It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #1

Atthis HB User
Job

I've just been offered my first paying job, doing something that I love, that will really help me gain experience and references for the future -- and I'm afraid that I won't be able to take it because I'm so tired and sick. If I didn't have school I could do it. Stupid school. At least there's only one more year, but I don't know how I'm going to get through this year.

I wish that I had the energy to juggle school and a job. I've been waiting for this offer for a while; I don't want to give up the opportunity!

-Atthis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User
Re: Job

Can you explain to the employers your condition?? Work maybe 15 hours a week? Don't try to go full time. No job is worth a relapse that could take you months to recover from. Are you in HS or college??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #3

Atthis HB User

High School. And not having such a good time right now; my concentration is very off, especially in the maths and sciences, and I'm having difficulty not falling asleep during classes.

If I could work out some kind of arrangement with the school where I could lie down periodically, that might help, since lying down seems to help lesson my symptoms, for a time anyway. Or if I could take breaks and not have a full hour class all at once. But it's hard to make that kind of arrangement when you don't have a diagnosis yet! I'm hoping I will soon have a clear diagnosis; fingers crossed.

It would definitely be a part time job, not even many hours, but I'm worried about being able to hold even that, since I have school in addition to it.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Have you ever been able to take time off school to completely rest?? Even taking one week off could make a difference. If you try and "work through" your condition without trying to rest first it won't work. Did you test positive for mono?EBV? What exactly is your diagnosis?

Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
(female)

kiya HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atthis
I've just been offered my first paying job, doing something that I love, that will really help me gain experience and references for the future -- and I'm afraid that I won't be able to take it because I'm so tired and sick. If I didn't have school I could do it. Stupid school. At least there's only one more year, but I don't know how I'm going to get through this year.

I wish that I had the energy to juggle school and a job. I've been waiting for this offer for a while; I don't want to give up the opportunity!

-Atthis
You have absolutely nothing to lose by giving this job a try. It can be hard doing anything when you feel tired all the time. Everything's tough. The only thing I can say is this:

I wake up every day and don't feel like moving out of bed. But I do. I get up every day. I work part-time and I've recently started a course in Chemistry, which is two mornings a week. In a week's time I start back at my one day a week uni course.

This as you can imagine makes me feel really exhausted. But I love my job, it makes me happy. Chemistry I need for medicine, so I'm taking that. I "survive" by making sure I'm in bed by 9pm for a good 9-10 hours' sleep. Every evening I just sit and relax. Every weekend I try to do the same.

You're saying that this is a job you'll love. I reckon that the happiness and experience that it'll bring you will more than outweigh the increased tiredness you'll feel. Obviously you must gauge it according to your own personal symptoms and severity of CFS, but take it from me, from one who's constantly struggling through a blur as if sleepwalking, doing everything you want to do (within reason ) will keep your spirits up and your motivation going.

I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever you chose.

kiya

Last edited by kiya; 09-19-2005 at 06:44 AM.

Closed Thread