It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #1

Atthis HB User
results -- help

Hey, so we got some of the results from the bloodwork just now, and I will talk to my physician about it, but hopefully some of you who know a lot about all this can give me a hand with figuring stuff out ....

-I tested negative for EBV
-negative for hypothyroidism
-don't have a nutritional deficiency (so there, anti-vegetarians!)
-I have a low insulin level (fasting)
-I have low white blood cell count

The insulin thing doesn't mean I have diabetes does it?

As for the white blood cells, I suppose it makes sense that that could be a cause for my low immunity and constant viral infections, sore throat, etc.

Still need to be tested for the orthostatic intolerance.

I don't know if I have CFIDS, but those of you with more experience, do people with CFIDS ever have these problems -- especially the low WBC count?

thx,
Atthis

Last edited by Atthis; 10-07-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
(female)

kiya HB User
Re: results -- help

I should think that low WBC would indicate a previous infection that's disrupted your immune system and could possibly explain tiredness, fatigue and repeated infections.

With the insulin result, did you have blood glucose readings taken too? Usually they are used to diagnose diabetes.

Check your thyroid results - ask for the actual numbers as the range is quite large and can be unrepresentative of a healthy thyroid function.

kiya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #3

Atthis HB User

Turns out my blood glucose is normal, which is good. I'm a little confused though, because my physician told me that:
-My test results were perfect and could not be better
-My low WBC count did not indicate a problem and was not worth investigating further.

My WBC is 3800, below the 4000 which is the lower barrier for normal, and I tried to do some research and all the medical websites I found said that a WBC count below 4000 means Leukopenia, which is a blood disorder and compromises immunity. On the other hand, I understand "looking at the whole picture," for instance my neutrophils are normal. So I don't know.

Last edited by Atthis; 10-07-2005 at 08:19 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

A low WBC is not uncommon among those with CFIDS.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

kiya HB User

It's not all that low though and doesn't appear to be something to worry about, it still probably goes some way to explaining the way you feel though. That's my personal, non-medical opinion.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

Atthis,

My pcp doctor for years said my CBC and CMC results were fine, tho, many items were listed in the bold black, including iron level for over 4 years. When I went to a PM doctor for a second opinion, prior to seeing Dr Holtorf, his first look he stated I needed iron without even looking at blood work.

Then at the FMS & Fatigue Center a 24 page worksheet is completed for your first visit and then after the doctor meets with you and addresses your major symptoms lab work is ordered. I had 34 vials of blood drawn; it was the most complete and comprehensive work-up I have ever had. When I had the results reviewed by the Dr Holtorf I was placed on a thyroid natural hormone along with adrenal gland support.

Having had a low temp and low blood pressure for years; I thought was normal for me. I found out through this illness that it doesn't have to be. For the first time in my life I have had days were my temp is 98.4 and my blood pressure runs around 120/80 with the help of the above along with fludrocortisone and a beta blocker. I also have been on antibiotics for the active cellular and blood level infections which helped. When my symptoms are down my temp and blood pressure go up.

As I said in another post, an endocrinologist is one who reads the results of CMC and CBC then addresses all the inconsistencies. They get you feeling better.

P.S. Dr Kent Holtorf in one...and I've spoken to others that have experinced positive results by going to one.

One of the problems I had was orthostatic intolerance, especially when very sick. The symptoms you describe are just like mine...low immune system, sore throat... do you have any neurological symptoms like vision problems, night time vision, cognitive thinking, fight or flight feeling (like your adrenaline is running and won't shut off), hypersensitivities to sound, smell...constant runny nose at times,and/or chemical sensitivites?
uvm

Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #7

Atthis HB User

UVM, I do have some of those things: the adrenaline all the time, yes! Sometimes I will have an adrenaline rush that lasts for hours, and for no apparent reason. It's very unpleasant. I am also hypersensitive to sounds and certain smells (last year they tarred the roofs at my school and I had to go home; I was pale and shaking violently and the substitute teacher got freaked out). As for cognitive thinking, I'm not sure precisely what you mean, but I have trouble processing things when there is a lot of stimuli. Taking tests are hard, particularly when any kind of mathematics is involved.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atthis
UVM, I do have some of those things: the adrenaline all the time, yes! Sometimes I will have an adrenaline rush that lasts for hours, and for no apparent reason. It's very unpleasant. I am also hypersensitive to sounds and certain smells (last year they tarred the roofs at my school and I had to go home; I was pale and shaking violently and the substitute teacher got freaked out). As for cognitive thinking, I'm not sure precisely what you mean, but I have trouble processing things when there is a lot of stimuli. Taking tests are hard, particularly when any kind of mathematics is involved.
Atthis,
I have experienced the shaking violently, scarring both friends and family when it happened. I even had one person who asked me if I had started using street drugs! (I have been healed from chemical addiction since 1991, and a leader in a Christian 12-Step Program since 1999. No it was the illness that causes these symptoms.)

What I mean by cognitive thinking problems: not able to multi-task, not able to focus on a task when there is too much stimuli. An example for me is as a Financial Service Representative my work entailed helping members with their financial needs, transactions, loan processing, new accounts, etc... Dealing in person and over the phone, it was a very fast pace and non stop position, I loved it. However, as I got sick and then sicker...I struggled...short term memory was gone, I would hold my head to focus on something. Where before I could do many things at one time, I could barily do one thing. There were times I had my customer repeat themselves over and over, because I couldn't comprehend what was being said, that's scary.

Other times, noise was so amplified that I would wear earplugs to soften the sound. Even my own steps were 100 times louder than they should be on carpet.

Have you experienced a metallic taste?

If you have...that is part of the symptoms. And I want to share hope with you.
uvm

Last edited by ukiahvalleymom; 10-11-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Closed Thread