It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 10:56 PM   #1

mollipop HB User
Post I've been tired all my life.

I just had some blood work done to figure out why I'm so tired. Doc said everything was fine and it's not thyroid, diabetes, anemia, etc. I can remember being tired since I was a kid at least 11 yrs old (23 yrs old now). Memory/concentration bad, always cold, can't get out of bed, sleeping problems, sooo tired. Doc said could be CFS or Mono. Can you have mono for 12 years? Symptoms seem to be getting worse though, esp. memory and fatigue. What do you think? I just want to stay in bed all day.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
CoCoMedic

Check out Adrenal Fatigue....There is a good book written by James Wilson.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 08:14 AM   #3
Mistee Oaks

I had Mono when I was 7 years old. Very young to have had Mono. I have been tired my whole life too. Have had many tests and nothing ever shows up. I have asked my doctor if there could be any connection and he just scoffed.
I wonder if there is a connection.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

Apodder HB User
I have the same problem. My doc finally decided it might be dysthymia; a very mild, chronic depression. See what your doc thinks; maybe you could benefit from an antidepressant! Worth a try.

Last edited by Apodder; 12-06-2003 at 01:37 PM.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:50 AM   #5

James123 HB User
Diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollipop
I just had some blood work done to figure out why I'm so tired. Doc said everything was fine and it's not thyroid, diabetes, anemia, etc. I can remember being tired since I was a kid at least 11 yrs old (23 yrs old now). Memory/concentration bad, always cold, can't get out of bed, sleeping problems, sooo tired. Doc said could be CFS or Mono. Can you have mono for 12 years? Symptoms seem to be getting worse though, esp. memory and fatigue. What do you think? I just want to stay in bed all day.
I was exhausted and fatigued for many years. I now know that there are "fatigue foods" and I have to be careful to avoid them or limit their intake. Try this experiment; you have nothing to lose: eliminate dairy products and tomatoe products and see if you don't see drastic results in 2 or 3 days.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User
Re: I've been tired all my life.

Your doc's need to pull their heads out of the clouds. There's a lot of documentation that suggest mono is directly related to CFS and Epstein-Barr. There's also the slight chance of Narcolepsy. I have it and for years had docs test for all of the above and go as far as to tell me it was in my head and caused by depression. Depression can cause a lot of symptoms but it is also a secondary player in a lot of physical illnesses. Do you have any other "weird" things/symptoms going on that you don't see as being related? What are they?

Old 12-03-2003, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

Hi
My mum has CFS, she's been a lot better since she went on an elimination diet, she discovered that eating wheat, dairy, citrus, chocolate and smoked foods made her worse. Might be worth a try, you cut out practically everything you could possibly be intolerant of for three weeks and then add things in one at a time, mum did one a week. If you want more info let me know.
xxx

Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM   #8

James123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebanana
Hi
My mum has CFS, she's been a lot better since she went on an elimination diet, she discovered that eating wheat, dairy, citrus, chocolate and smoked foods made her worse. Might be worth a try, you cut out practically everything you could possibly be intolerant of for three weeks and then add things in one at a time, mum did one a week. If you want more info let me know.
xxx
WOW! It must be standard because I am intolerant of those foods too! They make me chronically fatigued (i.e., brain fog, irritable for noise and just about everything else, cranky, EXHAUSTED, negative, short-term memory problems).

When I seriously cut down on those foods, all of the above radically changes. I brought all of my complaints to my doctor and he never mentioned food as a problem. Nothing ever comes up on tests to suggest there's any problems with me. And yet, I suffer chronic fatigue when I eat these foods.

So all chronic fatigue sufferers who are at a loss to explain their condition and who are frustrated that their doctors think it's all in their heads, should seriously consider monitoring their foods.

Thanks for validating my experiences with chronic fatigue. (I'm 39 and have been battling this unnamed weird condition for 25 years.)

Old 12-05-2003, 08:03 PM   #9

mik577 HB User

Quote:
Have you been checked for hepatitis A, B, or C? mik577

Old 12-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #10

redlinestar HB User

Quote:
Hi
xxx
i've been having similar problems for a few years now. lately, it's become a great concern to me. i feel draggy, unmotivated, and i have this sense of being "out of it" (spaced out, not focused on anything.) a couple years ago, i took ginko for about two or three months. i had mono my freshman year in highschool, i'm 22 now. i'm not sure if that's important, but i thought i should add it in.

wheat, dairy, citrus??? what else is left? i have IBS, so i need the fiber from the wheat. i guess i can just drink water all the time. i don't drink coffee because it REALLY kicks the IBS into overdrive, and i have completely eliminated sodas from my diet. i rarely consume alcohol and don't take drugs. actually, my diet consists mainly on oats and eggs for breakfast, a sandwich (usually a veggie burger or lunch meat) for lunch, and whatever is available for dinner. is there anything specific within these three groups that triggers a reaction that would cause me to feel so un-energized?

i was also wonder if it had something to do with my sleeping patterns. i feel that i'm regular in getting enough sleep, but i'm concerned that it's more the quality of sleep that i'm getting. recently, i've been waking up several times in the middle of the night, and when i wake up, i don't really feel that rested. is the mattress important with this? room noises (most of the time i leave my computer on over night)?

could this also be due to low testosterone levels? this lack of drive, focus, energy is really getting to me. probably what concerns me most is that the "condition" is starting to have some sexual side-effects to the point where i just can't focus enough or have enough energy to care about becoming aroused. there's a strong desire to do so, but there feels like an overwhelming lack of focus.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Do you eat a lot of tuna? You could have mercury poisoning. The doctor can tell with a blood test. If you have it, it will take four months to leave your system. Albacore tuna has three times the amount of mercury than chunck light. I hope your problem is this simple to cure.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Quote:
I have same problem. Had all the tests. Thyroid was low. Felt good the first 3 weeks of of taking synthroid. After that same problem. Increasing the dose of synthroid did not help. Tried anti depressants. Made me more tired. Had mono and all the blood tests. Everything normal. My joints ache and I have constant burning/pain sensation. Tests show no arthritis. My last resort is a Neurologists to be tested for something call Neuropathy.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM   #13
(female)

Apodder HB User

Fibromyalgia, perhaps?

Old 01-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #14

AnaRoman HB User

Quote:
Hi
xxx
Bluebanana I am interested in hearing a bit more about what your mum did for her elimination diet. A doctor once suggested a verison of it to me, but at the time there were other things going on that I need to focus on and the diet got left out. This might be a point where I am able and willing to try it

Old 01-28-2004, 06:57 AM   #15

CrystalSpirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre
I have same problem. Had all the tests. Thyroid was low. Felt good the first 3 weeks of of taking synthroid. After that same problem. Increasing the dose of synthroid did not help. Tried anti depressants. Made me more tired. Had mono and all the blood tests. Everything normal. My joints ache and I have constant burning/pain sensation. Tests show no arthritis. My last resort is a Neurologists to be tested for something call Neuropathy.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][SIZE=6]RStarre, many people still have symptoms of CFS/fibro/depression and what-not on synthroid. Please, please, please read some articles on the internet about the controversy now between whether to take synthroid or natural dessicated thyroid (which you can get without a prescription if you search around enough on the internet).

Maybe join [removed] Many of them took synthroid, like you, and had little to no improvement. There is a theory that many CFS/fibro patients are not able to convert the T-4 (synthroid) to the usable T-3 form. Therefore, their labs look normal but every cell in their body is still starving for T-3.

I'm not saying run right out now and buy dessicated thyroid or anything...just saying, what harm would it do to look some things up on the internet, Dr. Lowe's research, Mary Shoman's research, etc. and see what they say about CFS and fibro and synthroid versus Armour?

Were you aware that in 2001, the FDA took action against the makers of synthroid and declared that at that time, there was NO synthetic thyroid hormone on the market that was safe or effective, because of the lack of quality control and failure to ensure dose consistency?

I know I sound like an ad - I'm not selling anything. I'm just someone who used to have CFS/fibro/depression and a million other ailments, with a "normal" thyroid whose illnesses magically vanished upon taking a trial dose of dessicated thyroid (in my case, Nutri-meds dessicated thyroid).

CS

Last edited by moderator2; 02-03-2004 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Not allowed to post other boards. Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Thank you.

Closed Thread