a ton of vitamin supplements. Some of the fatigue has left along with the muscle cramps, but I am still not my self. I thought that I might have Addidion's disease, but I still cannot function at 100% because of the light headed feeling. Well, I hope this helps. CFS is not just an adrenal problem. The central nervous system is damaged in people with CFS. The lower brain stem (which includes the Hypothalamus, Pituitary, and Adrenal glands) have been severly damaged from either viral or enviromental factors. The headaches that you have are possibley caused from low blood sugar (a common factor in CFS). The neck pains that you have are possible caused from low cortisol (lack of which causes muscle weakness in the neck and body. Those nightmares are caused by low blood sugar. Try eating something around 10:00 and see if they go away. The HPA is so important in managing all of the emotions, feelings, and hormones that any slight damage to either one of these will throw the body off into turmoil. What I do to combat CFS.
1. Licorice Root - stops the break down of cortisol. Once in the morning and afternoon.
2. Vitamin C - 3000 mg a day.
3. Vitamin B5 - 1500 mg a day
4. Ginseng - 2x day
5. Eating 6x a day. 8 9 11 2 5 10
6. Multivitamin
7. DHEA - 200 mg - low in patiens with CFS -
8. 50 mg of pregnenolone - hormone which the adrenal uses to make other hormones
9. HPA extracts that you can get from most health stores
10. 20 mg of hydrocortisone - by prescription only.

Finding a doctor that under CFS has been a real nightmare. Well, I hope that this helps. This is a living hell and I do not wish it on anyone. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
(male)

KingFootie HB User
Wink Re: 24 Year Old Male Needs Your Help!

I wonder if your problem can be related to low blood pressure? Maybe, you should look into that as well.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User

I was going to suggest a Mono test, as well. You don't mention having had any tests run. Have many been done, and no diagnosis? Glad you posted. Perhaps the right person will read your post and be able to help! You're right to think positive, or to try to think past it. With my son's illness, I keep remembering the phrase, "This, too, shall pass!". Your symptoms sound very much like Mono. If you do have it, you'll want to know, so they can monitor your spleen and make sure it doesn't become enlarged and damaged. Hope quitting your job will not provide still more stress, or deprive you of the ability to have insurance coverage for medical testing! Best of luck finding the cause of your challenges! You are right to say that you've lived through much, and so probably have a strong constitution!! ~ Tracy

Old 05-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #8

pollyk HB User

Hello Chris (and other posters!),
First off I'm sorry you've been having this trouble. I would suggest to you that you look into either Fibromyalgia and/or Chiari Malformation. I have both. The CM showed up only slightly on the MRI, and not all surgeons wanted to go in. I found a handful who would, and two who did. The first surgeon decided to go big and took too much out, which caused problems and extra weakness for a year. The second surgery fixed me up much better and I am back to being as healthy as I have been in 8 years. Granted, that level might not mean much to a lot of people, but it's a big improvement to me. Basic description of Chiari..... The brain is too large for the space alloted by the skull. I had some removal of the skull and a patch to close that up, also some spinal stenosis was diagnosed and C1 was removed along with some shaving in C2/C3. I almost hope this is your problem. A lot of the patients get a remarkable improvement afterwards. I've been sick since I was 12 with several different ailments, and am now 26, so my chances weren't quite as bright. But, I'm glad to have done it. Anyway, it's something to consider. I wish you luck and of course great health in the future. It sounds as though you and your family have had quite the ride all ready.
-polly

Old 05-13-2004, 05:14 PM   #9

uofmchris HB User

I wanted to let everyone know that I just got back from my EMG at the University of Chicago. The neurologist who performed the test said that everything seemed normal to him. He gave me a quick neurological work up before he performed the test on my left arm and my neck and was impressed with my strength. He asked about all my symptoms and when I told him that I was having trouble swallowing he instantly seemed more curious. I aked him what the chances of me having ALS are and he said that he could assure me that I did not have ALS. He said that ALS does not present sensory symptoms and I definitely do with pain, headaches, etc. Has anyone else heard the same thing? I am kinda concerned that he only checked my left arm and my neck. My throat has been driving me crazy lately. Not only am I having problems swallowing but it's like it's twitching in my neck that causes me to constantly cough. Has anyone else had problems with their throat twitching? The doctor also proceeded to mention that they may be able to do all these tests on me and never find anything wrong. This is really the frustrating part to me because something is definitely going on. My twin brother is convinced that this is all in my head and that I'm fine. I only wish that I felt fine.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #10
(male)

KingFootie HB User

uofmchris,

I've been complaining of some of the same symptoms you have:

1. Headaches almost everyday.
2. Loss of Concentration and Focus.
3. Forgetfulness - sometimes lose things, get sidetracked easily.
4. Muscle Twitching - legs, arms, chest.
5. Numbness in my left arm and fingertips.
6. Loss of balance in the mornings getting off the bed.
7. Never ending fatigue.
8. Stiff Neck - Feel like I need to massage my neck or crack it.
9. Problems Sleeping - Restlessness, particularly in the legs.
10. Depression - due to all of the above.
11. Weakened muscles.
12. Heart palpitations, fast heartbeats.
13. Excessive sweating in the groin and sometimes armpits.

I've been to a cardiologist who put me on a treadmill, took blood and everything was fine. However, he recommended seeing a neurologist or chiropractor. For me, it makes sense because I was involved in a few car accidents some years ago -- maybe I have a pinched nerve somewhere in the spine. Iíve been told (by a chiropractor) that all these symptoms can be caused by a pinched nerve. Have you ever been involved in a car accident or did you at some point lift heavy objects that couldíve damaged your back?

Hope this helps.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #11

alphamale9009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmchris
Hey Everyone!

Double Pneumonia - Age 4
Grandpa - Alzheimers

Thinking positively!

Chris

You have symptoms of anxiety, overproduction of stress hormones. It runs the spectrum from shyness to Cushing's syndrome, which can be caused by kidney cancer because the adrenal glands are located on the kidneys. As a result of damage you may be overproducing adrenalin and cortisol, which can cause anxiety, diabetes, and heart disease, usually in that order, over time. Stopping your job was the right thing to do, you should experience some improvement from less stress. Every one of your symptoms indicate anxiety, even the full or sore throat, it's just like having a lump in your throat when you get anxious, but since you have chronic anxiety, it doesn't go away.

In some, you have stress hormone overproduction (adrenalin, cortisol, ephinephrine (brain adrenalin)). You could have cushing's syndrome which is on the largest end of the spectrum of anxiety disorders and is caused by cancer of the kidneys. Moon face is the main characteristic of cushings syndrome, a very rounded face. My advice is to get your doctor to give you some anti-anxiety agents, xanax or klonopin, i recommend the latter. SSRI's i never really recommend because they have a depressive effect on me, and most people i have talked to.

You are stressed tha heck out man. Stress hormones are destroying your health. They can cause diabetes and heart disease. You have to do something about it now. The good thing is it's easy enough, but if you're like me and you have to work and go to school, you need drugs because you may not have the option of taking 6 months of rest, relaxation, and MILD exercise to recuperate. If you do, that's a good idea, but you still may need an anti-anxiety agent.

hope this helps,
alpha

Old 05-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #12
(female)

spungy HB User

I agree with alpha
Sounds like anxiety too me
I suffer this so i know what kind of symtoms it produces.
I had many tests before I was diagnosed.
I never believed it could happen to me.
But it does ...even to the best of us.
You may want to look on the Stress and Anxiety board.
I think you will find your symtoms match
Good luck..let us know
Spungy

Closed Thread