It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User
Sick AGAIN!

I am really upset, because I was starting to FINALLY feel a little better, not great but not so tired that I get winded walking up the stairs. Some of you may know I was diagnosed with mono LAST September and have been sick with it since then. Well two days ago I started getting this really terrible fatigue and today I feel like I didn't even sleep at all last night. I am about to go take a nap, in fact, when I only got up about 4 hours ago. School starts in 10 days and I don't know what to do. I can't face another "bad" episode. I don't know what made this come on again...I literally feel like I just took 5 benadryl or something. Should I just rest and relax? I know the dr's keep telling me I need to "stay active" but I think that will only make me worse...atleast how I am feeling right now.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
(female)

loem HB User
Re: Sick AGAIN!

I had mono.. which stuck around and became chronic fatigue. from experience, if your going through a bad patch/relapse its much better to rest, that way you dont exhaust yourself further, and you also give your body a chance to recover. especially if your heading back to school soon, you'll probably find that tiring alone. bad patches shouldn't last long however, although it is a bit of a rut you have to crawl out of, so when you are feeling back up to it start exercising more and go about as you usually do. doctors advise this because they say..

.. if you spend all your time resting.. your heart muscles and general muscles degenerate .. then when you do exercise/follow normal routine you find it more of an effort and thus get tired easier... and its a viscious cycle... which it is.

Mono is bad, people dont often realise how tiring and debilitating it gets. However, only you know what your capable of, and everyone is different.

Loem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Hey Loem

Thanks for the reply. This "episode" just came on so suddenly...I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutues the night before (I use the treadmill 4 times a week for this amount of time) , and the next morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck. This is how my first bout with mono came on. Atleast my glands aren't swollen yet...before my glands under my armpits were extrememly swollen, and I couldn't even swallow my throat hurt so bad...this time I am just very exhausted and my face and jaw are a little swollen. My appetite is gone and I am having to force feed myself soup.

It is very frustrating when people really don't realize how bad mono can be. Most just think it is a sickness a lot of people get then it goes away in a week or two...well, mine has been over a year now. When I have mentioned CFS to people they just give me blank looks, I don't even try to explain. I get sick of telling people I am sick! It is the truth but people get sick of hearing it especially when they don't understand your disease.

BTW..have you had any problems with your thyroid gland being "destroyed" or affected by your mono/CFS? My Dr. mentioned this to me. Most of my thyroid tests have been regular but since I got the mono I have noticed I put on weight much easier now than before I had mono, and I was wondering if my thryoid has been affected.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

loem HB User

i also wonder the same thing. i put on weight much easier myself now, though i cant directly link it with CFS, it could easily just be age. Last few sets of bloodtests i had all came back normal for thyroid, only my white blood cell count is always high. though what you say your doctor said, sounds interesting. i made a post on here regarding my glands though nobody has replied yet. I will ask about this on my next trip to doctors, i would definately say mono/CFS effects something in your neck. i know my lymph nodes are abnormally large and painfull, i think this is connected more with the immune system though, after drinking alchohol it hurts much worse. However thyroid disorders often produce the same symptoms as CFS - fatigue/malaise/etc. i read that sometimes eating wheat and dairy products flares up CFS. If you are drinking soup, i'd suggest making friends with the sofa and leaving the dreadmill for a while!!
I gave in trying to explain why i go to bed at 10 on school nights. Its far better waiting until an exam results day and seeing that you've done better than totally healthy people, who put in 100%, wen you've had to put in 200% just not to fall asleep in class!
take care
Loe. M

Closed Thread