New here, and like many of you, tired/exhausted/fatigued (take your pick.) For the past year and a half (at least) I've been fatigued beyond what I know is normal for a 26-year-old. I have to really pace myself with everything from social activities to housework. I had mono for a second time in my life two years ago in the fall; I'm not sure if I just never bounced back after that or it started later--it's all a little fuzzy. But I did finally go to a doctor starting this past August and have been a guinea pig for blood work and other tests since then. Still no diagnoses, although at the rate other possibilities being eliminated, along with the fact that I can say yes to too many of the diagnostic criteria, it's looking more and more like CFS.
I know you all have done this hundreds of times already, but I was hoping that if I listed my symptoms you could give me some feedback. Unfortunately, I have not had the good sense to actually ask for a copy or write down the results of all of the bloodwork I've had done, but I'll be asking my doctor for the numbers next time I see her (in a week or so I'm sure...)
- tire easily (aka low stamina?)
- often wake up tired, even though I often sleep in and take naps almost every day
- extended recovery periods after overdoing it (post-exertional malaise?)
- more frequent headaches--hard to say if they're any different than ones I've had in the past because I used to get headaches so rarely
- minor pain in various places in arms, legs, and... everywhere I guess
- have random muscle twitches
- frequently have sore lymph nodes in neck and armpits
- sometimes feel weak and even a little lightheaded
- both long term and short term memory seem to be short circuiting
- often feel fuzzy brained
Things I'm not sure are related:
- sensitive to extreme heat/cold (lucky me to be living in hot and humid Texas, no?)
- cold hands/feet
- back pain -- not sure is from pregnancy 3 years ago, 9 pound babies that kick and don't stop can't be good for your back.
- have had mono twice (and I know that isn't supposed to be possible, but it was confirmed as mono both times so I guess I'm just lucky that way.)
- in past 6 months have had several urinary tract infections
- had normal B12 levels in one test, but in more recent bloodwork doc said it was low (not sure if low means lower than before our out of the normal range)
I also had an incident a few weeks ago in which I was extremely itchy all over my body. It was weird, and after a couple of days (and a LOT of Benedryl--like I really wanted to be MORE sleepy!) it gradually went away.
A few specific questions:
1. CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Disorder) and CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) -- are they the same thing or slightly different? From what I can piece together they are one and the same, so why the different names?
2. The "flu like symptoms" -- for most CFS sufferers, are those pretty much a constant? Because, although I do get frequent headaches, sore lymph notes, etc., I don't necessarily get them all of the time or all together. Some days I'm just plain exhausted and mentally dull all day. Other days I notice more aches and pains. Just wondering how flu-like people with CFS feel, and if those symptoms wax and wane as well.
3. How do you all define "brain fog"?
Well, I had more questions but I didn't get them down fast enough so flit-flit
, away they went.
Thanks in advance for any input.