It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

GILLIBABES HB User
Sleep All Day - Desperate

20 yrs (since I was 15) all I have wanted to do is sleep all day. I wake up exhausted and find it very difficult to pull myself out of my sleep to get the kids ready for school. As soon as they are away I go straight back to bed and find it so hard again to get up and see them home from school. I have aches and pains in my neck and shoulders, really loud creaking in my knees and I have such an embarrassingly awful short-term memory. People would have to tell me the name of their new baby 4 times in one conversation for example and I have forgotten 3 visits to the doctor in a row (despite looking at the calendar that morning). My kids are going wild cos I hardly have the energy to chastise them and I really feel they are missing out as I hardly ever have the energy to take them anywhere. The housework piles up and my husband says I'm lazy, but I just have to wait til the odd day I feel I have more energy and then go at it like the hammers. Oh and I have impossible sugar cravings which I'm sure are because of the tiredness as they are ten times worse if I have been up half the night with one of the youngsters.
Any help would be really, really appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
(male)

The Sleeper HB User
Re: Sleep All Day - Desperate

Get to the doctor, its a pain and can take a long time to find the problem for sure. I also sleep way too much, usually like 16 hours a day. This all began after a bout with mono. At first it was thought to be CFS, now after an MRI of my brain they think MS. I have to see a Neurologist now, maybe I will get a sure answer. You probably won`t until you get enough tests done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

tc12346 HB User

please read about candida. I was like you until I found out about candida. Do a search online for candida diet. I swear you will feel better.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
(female)

GILLIBABES HB User

Thank you all for your replies. Can't think of anything particular that happened - but it's so long ago. I did have Glandular Fever and I remember sleeping in class all the time. I have had a candida test done which was positive but I didn't really know what to do with it - all the diets seem to cut out sugar first and the cravings I get are just way too strong. I am definitely going to try the osteopath too as I didn't realise creaky knees was a symptom of hypoglycemia - do you know if they all carry out these tests or is there a way to find a good one?
Many thanks,
Gillian.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
(female)

sleepytee HB Usersleepytee HB User

You sound just like me....only it is now 12 years later. I slept for 2 years. Litterally. I am a middle child and had myself surrounded by needy people. My husband is very "laid back"; my kids were 4, 8 & 10 when it started. My daughter (the middle child) told me the other day she resents me for being in bed all the time. Because I didn't have a "pointable" illness; like amputated leg, you know something someone could see....I seemed lazy. It changed me and it has greatly affected me. 6 months ago I started going back into it....They said then it was Chronic Fatigue, now FMS....only now this time I have the incredible dread and exhausted feeling AND the severe debilitating pain in my entire body all the time. Exercise only makes it worse. I just found this board 2 days ago. It seems to be awesome. Make your kids respect you and TRY real hard not to let other people undermine the decisions you do make for them. Try ritilin.....it is truly a miracle drug.....it is the only thing that wakes me up enough to think......My husband would give it to me in the morning 30 min. before I would get up; and I could get up. It is addictive and once you start don't stop. I fought the idea of taking it after a sleep study recommended it once.....slept for 2 years. I started taking the same dosage most children get put on 20mg in AM. It does the opposite (energy wise) for children, but the same for the "thinking part"....it like organizes your thoughts....take it the same exact time every day. I wish you well.
Tammy

Old 03-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
(female)

GILLIBABES HB User

Thanks Tammy, good to know you can get out of this - I have afeeling though I was refused Ritalin before as it is not to be used by asthmatics. Have you possibly heard of anything else as good?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
(male)

lodoka HB User

What you have is Fibro, sorry to say.. Their is not much a doctor can do about this... Most CFIDS or CFS are cause by immune reaction to certain infection such as mono, cmv or hhv 6.. For me it was EBV, CMV and HHV 6 all three at the same time..

What you feel is not normal and best way to get over that is to enhance your natural killer cell..

Most Regular MD will not do a Complex Immune System test.. Complex Immune System known as Full Lympocyte Panel Exam by Sonora Quest Lab, shows all your T Cells and B Cell with Natural Killer cell..'

You need to see a immunologist who can order those for you... Any how, check what your T Cells are and your natural killer cell..

That should tell you exactly why u feel so tired...

Start taking garlic it enhances your Natural killer cell and go to sleep Early Way Early... Like at 9 pm and wake up around 8 , even if you feel like Sleeping DO NOT sleep.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
(male)

woody1 HB User

Provigil (See Readers Digest Oct 04 issue; Less Sleep More Energy article.) is a newer drug that sounds good to me. I typed in a search for it on this site and find it is being rx'ed for many uses and has many results listed. I too have no get up and go and would like to try this myself.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi all.

I have recently been dx'd with CFS. I was dx'd with FM in 2002, but just the last 6 or so months have been showing symptoms of CFS. My PCP prescribed me Provigil 200mg. You take it once a day, and it helps with mental clarity and fatigue. And for me it DOES help. I don't feel the need to take 4 naps a day! A lot of people worry about sleeping after they take this med, but I have been on Klonopin since I was dx'd with FM, so I can say that I don't have trouble sleeping because of the Klonopin.

Just thought I'd let you all know about this med. I TOO have heard about meds like Ritalin or Strattera for ADD that can help with fatigue, but I think it's hard to convince your doc to prescribe ADD meds. Ask your doc about Provigil, that's all I did, and it was like "no problem". I know how awful it is to feel so stinkin' tired all day, all you do is sleep.

Hope this helps some of you,
tk

Old 04-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
(female)

GILLIBABES HB User

Thank you all for your replies I really,really appreciate them all. I just know there is a way out of this! Took 6 weeks to get an appointment and then it was cancelled the night before. So 3 weeks later and I'm going again- can't wait now to see if he'll give me this Provogil -sounds like great stuff!! Let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.xx

Old 04-17-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
(female)

kyethra HB User
Talking Re: Sleep All Day - Desperate

I have been on Provigil since January. For me it was a small miracle. I would also sleep all day. I would need 12-18 hours- usually in one stretch. I was afraid to go to sleep because sometimes I just could not seem to wake up again. I was scared that I would have to move back home-- I'd lost two jobs and classes were going miserably for me and I just kept thinking to myself that I have to be able to do all this stuff, but I can't.

My doctor first put me on Ritalin and it helped some, but not a whole lot (though I did like the five pounds I immediately lost on it).

I was on the 200mg of Provigil for about 1.5 months and then it was bumped up to 400mg. At night I also take Klonopin, though my doc is thinking up switching me to topomax. I also take a billion other meds for what was eventually diagnosed as Fibromyalgia.

Also, caffeine isn't something that I'm supposed to have because it can give me low blood sugar and upset my stomach (GERD). So right now I am doing ok.

I get up every morning. Its so exciting. I just pop out of bed after 8-10 hours of sleep. And I stay awake- no more fear of driving. I never understood how people could just wake up like that anymore.

And when I take naps during the day they are usually short and not hours long like before. And it has helped me with my organizational abilities too.

I also take cymbalta to help with the pain and I am on Baclofen for the muscle spasms.

Provigil can be really expensive though. I'm a poor college student so I applied for the medication through NORD and I was granted it for now. So that is something that is great. Its really exciting to start to feel a bit like my old self again.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
(male)

lodoka HB User

kyethra - how old are you , and where do you live ?

I am curious, becuase I am also male and 21 and life sucks with all these dam CFIDS

Closed Thread